Top tawny owl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 24 Apr 2021

Couldn’t believe my luck with this ready framed photo. I’d walked past it without noticing, heard blackbirds going ballistic so double backed and eventually saw it..

Post edited at 12:58

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

What’s this ‘double backed’ phrase mean?!  

Myfyr Tomos 24 Apr 2021

That's a cracker, as Frank used to say.

profitofdoom 24 Apr 2021

> What’s this ‘double backed’ phrase mean?!  

"doubled back"? I suppose

No charge for translation - this time ha-ha-ha

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

What’s weird is: how that branch grew into an elipse?

BusyLizzie 24 Apr 2021

Absolutely gorgeous.

bouldery bits 24 Apr 2021

> What’s weird is: how that branch grew into an elipse?

The owl's evidently been there a while.

deepsoup 25 Apr 2021

Fantastic.

deepsoup 27 Apr 2021

I think I'll bump this thread instead of starting a new one..

I spent a cheerful couple of hours yesterday sitting quietly with my camera by a burbling brook in a White Peak limestone dale waiting for the resident dipper to show up.

deepsoup 27 Apr 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

A pair of grey wagtails kept me entertained while I was waiting, fluttering about the place, hopping from rock to rock, rummaging about the weeds and twerking.

I'm no kind of a birdwatcher normally, but what a lovely way to spend the morning.

In reply to deepsoup:

Brilliant.  I'm aiming to do similar to you - love sitting next to, or on water (in a boat !).

Today, in fields near my house, 4 wheatear!  I normally see at the most 1 a year, so this was a real treat.  Dippers usually nest in a small stream in a wood near me, but no sign yet.

And I saw loads of butterflies on Sunday.  Took some phone photos so will chuck a few on now.

Post edited at 11:49

Had one of those days at work yesterday, saw felamle hen harrier, red kite merlin and an altercation between two short eared owls then one of them sat on a wall 10m away. All through my new Binos 😁

In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Wow!

deepsoup 27 Apr 2021

> All through my new Binos 😁

Sounds like money well spent!

jasonpm 27 Apr 2021

I saw a Merlin today, was walking the dog first thing along a wooded alley way and it flew straight past me about a metre away and then carried on along the alley about 30cm from the ground.

In reply to jasonpm:

Brilliant, amazing if you get to see them hunting! 

Since I'm showing off, Sundays red and black throated diver chorus was amazing. I'd recommend you take a trip to NW Highlands this time of year if you haven't already just for the divers. Lots of great northern divers too 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...