Today at the Ashes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2019

Australia win the toss and bat. Slightly overcast but clearing. Not a bad toss to lose.

OP Postmanpat 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Australia 2-1. Warner LBW B Broad

Harry Jarvis 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

An eventful first four overs! One potential wicket not reviewed, one English review lost, and Warner failed to review his dismissal. 

An interesting decision on the part of the Australians to bat this morning. 

Hat Dude 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

David Warner - What's he ever done on grit?

Welsh Kate 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Well, grit's been used in the past as an alternative to sandpaper, and we know about his performance on sandpaper!

Lusk 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hahaha, they're waving sheets of sandpaper in the stands.

Oh dear, another one gone

In reply to Lusk:

Khawaja gone 35 for 3

stevieb 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Blooming Smith again. 

Going well but down to two fit and firing bowlers

Harry Jarvis 01 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> Going well but down to two fit and firing bowlers

Although given the way the visitors are giving away their wickets, we may not need more than two. 

OP Postmanpat 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

112-7.  Broad 4-34

Welsh Kate 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Yeah, though don't forget we haven't tried hitting the ball yet!

balmybaldwin 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

122-8 now

Michael Hood 01 Aug 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I don't think this test is going to make it to Monday.

Must remember, however few runs the Aussies get, we still have to get more, and we're batting last - what state will the pitch be in by then.

Nervous times ahead

Welsh Kate 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

The State of Pitches was quite an issue during the World Cup. Let's hope it doesn't negatively affect the Ashes as well.

stevieb 01 Aug 2019

> Although given the way the visitors are giving away their wickets, we may not need more than two. 

Well, the rain is doing a decent job as change bowler. Not giving much away

BnB 01 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Frustrating little partnership here between Smith and Siddle.

stevieb 01 Aug 2019
In reply to BnB:

> Frustrating little partnership here between Smith and Siddle.

Yes, I wonder how injured Anderson is. Would they have let him field if they'd known there were 20+ overs left 

balmybaldwin 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

284 all out. Annoying innings from Smith.

Eng 3-0

BnB 01 Aug 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> 284 all out. Match-winning innings from Smith.

> Aus 1-0 Eng

FTFY

squarepeg 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Aye the crims did ok in the end.

balmybaldwin 01 Aug 2019
In reply to BnB:

Could well be. He's so hard to get out. but it's only day 1, and I would have been happy with this when I woke up this morning.

earlsdonwhu 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Just back from a fascinating and frustrating day out. The Hollies stand was in lively form and obviously revelled in the early collapse. Despite Smith's skills, it was disappointing that Root surrendered so much late on with every fielder on the boundary. Anderson's departure left a heavy burden on the other seamers and will be even more acute in the second innings. Being a natural pessimist, I left feeling that the Aussies only regrets will be Smith not making 150 and not taking a wicket at the end. Umpires had a dreadful day too. I feel we will struggle to get 300 or so.......though if Siddle can make nearly 50, perhaps our boys can prosper.

Bobling 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Controversial I know, but what an innings from Steve Smith.  That man just does not know when he's beaten.  Hats off to him.

Damo 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Why is it "controversial"?

Because a bunch of half-wits in the crowd are booing and jeering a century-maker?

Because English fans are a pack of hypocrites?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_tampering

In reply to Bobling:

Great innings from Smith. Wonderful player.

Gone for good 02 Aug 2019
In reply to I like climbing:

> Great innings from Smith. Wonderful player.

I completely agree. He's averaging more than 150 against England in his last 6 or 7 innings. The man they can't get out. It would be good to see Root or Bairstow produce an equally fine innings. We will see.

balmybaldwin 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Roy gone, Caught at slip (by Smith - who else!)

Eng 22-1

Post edited at 11:31
 Hat Dude 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Joe Root has just had a pretty amazing reprieve!

In reply to Damo:

Who says that English fans condone cheating?

How many of those accusations led to anyone being found guilty of ball tampering?

Smith is an amazing player but he is a self confessed cheat who also bullied a junior player into becoming a cheat.

Warner is not only a self confessed cheat but he is also a thug who assaulted an opposition player in a nightclub.

Bobling 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Damo:

And that's why it is controversial! 

joking on/

Hang on aren't you Aus based?  Right lads, time for a bit of chanting!

joking off/

stevieb 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Damo:

> Because English fans are a pack of hypocrites?

Be careful there; Stuart Broad has been booed throughout the last two Ashes series in Australia, at the explicit request of the Australian team coach, and that was just for not walking when the Aussies thought he was out, something Australians and pretty much everyone has done since time immemorial. I've not heard Andrew Strauss or Trevor Bayliss inciting the fans, to boo the DIY 3 for a far more serious offence.

Personally I think that sandpapergate was the worst example of ball tampering in test history, but it's still only ball tampering. I think they got the punishment they deserved, and time is now served. I also think that every single one of the bowlers in that team knew ball tampering was happening even if they weren't involved. I have no problem with the pantomime booing when he came out to bat, but I think that not celebrating the century and the innings was churlish.

In reply to Bobling:

Well first job done, follow-on saved

In reply to stevieb:

I am reminded of the 2009 T20 World Cup match at Trent Bridge, Australia v Sri Lanka. Punter hit a few nice boundaries, all of which were met with lots of simultaneous booing and applause, it was a bit strange. Punter was a pantomime villain but was always respected.

Lusk 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Yeah, though don't forget we haven't tried hitting the ball yet!

Oh ye of little faith, we may only need to bat once

Harry Jarvis 02 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> Personally I think that sandpapergate was the worst example of ball tampering in test history, but it's still only ball tampering.

To my mind, the worst aspect of the affair was not the tampering itself - as you say, it's not exactly a new phenomenon - but Smith's brazen admission that he was instrumental in it, knowing it was wrong, and then having the brass neck to consider that he was the right person to remain as captain and put things right. However, it was an outstanding knock yesterday.

Cricinfo have just posted the interesting snippet that England were 122-1, and Australia were 122-8 yesterday. It's no  going to be a 300-run day, but it is nice to see an England pair take time to compile a century partnership.  

OP Postmanpat 02 Aug 2019

> Cricinfo have just posted the interesting snippet that England were 122-1, and Australia were 122-8 yesterday. It's no  going to be a 300-run day, but it is nice to see an England pair take time to compile a century partnership.  

>

Shhsssshhh. This sort of talk presages the traditional middle order collapse.

Rob Exile Ward 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

You haven't got time to be watching the cricket, your side needs you on the other thread…

the sheep 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Root gone, lets hope the rest dont do anything daft!

Ian W 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> You haven't got time to be watching the cricket, your side needs you on the other thread…

Nah, Tommy-pops Dixon is doing a sterling job of missing the point by a country mile! Enjoy the cricket.

Post edited at 15:24

Second job done, lead done to double figures

Hat Dude 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

>   Shhsssshhh. This sort of talk presages the traditional middle order collapse.

Starting to look as if it's going to be a mirror image of the Aussie innings!

Gone for good 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Well done to Rory Burns. He had to dig deep for that. I hope it's the first of many. 

stevieb 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

Good day for England. Need to find a way to get to 400 tomorrow, hopefully more. 

Well done Rory Burns. England’s ‘top 3’ all needed to earn their place, looks like Rory has earned a few more chances. 

Sean Kelly 02 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Where did the convicts dig that ball from? Bending like a banana!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Stokes gone for 50, England now in the lead with 5 wickets left.

BnB 03 Aug 2019

> Stokes gone for 50, England now in the lead with 5 wickets left.

So why do I feel such foreboding?

Ian W 03 Aug 2019
In reply to BnB:

> So why do I feel such foreboding?

Because with the match scores in that position, its the only possible emotion for an englishman to feel if he has the slightest experience of cricket matches, especially against the convicts......

BnB 03 Aug 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> Because with the match scores in that position, its the only possible emotion for an englishman to feel if he has the slightest experience of cricket matches, especially against the convicts......

A comment rendered superfluous (if prescient) by events on the pitch. Moeen needs a rest. Leach next test perhaps. And Buttler and Bairstow need to swap positions in the order.

Post edited at 13:47
OP Postmanpat 03 Aug 2019
In reply to BnB:

> A comment rendered superfluous (if prescient) by events on the pitch. “

I thought you were worrying about rivers of blood 😀

Nice little wag of the tail from Woakes and Broad.

Post edited at 14:23
OP Postmanpat 03 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

374 all out. England lead by 90

BnB 03 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Too small a lead given Anderson's injury.

the sheep 03 Aug 2019
In reply to BnB:

Right then, Smith in. If we can get him out then it’s half the job done!

Bobling 03 Aug 2019
In reply to the sheep:

> Right then, Smith in. If we can get him out then it’s half the job done!

And that I think is going to be the story of this series!

Gone for good 04 Aug 2019
In reply to Bobling:

A big test for England in the first hour. Australia are effectively 34 for 3. If England can get 3 or 4 wickets in the morning session then that will give the Aussies a lead of about 100 - 110. If England can get the Aussies out for less than 250 then they will be chasing 160 to win. Anything above 200 will be a problem.

Lusk 04 Aug 2019

100 plus partnership.
Stating the bleeding obvious, we need a wicket ... NOW.

Bulls Crack 04 Aug 2019

Lets have a draw!

In reply to Lusk:

It's starting to slip away. Looks like Australia will get a 200 plus run lead and probably a good bit more. 

Sean Kelly 04 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Looks as if the convicts have got out of jail!

the sheep 04 Aug 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Not sure why the convicts haven’t declared yet. The game is theirs to win and dragging it out now gives us more chance of salvaging a draw 

earlsdonwhu 04 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Could be a humiliating defeat tomorrow after twice being in totally dominant positions. So much for fortress Edgbaston! In the crowd  on Monday at about 3pm, we doubted whether the match would last three days. Well done the Aussies...you really need to keep your foot on their throats when they are down. Time for a rain dance?

Whoever declared Jimmy to be fit may be answering some awkward questions, and gambling on Archer for the next test looks worrying, though maybe his pace can unsettle Smith. With no Mark Wood either, the cupboard looks a bit bare all of a sudden. Moeen's place must be at risk unless he performs miracles with the bat tomorrow.

squarepeg 04 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

If they drop Moeen, who else is there?

stevieb 04 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Moeen is a weird one. He has 180 test wickets, and is far and away the biggest wicket taker of the past 12 months, but he never looks like a man who can beat the best batsmen. 

If they don’t want to risk Archer, the other option is Olly Stone (or really left field they could go for Roland-Jones, but that would make a samey attack).

the sheep 05 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Oh dear, poor batting today so far. I fear this isn’t going to last much longer

stevieb 05 Aug 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Are we allowed to pick a test team for the next match? There are lots of top order batsmen doing well in county cricket, but I’ve got no idea if they have the technique to step up. 

Next test - burns sibley root malan bairstow/buttler/Roy stokes foakes woakes archer broad leach 

Ardo 05 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Was about to post along these lines. It's a tough one as I think too many changes hark back to the bad old days of chop and change, so my suggestion below:

Burns, Roy, Denly, Root, Malan/Ballance, Stokes, Bairstow/Foakes, Woakes, Archer/Stone, Broad, Leach.

3 changes, 2 because of form and 1 for injury. I do like Moeen, as a cricketer and role model, but he's just not at the races.

squarepeg 05 Aug 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Jofra Archer in for Anderson, otherwise I would pick same team.

Is Adil Rachid fit at the mo?

stevieb 05 Aug 2019
In reply to Ardo:

> Was about to post along these lines. It's a tough one as I think too many changes hark back to the bad old days of chop and change, so my suggestion below:

Agreed, I think my team has one too many change - would keep Roy instead of one of Malan/Sibley - but it’s frustrating. So many of the faults in this test have been obvious for a long time

Ardo 05 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Or maybe time for a complete new broom to sweep clean?

Burns/Sibley/Bell-Drummond, 2 of these to open batting. Northeast or Clarke at 3. Root. Ballance or Malan at 5. Stokes. Foakes. Woakes. 2 from 3 of Curran, Archer and Stone. Leach.

joem 05 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Lets not go too crazy, 

Burns, Roy, Stokes (bat only), root, Butler, Bairstow, Curran, Archer, Broad, Leech. 

stevieb 05 Aug 2019
In reply to joem:

> Lets not go too crazy, 

> Burns, Roy, Stokes (bat only), root, Butler, Bairstow, Curran, Archer, Broad, Leech. 

You tell me not to go crazy, then go and pick a ten man team? I know we tried that in this test, but I don't think it's an experiment to try again.

Post edited at 17:14
 earlsdonwhu 05 Aug 2019
In reply to Ardo:

Sorry, Malan and Ballance have had their chances and repeatedly been found out. Keaton Jennings was another who was just never really able to step up to Test level.

stevieb 05 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Sorry, Malan and Ballance have had their chances and repeatedly been found out. Keaton Jennings was another who was just never really able to step up to Test level.

malan has underperformed in England, but he has got a century and 3 50s against Australia.

Ardo 05 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

They've both been stuck at the troublesome number 3 for England, which Ballance certainly isn't and I don't believe Malan is either, so that's why they're at 5 in my suggested team.

As a Yorkshire follower I can attest that Ballance has typically batted at 4/5/6, so I've opted for the round pegs for round holes option.

earlsdonwhu 05 Aug 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I don't know if he has changed it, but Ballance took a lot of stick over his technique last time he was picked.

(  Mind you Steve Smith's odd technique hasn't held him back!)

Ardo 05 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I've not heard of any major change in technique, though I'm sure he'll have been working on various bits and pieces, as Malan will have, but his figures this season show he's in form. As I mentioned, he's always scored his runs at 5 for Yorkshire, so it was strange that he got thrown in at number 3 for England.

Given the fragility of England's batting I'd be happy to see us pick 3 openers and Root back to 4, but knowing our track record on selection we'd probably pick Hales!

joem 06 Aug 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Ohhhh you’re supposed to have 11!!!!

in that case ill add woakes back in assuming he’s fit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...