Loading Notifications...

this mornings dog walk wildlife

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Got up early, thought I'd try and see the Barn Owl, which I didn't.  Lots of Roe Deer, some very close but they were quicker than me.  Than, for the first time round this patch, a Grasshopper Warbler, reeling away.  If anyone has never heard one, they are amazing.  Loads (hundred+) Goldfinch, Jay, GS Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard.  Good view of a bedraggled Willow Warbler, plenty of Linnets.  Good morning, needed it really, was really annoyed at increasing Covid infections.  Spent 20 mins sat on a rock chillin and soaking up the heat.

Photo: Winter Hill at stupid o'clock.

Post edited at 10:31

In reply to mick taylor:

Also, great view of Yellowhammer having a good sing, Roe Buck (with a missing point or is it the angle?)

In reply to mick taylor:

Young Heron, Willow Warbler

mondite 31 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Went for a run this morning and had a buzzard casually sitting on the fence until I got within about five metres. The sods always keep their distance when I am carrying a camera. I swear they wait for me to head out for a run and then shout to each other its time to turn up and say hi.

MeMeMe 31 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Two deer in our front garden this morning, I didn't even notice them until I startled them by running past!

Loads of Hares about, a couple of Buzzards flying high and calling out, lovely summer day. Worth taking the time to enjoy these summer mornings when you can

In reply to mondite:

Oddly, same here with buzzards, only managed a few good shots.  I take my camera almost every time i take the dog out now, nothings going to get the better of me !!

In reply to MeMeMe:

Yup, enjoy what we can.  I think the buzzards were trying to get the juveniles out of the nest: lots of calling, flying off to nearby trees.  Beautiful morning.  The farmer has left many of his fields fallow (huge area).  See the Roe Deer photo:  that's chamomile and its smells amazing in the hot sun.  wife and myself got really into plants and flowers, I get a bit obsessed but getting good at ID'ing them.

Sl@te Head 21:04 Tue
In reply to mick taylor:

Lizard and Stoat in the Carneddau the other day

Billhook 21:13 Tue
In reply to mick taylor:

Young Marsh Harrier over our fields yesterday and today my 2nd only sight of a Canada Goose swimming close in to the harbour wall in the sea!!

Those Grasshopper warblers sound like fishing reels being wound in!  Unfortunately I can now only hear them if I've got my hearing aids in...    I haven't heard one here for some years now.

Roadrunner6 00:47 Wed
In reply to mick taylor:

I saw an absolutely massive bobcat the other day.

If I'd not seen it's short stubby tail I would have sworn it was a mountain lion which we don't get in that area (Western Maine). It was a good 50 pounds at a guess. Kind of scary that I let my 4 year old daughter just play out on her own with that beast around but they are meant to be totally unthreatening.

Then the other morning hiking up to a start a Hut Traverse through the whites at 3 am I saw a beautiful small owl just perched on a branch. I think it was a Northern Saw-whet Owl. 

In reply to mick taylor:

Macrovipera lebetinus.  Fortunately it slithered off before the pooches discovered it (fortunate for the pooches that us). 

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Great stuff.  

Recently:  kingfisher, flock of 100+ goldfinchs, nuthatch, gs woodpecker, loads roe deer

In reply to mick taylor:

Piccies:  whitethroat, nuthatch, goldfinches.  A pair of nuthatch that suddenly went dead still, posing for photo's.  Then i realised why, turned around and a male sparrowhawk and landed 20 ft behind me which I hadn't noticed (until it flew off !)

In reply to mick taylor:

And this evenings dog walk, with my daughter, rain forecast so left my camera (first time since April).....roe deer and two fawns!  Spotted a few hundred yards away then they made their way towards us, within 40 feet then headed into the woods. Showed three other folk - made their day, and mine. 

In reply to mick taylor:

Same heron, same place. At least I think it’s the same, it’s a year old (lack of white on face and not much of a quiff).  Picked couple pounds blackberries as well. 

In reply to mick taylor:

And, purely coz I’m a bit bored and annoyed with stuff, free bottle of wine for the first person to suss this photo out.

In reply to mick taylor:

Dog having a friendly nose to tail meeting with chameleon.

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

That’s cool. 

streapadair 21:28 Thu
In reply to mick taylor:

Nothing interesting, just a cheeky grey squirrel teasing poor Padaidh.

Big stupid do-og, you can't catch me-e, na na nana na.

In reply to streapadair:

What type of dog?

streapadair 08:58 Fri
In reply to mick taylor:

He's a deerhound, usually shaggier than that but he got his summer trim last week, suffers in warm weather.

In reply to mick taylor:

> And, purely coz I’m a bit bored and annoyed with stuff, 

Excellent photos; appreciate you taking time to regularly post. Looking at this one though, I must have been bored a lot in the past as I used to take many like this! 😉 

In reply to mick taylor:

Something moved yesterday when I watered the plants outside

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.