Travelocity travel "broker" website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 09 Aug 2019

Numpty question here. 
A while back when I was posting about an upcoming Canada/USA road trip, someone advised me to rent car(s) just picking the cheapest off Travelocity. 
I gather that Travelocity is an all-round automatic online travel broker, a bit like Skyscanner but for more than just flights. 

I use Skyscanner to get a broad idea of flight times and prices but then usually book direct with airline, as the "unbelievably" cheap deals often seem to be booked via dubious booking agencies like Agoda. 

Is it similar with Travelocity? I ask because there are some surprisingly low prices being offered for a 1 week rental in Canada ($160 with Enterprise, assume US dollar on that, whereas on the Enterprise site I am looking at £280)

Basically - if I book through Travelocity will I find a load of hidden fees or even more dubious tactics? 

EDIT - ah that example above was not like-for-like, the $160 was a "mystery" car. I got another clue - the Enterprise site I'd got the £280 from, was the .co.uk one. Go to .ca and the same car is £200, and they too have Travelocity's listed "mystery" car at $160. Did similar test on Hertz except there, booking for Canada through the .co.uk goes to crazy prices  

So Travelocity is actually in this case just showing the supplier price then. Yay. But I would still book through Enterprise. And I've answered my own OP but will post anyway as it may be of use to others. 

Bob Hughes 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Travelocity is pure brand. The technology and commercials are Expedia, which bought them a few years back.

In reply to Bob Hughes:

Thanks

Tangentially to this...
Proper planning now, and I have a shop-window price from SIXT for a 9 day rental at $400 ($320 for 6.5 days)
The same car and period is coming up at $509 or $390 on Travelocity for SIXT. 

What's going on there then?

A recent experience with EasyHotel Luton taught me that booking through booking.com in that case would have saved me 30% as they include the sneaky extra fee that EasyHotel whacked onto a one night stay. 
Will I see the same with SIXT by the time I actually reach checkout, will they add something magical?!

Dave Garnett 15 Aug 2019

> The same car and period is coming up at $509 or $390 on Travelocity for SIXT. 

In my experience the attractive price for car hire (especially airport car hire) offered online has little resemblance to what you actually end up paying anyway, however hard you push back.

Somehow there always some extra charge worked in and, after waiting for half an hour in the queue and with equally frustrated people behind, and with no immediate alternative, they know you have a limited negotiating position. 

Post edited at 14:22
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I often collect a rental car from Hertz at the airport (not from flying in, just that they are my nearest local branch, East Midlands Airport) and only rarely do they try to throw a load more expenses on at collection. Collected in Stuttgart and Porto no problems. Collected in Hamburg and they tried to add 500E to a 230E rental! I stopped them from doing this...

Related to OP

I just skim read a few travel forums and saw a number of comments saying that when renting a car in Canada or USA you must do it via the .co.uk site for the renter (e.g. Hertz)
True or false and if true, why (and do the .com and .ca sites even let me get 90% through a dummy booking with my UK address etc)?
There is a price difference.
What about going via a broker like travelocity?

Bob Hughes 15 Aug 2019

On the price difference between Sixt and travelocity: Sixt probably reserves it’s best prices for its own website. A lot of car rental companies in particular don’t do this and it seems bonkers to me.

tge best broker I have come across is easycar.co.uk

They might do location based pricing based on your credit card

In reply to Bob Hughes:

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...