Travel to Ireland from 19 July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 10 Jul 2021

Ignore this is you don't have the answer (i..e. don't tell me to use Google - that's a hole leading into an Escher rabbit warren with Mobius loops)

Will I need a PCR test negative result to travel to Ireland after 19 July? Not referencing the English 'freedom day', but co-incidentally rules also change in Ireland that day too. 

At present, flying from Glasgow, the Scottish authorities do not require any testing or quarantining re travel to / from Ireland

However the Irish authorities do...but it appears that quarantining will lift from 19 July for fully vaccinated travellers from UK but I haven't found an answer as to whether a PCR negative test will still be required.

All the above is assuming no further change to the rules bar those already announced

Tom Valentine 10 Jul 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

But even if you passed all the vaccination tests and had a PCR negative test, what circumstances would apply to your stay in Ireland ?

skog 10 Jul 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

>  (i..e. don't tell me to use Google - that's a hole leading into an Escher rabbit warren with Mobius loops)

OK. But the Irish government site is pretty clear:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7894b-post-cabinet-statement-resilience...

"Passengers arriving into Ireland from outside EU/EEA

From 19 July, Ireland will also broadly align itself to the EU approach to non-essential travel into the EU from third countries.

To protect its citizens against importation of variants, an ‘emergency brake’ mechanism will be coordinated at EU level to react swiftly to the emergence of a variant of concern or variant of interest.

Government advice will be to avoid travel to a country where the emergency brake has been applied.

Scenario One – journey originates in a country to which the EU has not applied an ‘Emergency Brake’

If passenger has valid proof of vaccination, no travel-related testing or quarantine will be necessary.

If passenger does not have valid proof of vaccination, they will need to:

present evidence of a negative RT-PCR test result within 72 hours prior to arrival into the country

self-quarantine

undergo post-arrival testing - this will be provided through the HSE

Scenario Two – journey originates in a country to which the EU has applied an ‘Emergency Brake’

If passenger has valid proof of vaccination, they will need to:

produce a negative result from a RT-PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival

undergo self-quarantine

undergo post-arrival testing - this will be provided through the HSE

If passenger does not have valid proof of vaccination, they will need to:

produce evidence of a negative result from a PCR test undertaken no more than 72 hours before arrival

undergo mandatory hotel quarantine

undergo post-arrival testing"

So, assuming you have proof of full vaccination, it'll depend on whether the EU has applied the Emergency Brake to the UK at that time - if it hasn't, you won't need to test or quarantine; if it has, you'll have to take tests before and after arrival, and quarantine.

So, no guarantees for advance bookings really (especially as the Delta Variant is rife in the UK), but if you can do it at short notice at a point the brake isn't on, you won't need to test.

RX-78 10 Jul 2021
In reply to skog:

I haven't looked it up, but often the travel arrangements between Ireland and the UK are unique due to historical reasons, so usually blanket statements like that don't apply, for covid it might be different, and it is now also complicated by brexit.

auld al 11 Jul 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

If you travel via northern Ireland there will be no checks. It's the way they want it.

Lots of cross border travel with Irish visiting due to our greater freedom at the moment.

OP Flinticus 11 Jul 2021
In reply to skog:

Thanks. I see that's been recently updated. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...