Ticks in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jdh90 13 Jun 2021

PSA

I've managed to (knowingly) pick up one tick in thirty years, then seven this weekend.

Bowderstone pinnacle followed by swim near Manesty yesterday. The scramble route up the right of Gillercombe today. Overnight camp a bit below Gillercombe. Just found them all as we got home this evening. Two on the girlfriend too - who hadn't been wearing shorts like myself.

Gave myself a cursory check after wading through bracken off Bowder, they either all evaded notice or I picked them up overnight/today.

Just a friendly reminder to take precautions and check for the sneaky blighters!

Post edited at 21:45
 Georgert 14 Jun 2021
In reply to jdh90:

We caught a couple trying to snag a free meal on our pooch after climbing at Bram Crag on Sunday. Seems they're out in force at the mo. 

Route Adjuster 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Georgert:

I got 14 of the little beggers on a recent visit to raven crag Thirlmere. My climbing partner got none!

Dave Garnett 14 Jun 2021
In reply to jdh90:

> PSA

> I've managed to (knowingly) pick up one tick in thirty years, then seven this weekend.

I was hoping to polish off some long-standing Lakes Classic and Hard Rock gaps myself next month too, but seven in a weekend is impressive!

OP jdh90 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Hahaha! I dont think you realise just how good that joke was. If you knew what I know about my performance on that VDiff, the idea that I could accidentally do anything in Hard Rock at the minute...

Connor Nunns 14 Jun 2021
In reply to jdh90:

I saw 2 crawling on me at Birchen and Gardom's edges yesterday, first I've seen in 25 years. 

climbingpixie 14 Jun 2021
In reply to jdh90:

The Lakes is pretty grim for them at the moment. I was orienteering in the South Lakes last weekend and must've had to remove 10+ from my legs afterwards. Mostly tiny nymphs that were small enough to get through my knee socks, though I had a few full sized ones higher up. I got more ticks in a single day in the Lakes than in the whole Scottish 6 Days in 2019!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...