Today at the Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Today at the Test. It’s not looking good for England 55-6..........

GrahamD 24 Jun 2022
In reply to Christheclimber:

Vintage England.

In reply to GrahamD:

But now 257-6 amazing 202 partnership from Bairstow and Overton. I have a ticket for Sunday, I was thinking I would see much (if any) cricket but looking good now

ianstevens 24 Jun 2022
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Well well well! This side is nothing if not fun. Very excited to have a ticket for tomorrow! (And a spare if anyone wants to come along (for money) 👀)

Sean Kelly 24 Jun 2022

Bairstow still playing for his place?

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Think he will just about keep his place....... 😉

An amazing comeback again from England, let’s hope for a good mornings play. Very impressed with Jamie Overton on his England debut. Fingers crossed. 

In reply to Graeme Alderson:

A good day for England with Pope and Root going well. Amazing reverse scoop shot from Root. 

Welsh Kate 26 Jun 2022

I'm really enjoying the sportsmanship both sides are showing. The looks on Wagner and Roots' faces after that reverse scoop were just wonderful!

Sean Kelly 26 Jun 2022

Roll on tomorrow! Can't wait!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Bairstow in great form again, he’s raced to his half century in no time at all. Awesome.

Sean Kelly 27 Jun 2022

It takes two good teams to make a remarkable series which this undoubtedly was. So full credit to both teams for the entertainment we've had. Now bring on India. Bairstow and Leach should get another game!

GrahamD 27 Jun 2022

I can't help thinking this would have looked very different with a full strength NZ attack.

Bulls Crack 28 Jun 2022

I was there and he came in and it seemed moments later the 50 partnership was up and then it was better not blink before the end..let alone go to the loo! 

Pic of Broad throwing shapes tother seeming bemusement of Umpire and batsman! 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Excellent series under the new regime. Looking forward to the first test against India, will they play in the same one day mode?

In reply to GrahamD:

> I can't help thinking this would have looked very different with a full strength NZ attack.

Think you could be right Graham. TMS were suggesting that NZ picked the wrong bowling attack in the last two tests. But so did England in the last series when they made the mistakes of not taking Anderson and Broad.

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Excellent, I wish I’d been there. I was surprised how many empty seats there were considering it was free entry.

wynaptomos 28 Jun 2022

There is only one test vs India. It is the 5th test carried over from last summer. Then there are three tests vs South Africa.

In reply to wynaptomos:

> There is only one test vs India. It is the 5th test carried over from last summer. Then there are three tests vs South Africa.

Cheers for that, I’d forgotten about the carry over test 👍🏻

RobAJones 28 Jun 2022
In reply to wynaptomos:

> There is only one test vs India. 

If the pitches/weather is good there could be some interesting scores in the T20's and ODI's. Ireland "only" needed 8 off the last three balls , chasing 225, just now. 

ianstevens 28 Jun 2022
In reply to wynaptomos:

*four, one being currently underway at Taunton

Cornish boy 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I'm really enjoying the sportsmanship both sides are showing. 

Totally agree with you. The mutual respect between the sides is lovely to see. I really admire the way the Kiwis conduct themselves. Class act both on and off the field. Williamson and Root are terrific ambassadors for the game. I like to think they all had a good drink together on the evening of the final day of each test! 

I think the sides are very evenly matched and it’s been a wonderful test series. 3-0 to England sounds convincing but at least two of those games could easily have gone the other way. McCullum deserves a lot of credit for changing the mindset of the England team. 

it will be interesting to see how we get on against India and South Africa. 

Sean Kelly 01 Jul 2022

Well I must admit that Pant is undoubtedly the best batsman / keeper in the world right now. Devastating hitting in the Bairstow style.

Post edited at 19:12
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Well I must admit that Pant is undoubtedly the best batsman / keeper in the world right now. Devastating hitting in the Bairstow style.

Yes, impressive batting. Pants certainly isn’t pants......

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Oops, not a great day for England, 84-5. Can Bairstow and Stokes rescue this one?

Need to watch the highlights to see Broad’s over going for 35!

Post edited at 19:05
 Sean Kelly 04 Jul 2022

Well, this is going to be an interesting finish tomorrow. Squeaky bum time, but Root & Bairstow hopefully get us there. What a great day's cricket. I recall I think it was Ponting who said on winning the Toss, bat first. If still in doubt, bat first. Still unsure... bat first! 

RobAJones 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I recall I think it was Ponting who said on winning the Toss, bat first. If still in doubt, bat first. Still unsure... bat first! 

He might have said it but I think WG Grace said it more than a century before. In another well worn phrase, the first hour tomorrow will be crucial. 

Welsh Kate 04 Jul 2022
In reply to RobAJones:

Yep, a vital first hour's play tomorrow. Whatever the result, another really exciting test!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

It is very odd. After years and years of watching England chase 300+ in the 4th innings, playing carefully to try and keep the draw an option, falling quickly to 100-5 and losing hopelessly with half a day to spare, England have suddenly found that a T20 approach seems to work. It helps that Root and Bairstow are in incredible form although I think that is an effect of this approach rather than a cause.

Alan

Welsh Kate 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

When I was watching the highlights earlier I did think how striking it was that the style of batting was much more 20-20 than traditional test. That's something that's sometimes been criticised by commentators when batters got out, but you're right - it does seem to be working for England at least at the moment.

Offwidth 05 Jul 2022
In reply to thread

Root and Bairsrow were pretty careful when they started their innings. India have two world class seamers and no bad bowlers but as a batsman, when played in and in form, you have to take advantage of an old ball in good weather on a more than usually benign wicket. Quite a few entertaining England players did this successfully in the past and it wins matches... the Botham and Willis heroics against Australia being even more unlikely than recent wins.

I'm really glad England have changed their attitude in such situations to what is the only sensible tactic. It's certainly much more entertaining. Trying to grind out a win or draw on a last day pitch with a new ball due early was always a low percentage option.... now instead England are favourites,  but don't write off India yet.

Harry Jarvis 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

A lively start from Root and Bairstow this morning!

Matt Podd 05 Jul 2022

YES!

Harry Jarvis 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Matt Podd:

That didn't take long!

Sean Kelly 05 Jul 2022

Magnificent!!!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

As you say magnificent. I need to watch the highlights show. A masterclass I believe from Root and Bairstow.

jonfun21 06 Jul 2022

Was great to see some decent batting from England rather than continually relying on our bowlers to bail us out/keep opposition scores low as we have been for the last few years.....hopefully it continues against SA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...