Tories at it again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 21 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Should I be clicking 'like' or 'dislike' to register my lack of surprise as to how low this particular Tory party has sunk in its attempts to garner popular support?

In times gone by, the Tories usually would have had a different set of political ideals and priorities from the more left-leaning parties. Nowadays they seem to have a completely different concept of morality.

In reply to girlymonkey:

I'm surprised that there is so little reaction to this. It's an absolute disgrace.

Given their antics regarding 'fakefactsUK' and now this fake Labour manifesto, I'm starting to think that the conspiracy theory that Tory activists joined the Labour party to vote in Corbyn as leader to destroy any credible opposition is looking more plausible by the day...

OP girlymonkey 21 Nov 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I'm surprised that there is so little reaction to this. It's an absolute disgrace.

I think it only appeared today, so hopefully a reaction will build. Keep sharing it with people, it's how these things gain momentum

Removed User 21 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Sadly people will still vote for them.

Social media needs to develop a sense of right and wrong and ban parties and individuals who use their platforms to deliberately mislead.

bouldery bits 21 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

They're all as bad as each other. 

It doesn't matter who 'we' choose. We have no choice. We're all being cheated. It's a sham. 

IceKing 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Trouble is some of the platforms are complicit, e.g. see the secret meeting Mark Zuckerberg had with Trump at the White House in October:- https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/21/trump-mark-zuckerberg-white...

mark20 21 Nov 2019

At least this one is clearly stated to be funded and ran by the Conservatives. The equivalent conservativemanifesto.co.uk is quite amusing - however probably plays right into the hands of the Cummings-Johnson propaganda machine. Keep repeating ‘get brexit done’ to stick in people’s minds and clog the news up with bollocks like this to distract from serious policy debate. 

Really depressing. Surely the electoral commission needs reform to stop campaigns of deliberate  misinformation

johang 21 Nov 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

They most certainly are not all as bad as each other.

None are perfect, I'll grant you that, but these Tory propaganda shenanigans are unbelievable.

(As in unbelievably bad)

pec 21 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> This time it's a fake labour manifesto!

And this time it's a fake fact check website,

https://insider.labour.org.uk/factcheck/

john arran 21 Nov 2019

> They're all as bad as each other. 

If you have any evidence of that, your explanation would be most welcome for consideration. Right now it would seem that 'bad' is very much weighted on the side of the Brexit-Con liars, and attempting to play down that fact by suggesting a false equivalence is simply adding to the imbalance.

MG 21 Nov 2019
In reply to pec:

How is a website called "insider. Labour" fake? UnderAbout ift says

"The Insider is the Labour Party’s home of the facts and analysis you need to know"

We know you are tribally Tory but do you not think a reassessment of your loyalties might be due given their behaviour? 

Post edited at 21:42
 TobyA 21 Nov 2019
In reply to mark20:

> At least this one is clearly stated to be funded and ran by the Conservatives. The equivalent conservativemanifesto.co.uk is quite amusing

Is it the same as https://www.thetorymanifesto.com/ ? (BTW, <--- this is funny but NSFW if anyone who doesn't have a robust sense of humour is looking at your screen.)

pec 21 Nov 2019
In reply to MG:

> How is a website called "insider. Labour" fake? UnderAbout ift says

> "The Insider is the Labour Party’s home of the facts and analysis you need to know"

> We know you are tribally Tory but do you not think a reassessment of your loyalties might be due given their behaviour? 

"The Labour Party's home of facts"

Ha ha ha ha

If you think the "facts" contained therein are in any way facts you need a reassessment of your sanity.

In reply to john arran:

> If you have any evidence of that, your explanation would be most welcome for consideration. Right now it would seem that 'bad' is very much weighted on the side of the Brexit-Con liars, and attempting to play down that fact by suggesting a false equivalence is simply adding to the imbalance.

It doesn't matter who wins. The politicians don't have any real influence. Business does and well we all know it. Even if we'd rather not admit it. 

There's no imbalance. I'm not even in the room of which group of self serving career politicians to endorse. It's all a sham.

Democracy gives an illusion of some sort of agency for people like you and me. Waste as much energy as you like on it. In fact, waste as much energy as possible! Use all your emotional capacity and energy on politics! Work as hard as you can to have no real impact at all.

That's what business wants us to do. Keep yelling and working hard so that you can keep working to be able to keep working hard. Make sure you fill your house with shxt you can't possibly live without.

Brexit, much like lots of other aspects of modern politics, is simply a distraction from reality.

john arran 21 Nov 2019

You are, of course, welcome to that delusion.

MG 21 Nov 2019
In reply to pec:

That's not the point is it? The point is it's not pretending to be impartial. Nor is it faking videos of opponents. Nor is it trying to pass off fake manifestos as real. The current Tory Party are doing all this and defending their behaviour as just fine. 

In reply to john arran:

And you're welcome to keep wasting your time on it. I'm sure it's all been worthwhile. 

Post edited at 22:07
 mark20 21 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, sorry that’s the one I meant to post !

TobyA 21 Nov 2019

> It doesn't matter who wins. The politicians don't have any real influence. Business does and well we all know it.

We don't all know that at all. Considering virtually no major business in the UK thought Brexit would be a good idea, it seems very odd according to your "analysis" that the UK is leaving the EU. "Business" seems to have utterly failed to get it's way here.

In reply to TobyA:

You're missing the point. Brexit doesn't matter. We just need to be distracted and subdued. Making ourselves ill by stuffing ourselves with 'food', hypnotised by our screens and so caught up in our self imposed stresses that we never challenge the pointlessness of it all. Brexit is simply one part of this.

I'm going to bed. Then I'm going for a run. Pointlessly. Because we all die anyway. 

Carless 21 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

This is so weirdly bizarre that it makes me wonder if the Tories are now trying to lose

Wiley Coyote2 21 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Either that or its digital operation is being run by teenagers off their faces on cider who think it's all a great wheeze

Robert Durran 21 Nov 2019
In reply to pec:

> And this time it's a fake fact check website,

To be fair, that does seem about as bad as the Conservatives' factcheck site the other day;nothing on that front page to say it's a Labour site.

Carless 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

Maybe... but you seem to have not noticed the "labour.org.uk"

Robert Durran 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Carless:

> Maybe... but you seem to have not noticed the "labour.org.uk"

Indeed, but maybe that proves my point!

TobyA 21 Nov 2019

Dude. That's deep. Mind, like, totally blown. It's, like, you made an argument that made totally no sense. So you've, like, totally, changed it and now are saying something else. Wow.

krikoman 21 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I want someone to ask Johnson, "Can you tell us which towns / cities are these 40 new hospitals going to be built in?"

Darron 22 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I think if you asked Johnson ANY question at the moment the reply would be “pifflewaffle wiffleGet BrexitDonewafflepifflewiffle”

ClimberEd 22 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> This time it's a fake labour manifesto!

Tories got smashed by labour in the last election in the online/social media stakes so it's not at all surprising that they are making more of an effort this time. 

pec 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Carless:

> Maybe... but you seem to have not noticed the "labour.org.uk"

Does eveybody read the URL on every website they visit? Suppose I'd posted this link to it:

https://tinyurl.com/sgwvd3r

There wouldn't have been a clue in that to its origin.

Offwidth 22 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

There is way way dirtier stuff going on, like the pictures of  ISIS with a caption saying "we just wanted to say good luck Jeremy and vote Labour." being widely circulated amongst the armed forces (and ex armed forces).

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,30309.325.html

Post edited at 10:40

> It doesn't matter who wins. The politicians don't have any real influence. Business does and well we all know it. Even if we'd rather not admit it. 

> There's no imbalance. I'm not even in the room of which group of self serving career politicians to endorse. It's all a sham.

> Democracy gives an illusion of some sort of agency for people like you and me. Waste as much energy as you like on it. In fact, waste as much energy as possible! Use all your emotional capacity and energy on politics! Work as hard as you can to have no real impact at all.

> That's what business wants us to do. Keep yelling and working hard so that you can keep working to be able to keep working hard. Make sure you fill your house with shxt you can't possibly live without.

> Brexit, much like lots of other aspects of modern politics, is simply a distraction from reality.

If that is the case, how come 'business' preventing candidates they disapprove of getting into power.

john arran 22 Nov 2019
In reply to pec:

> Does eveybody read the URL on every website they visit? Suppose I'd posted this link to it:

> There wouldn't have been a clue in that to its origin.

You'd have to have given the page the most cursory of glances to not have any idea of its origin. Despite your attempts to hide the word 'labour' in the link clicked, it still shows very clearly in the url of the page itself. Presumably the cursory glance must also not have spotted the very large word 'Labour' at the bottom, along with the Labour logo. And, of course, anyone in any doubt could easily follow the very prominent 'About' link at the top, upon which the very first sentence you're faced with is "The Insider is the Labour Party’s home of the facts and analysis you need to know."

Trying to equate this with the deliberately and provocatively misleading rebranding of the Tory Twitter account is surely either disingenuous or delusional.

colinakmc 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

There’s a labour logo in quite large font at the bottom of every page.

MonkeyPuzzle 22 Nov 2019
In reply to pec:

Even then it's not remotely equivalent. Twitter gives verified, i.e. trusted, accounts a blue tick. Conservative HQ has such a tick, meaning "these people are who they say they are". For the duration of the debate, they changed their entire branding and name to that of an independent fact checking organisation "factcheckuk" almost identical to the established "factcheck". They looked like they were a Twitter-verified fact checking account rather than the Twitter-verified Tory account. Tweets can go viral very very quickly and they know this and used it to willfully deceive as many potential voters as possible.

If my partisanship ever blinds me to the extent that yours does, please take me to the knacker's yard.

Jim Hamilton 22 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I don't know what the fuss is about, it's an obvious spoof? but then I don't look at twitter. I find the real manifestos more concerning with their platitudes and lack of detail! 

Robert Durran 22 Nov 2019
In reply to colinakmc:

Yes, bit you have to scroll pretty determinedly past what you are actually reading to see it. If the site were trying to be honest and transparent it would be clear at the top of a page.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...