Top Tips for becoming redundant?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheHorroffice 12 Aug 2019

Hey, 

I work in agriculture and just been made redundant as a result of a botched merger. Does anyone have some ‘I wish I’d known that at the time’ style tips? 

rogersavery 12 Aug 2019
In reply to TheHorroffice:

I wish I had known how much better my next job was going to be

Fredt 12 Aug 2019

Consult an employment lawyer, they may give you a free interview to ascertain if you have a case for unfair dismissal.

If the companies made the slightest error in procedure, you may be able sue them, or get reinstated . Check they followed procedure, giving you notice via meeting of possibility, giving you chance to apply for redeployment, having another meeting to discuss options, etc, etc etc.

I once had to make someone redundant, and thought I’d followed the exact procedure, but weeks later a letter from a solicitor said I hadn’t followed procedure, (not holding one of the meetings, the employee had agreed it wasn’t necessary at the time) and they successfully sued for a years salary.

OP TheHorroffice 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Ha, I’ll give it a go but I REALLY doubt it. It’s part of a huge restructuring and the process has been awfully diligent.

OP TheHorroffice 12 Aug 2019
In reply to rogersavery:

That’s awesome, cheers

You might be eligible for Jobseekers Allowance, even if you were handsomely paid off.

neilh 12 Aug 2019

Try not to become too personal and bitter about it.it will only be you who suffers  

how long have you worked there and do you have skills that are transferable. 

Post edited at 15:09
 Andrew Lodge 12 Aug 2019
In reply to neilh:

> Try not to become too personal and bitter about it.it will only be you who suffers  

> how long have you worked there and do you have skills that are transferable. 

I would very much second this. Many years ago my line manager was made redundant, he was very philosophical about it and shrugged it off with the comment "it's a big bad world out there".

When I was made redundant a few years later it tried to take the same attitude and it helped a lot. It's very rarely personal so try not to take it as such.

Coel Hellier 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Fredt:

> I hadn’t followed procedure, (not holding one of the meetings, the employee had agreed it wasn’t necessary at the time) and they successfully sued for a years salary.

Out of interest, were they actually awarded this in a tribunal, or did the company decide not to fight it and settle instead? 

antdav 13 Aug 2019

Spend your newly acquired free time wisely, it may not be long until your back working full time.

Climb, sort the house out, retrain/upskill (edx, udemy, language, etc). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...