Torn ATFL - what's living with it like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gwared 23 Apr 2020

Need a pep talk from somebody!

I sprained my ankle badly at the start of Feb (classic inversion injury) and have been going to a physio up until we locked down here in New Zealand. Finally got to a radiologist to get an ultrasound yesterday and they confirmed there's very little left of my ATFL. Physio's aren't open here yet but GP's are so that's the next port of call I suppose.

Ankle is still swollen - I swear it looks like my ankle bone (lateral malleolus) has shifted to the front! And my achilles has been playing up ever since I did it. 

Feeling a bit bummed out even though it's a common thing. Who's had one snap and how's it been? Did you consider surgery?

I quite liked trail running and wearing light shoes while out tramping - are those days over* or do I just strap up and get on with it? Will this all be a non event a year from now?

[ * acknowledging that at some point in the future we will all be able to get out and enjoy the mountains again]

OP gwared 28 Apr 2020

Bump. Anyone?!

Will Rupp 29 Apr 2020
In reply to gwared:

will send a message

La benya 29 Apr 2020
In reply to gwared:

I had to get mine fixed after a while as running for more than a few minutes became very painful. The ankle was so suseptable to further injury and felt extremely unstable. Manageable with strapping but realistically not a long term solution. I also had bony spurs on the front of my ankle as the slop caused by the (long term undiagnosed) injury meant my shin could slide forwards more than it should.

I lived with it for many years but I didn't do much that actually required stability (other than surfing but I'm shite so can't blame the ankle). As soon as I needed it to function I realised it was deficient. 

OP gwared 01 May 2020
In reply to La benya:

Thank you for the insight, how was the healing and stability after surgery? Was it a big improvement?

I've been pushing quite hard, and am back to running about 4 times a week (just 5km or so but keeps the thing moving). The thought of trail running horrifies me right now though. As you said, strapping doesn't feel like a long term solution...

La benya 01 May 2020
In reply to gwared:

Recovery was a back slab cast for two weeks and then a boot for 6-8. The open wound and the bone spur removal caused more issue that the ligament repair, in my opinion. I was back running after 8 weeks and full activity (rugby, climbing, surfing etc) after 12 weeks, which is the lower end of the spectrum (but the physios are always amazed when you actually do the exercises).

Mobility is reduced, which is I guess what the aim of the treatment was! he warned that some people don't like that feeling as it can stop you doing certain movements (yoga type stuff, sitting back on your feet) but mine has been near on perfect for everything I do.  I no longer get pain while running and it is more stable, however i still get wobbles on unstable ground (which terrify me- going over and undoing all that work!)

I still wear my ankle brace when running or walking on uneven trails, just in case. But in theory I shouldn't need it, its more of a mental thing- I did all the rehab without so I am back to full strength.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...