Today at Wimbledon...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 05 Jul 2019

Surprised there isn't a thread already for the tennis (or have I missed it?)

I have to say this Codi Gauff is a revelation - amazing poise for a 15 year old.

Sean Kelly 05 Jul 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

One of the greatest thrills in sport is to witness emerging talent and Gauff fits that description. She really had to dig deep with two match points against her. I witnessed it with Joe Root in one of his early games and he looked totally at ease with batting. It was  just like being in the nets. No nerves. Rooney also on his international debut and he played keep-uppy as he ran down the touchline after coming on as a sub. It totally  lifted the team who were playing nervously at that time. Well Gauff might not win but she sure has a a bright future. I know what the sport headlines in the papers will be tomorrow. I wish her well.

Post edited at 20:25
OP balmybaldwin 05 Jul 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It was a great match and went to and fro a couple of times.

I know what you mean about watching emerging talent... Lewis Hamilton very much gave off an air of "Im just doing what I did last year but on a larger stage" in his first year in F1, Maro Itoje was the same when he started. Just Natural

Blue Straggler 05 Jul 2019

A shame that Anisimova departed so suddenly. Her French Open was astonishing 

MonkeyPuzzle 06 Jul 2019

> Surprised there isn't a thread already for the tennis (or have I missed it?)

> I have to say this Codi Gauff is a revelation - amazing poise for a 15 year old.

She's going to be a star. Having the shots and ability to change her game plan at fifteen years old? She's going to be a star.

Moley 06 Jul 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Looks like she has a good sprinkling of stardust about her and hopefully a great future. Not sure how much further she will go this week, her body is a bit young to have the stamina for another hard game - hope I'm wrong!

BnB 06 Jul 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> She's going to be a star. Having the shots and ability to change her game plan at fifteen years old? She's going to be a star.

She is indeed going to be a top player and I put that down to her mentality more than her game, which actually needs more work, particularly around mid-court where she looks uncertain. The final set was basically a game of pat-ball in which neither contestant sought winners, instead waiting for a mistake from their opponent. The player with greater self-belief eventuality won out. That's a champion's mentality of course but any number of top players in their teens (Williams x 2, Sharapova, Austin, Capriati, Hingis) would have dominated that final set, putting their opponent to bed instead of simply trying to outlast her.

None of the above is to diminish her talent, only to temper expectations. And I was rooting for Cori all the way.

Postmanpat 06 Jul 2019
In reply to BnB:

Only Capriati and Austen were really making it in the majors at 15, and both suffered very badly as a result. The restrictions on schedules for young players now may delay their development, hence Gauff’s tentative third set,but hopefully also aid their longevity.

mbh 06 Jul 2019

Tennis is just too tense to watch. I can't watch Konta-Stevens unfold now just as I couldn't  in the Borg-McEnroe tie break. 

mbh 06 Jul 2019

I can come out now from behind the sofa

BnB 06 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

Quite a turnaround. Stephens looked to be cruising and playing so well

Blue Straggler 13 Jul 2019

Ladies' Singles final was a lot better than the scoreline and match duration suggest. Sure, Halep totally dominated but it wasn't a walkover (despite Williams appearing to be resigned to the inevitable at times, and at one point looking almost like she was throwing the match). Halep's tennis was simply extraordinary, she was covering the court on foot like some combination of Graf, Edberg and DC Comics' "The Flash", and despite a few misses here and there her precision on long shots and also on shots that most people wouldn't even have bothered to REACH, was brilliant. As one of the commentators said, "make the opponent play one more ball than they expected". There were a few great rallies in this, the fourth (or was it fifth) point in the third game of the second set, was fab.

BnB 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes, a stunning performance. If any comparison can be made, it is with Nadal at his defiant best. And that is high praise indeed. One of the finest displays of speed, power and resilience. All the more enjoyable for Halep’s charming celebration and post-match comments. A delight.

Blue Straggler 14 Jul 2019
In reply to BnB:

Yes she was brilliant post-match. Almost self-deprecating at one point !

In reply to BnB:

Yep. I watched every shot. Amazing show of complete tennis. Utterly destroyed Williams which is some feat. Delightful post match and wonderful smile. 

Great sport indeed. Now hoping for a Federer win in the men's. Better get the Pimms chilled in readiness!

BnB 14 Jul 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Great sport indeed. Now hoping for a Federer win in the men's. Better get the Pimms chilled in readiness!

I'm wary of a repeat of 2015 when Federer produced the perfect serve and volley performance in the semi-final against the more fancied Murray, who was swiped aside despite making only two unforced errors, such was the intensity of Federer's onslaught, only to lose limply in the final to Djokovic as his first serve abandoned him, while Novak's relentless depth forced him into a retreat. Out-rallying Nadal was an astonishing feat, but can he defeat "the human backboard" at his own game? I doubt it. I think he will have to play an even higher risk brand of tennis. Henman and McEnroe have both tipped Djokovic to win this morning, and they know a thing or two about grass court tennis.

Nevertheless I shall be playing every point with Federer and willing him to win, along, I guess, with 90% of all tennis fans.

In reply to BnB:

> Henman and McEnroe have both tipped Djokovic to win this morning, and they know a thing or two about grass court tennis.

Didnt Henman emphatically call Williams to win the final.

Pullhard 14 Jul 2019

Crowd could get to joko like semis of the french, hope so. Federer in full flow is like a double cream waterfall 

Blue Straggler 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Pullhard:

You want Novak to lose not to superior tennis but to distraction from a near-partisan crowd? 

Removed User 14 Jul 2019

No-Mcenroe did along with most punters but Henman picked Halep.

Pullhard 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

He done exactly this fair play saving two championship points 

Blue Straggler 15 Jul 2019

who was the lady in the audience, dressed in red with Swiss flags painted on her cheeks, that the camera kept cutting to?

Just asking for, er, research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...