Thurso / Scrabster Long Stay Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 11 Oct 2019

Next year will be 20 years since I climbed the Old Man of Hoy, in my only trip to Orkney. I quite fancy a trip back.

Probably not a climbing trip, as my wife isn’t a climber, but perhaps a bit of cycle touring, island hopping and visiting places I haven’t been to before as well as revisiting a few places.

Logistically and cost wise, driving to the ferry or close by then taking bikes across would seem sensible. The question is, where would you leave a car for a week?

duncan 11 Oct 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

In the long stay car park in the Scrabster ferry terminal. Cost £10.

If you are lucky, you'll park next to Dave Macleod:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO1t-xkDclf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

TAG_UTLEY 11 Oct 2019

Lots of free on-street parking on some of the residential roads off the A9 and the seafront if your willing to take the chance. Have not had problems leaving car on these roads before if you take all the usual precautions.

Le Sapeur 11 Oct 2019
In reply to TAG_UTLEY:

I would suspect that the residents in said streets aren't too happy about long stay parking outside of their homes. Probably best to pay the £10, which is very good value, and goes to the harbour trust.

OP The New NickB 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I’d be more than happy to pay £10.

Harry Jarvis 11 Oct 2019

Apart from the cost of the ferry, I'm a bit confused as to why you would drive all the way to Scrabster and then not take the car to Orkney. For all that a bit of cycle touring is all very well, a car is very useful on the islands if you want to make the most of your time. 

And, as I think you're a runner, can I recommend the Rousay Lap? It's a community effort on the island of Rousay, which has a road running round most of the island measuring almost precisely a half marathon distance. It's a splendid affair, with runners, walkers, and cyclists of all ages. 

There are other running events, including a half marathon on Hoy, but the Rousay Lap is by far the most special. 

OP The New NickB 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Addition cost on not just the Scrabster to Stromness ferry, but also on inter island ferries.

Cycle touring is a pleasant way to travel in its own right. The size of the islands lend themselves to this.

Unfortunately long distance rail travel in the U.K. with bikes is still pretty hard work and expensive.

Harry Jarvis 11 Oct 2019

> Addition cost on not just the Scrabster to Stromness ferry, but also on inter island ferries.

I still don't really understand. You'll spend the best part of £100 in fuel just getting to Scrabster, and yet you'll choose not to spend on the ferry? You don't need to take the car to the other islands. 

> Cycle touring is a pleasant way to travel in its own right.

Apart from the days when it's windy.

Anyway, it's your trip, and I hope you have a splendid time. If it's 20 years since you were last there, you will notice changes - it's much busier, and sites such as Skara Brae, Maes Howe, and the Stones of Stenness and Brodgar are now firmly on the coach tour itineraries. The recent archaeological excavations at Brodgar are fascinating, and they are unearthing new finds on a very regular basis. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...