this mornings dog walk wildlife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 31 Jul 2020

Got up early, thought I'd try and see the Barn Owl, which I didn't.  Lots of Roe Deer, some very close but they were quicker than me.  Than, for the first time round this patch, a Grasshopper Warbler, reeling away.  If anyone has never heard one, they are amazing.  Loads (hundred+) Goldfinch, Jay, GS Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard.  Good view of a bedraggled Willow Warbler, plenty of Linnets.  Good morning, needed it really, was really annoyed at increasing Covid infections.  Spent 20 mins sat on a rock chillin and soaking up the heat.

Photo: Winter Hill at stupid o'clock.

Post edited at 10:31

mick taylor 31 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Also, great view of Yellowhammer having a good sing, Roe Buck (with a missing point or is it the angle?)

mick taylor 31 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Young Heron, Willow Warbler

mondite 31 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Went for a run this morning and had a buzzard casually sitting on the fence until I got within about five metres. The sods always keep their distance when I am carrying a camera. I swear they wait for me to head out for a run and then shout to each other its time to turn up and say hi.

MeMeMe 31 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Two deer in our front garden this morning, I didn't even notice them until I startled them by running past!

Loads of Hares about, a couple of Buzzards flying high and calling out, lovely summer day. Worth taking the time to enjoy these summer mornings when you can

mick taylor 31 Jul 2020
In reply to mondite:

Oddly, same here with buzzards, only managed a few good shots.  I take my camera almost every time i take the dog out now, nothings going to get the better of me !!

mick taylor 31 Jul 2020
In reply to MeMeMe:

Yup, enjoy what we can.  I think the buzzards were trying to get the juveniles out of the nest: lots of calling, flying off to nearby trees.  Beautiful morning.  The farmer has left many of his fields fallow (huge area).  See the Roe Deer photo:  that's chamomile and its smells amazing in the hot sun.  wife and myself got really into plants and flowers, I get a bit obsessed but getting good at ID'ing them.

Sl@te Head 04 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Lizard and Stoat in the Carneddau the other day

Billhook 04 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Young Marsh Harrier over our fields yesterday and today my 2nd only sight of a Canada Goose swimming close in to the harbour wall in the sea!!

Those Grasshopper warblers sound like fishing reels being wound in!  Unfortunately I can now only hear them if I've got my hearing aids in...    I haven't heard one here for some years now.

Roadrunner6 05 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I saw an absolutely massive bobcat the other day.

If I'd not seen it's short stubby tail I would have sworn it was a mountain lion which we don't get in that area (Western Maine). It was a good 50 pounds at a guess. Kind of scary that I let my 4 year old daughter just play out on her own with that beast around but they are meant to be totally unthreatening.

Then the other morning hiking up to a start a Hut Traverse through the whites at 3 am I saw a beautiful small owl just perched on a branch. I think it was a Northern Saw-whet Owl. 

Andy Gamisou 05 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Macrovipera lebetinus.  Fortunately it slithered off before the pooches discovered it (fortunate for the pooches that us). 

mick taylor 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Great stuff.  

Recently:  kingfisher, flock of 100+ goldfinchs, nuthatch, gs woodpecker, loads roe deer

mick taylor 05 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Piccies:  whitethroat, nuthatch, goldfinches.  A pair of nuthatch that suddenly went dead still, posing for photo's.  Then i realised why, turned around and a male sparrowhawk and landed 20 ft behind me which I hadn't noticed (until it flew off !)

mick taylor 05 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

And this evenings dog walk, with my daughter, rain forecast so left my camera (first time since April).....roe deer and two fawns!  Spotted a few hundred yards away then they made their way towards us, within 40 feet then headed into the woods. Showed three other folk - made their day, and mine. 

mick taylor 06 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Same heron, same place. At least I think it’s the same, it’s a year old (lack of white on face and not much of a quiff).  Picked couple pounds blackberries as well. 

mick taylor 06 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

And, purely coz I’m a bit bored and annoyed with stuff, free bottle of wine for the first person to suss this photo out.

Andy Gamisou 06 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Dog having a friendly nose to tail meeting with chameleon.

mick taylor 06 Aug 2020

That’s cool. 

streapadair 06 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Nothing interesting, just a cheeky grey squirrel teasing poor Padaidh.

Big stupid do-og, you can't catch me-e, na na nana na.

mick taylor 06 Aug 2020
In reply to streapadair:

What type of dog?

streapadair 07 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

He's a deerhound, usually shaggier than that but he got his summer trim last week, suffers in warm weather.

In reply to mick taylor:

> And, purely coz I’m a bit bored and annoyed with stuff, 

Excellent photos; appreciate you taking time to regularly post. Looking at this one though, I must have been bored a lot in the past as I used to take many like this! 😉 

mbh 07 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Something moved yesterday when I watered the plants outside

mick taylor 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks. Not sure many folk sussed it was the upside down reflection!

mick taylor 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks. I tend to do very little editing, but was bored when decided to flip the heron photo. Not sure many folk sussed it was the upside down reflection!

mick taylor 08 Aug 2020
In reply to mbh:

Excellent. I’ve never seen one. 

wbo2 08 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor: Really - they are very common around here - frequently see one or two when we go to a crag.  

Ditto adders.

Doug 08 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

highlight this morning was a young buzzard sitting on a chairlift, probably a good spot to watch the grassy piste  (at the moment being grazed by cattle) in the hope of spotting some prey.

mick taylor 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

> highlight this morning was a young buzzard sitting on a chairlift, probably a good spot to watch the grassy piste

That’s a very efficient way of covering lots of ground without flying. Did it pay for a pass?

Doug 08 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

unfortunately for the bird, the lift wasn't running. But a padded bench to sit on must beat a branch or the effort of flying. Talking of birds I need to look up the bird I saw on Thursday - crow /grouse sized, mostly black, but the tail was partly white, flying over subalpine limestone grassland with scatered pine trees at about 2000m. Maybe a Blackgrouse which are supposed to be here but I've yet to see one & I didn't have my binoculars with me for a good look.

Post edited at 12:17
mick taylor 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

Sounds likely. Only seen a few, great birds. 

Billhook 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

I'd agree with the Black Grouse ID in that it sounds like  the right kind of habitat too.  Their flight is much like a grouse's too - normally very direct and quite fast.  You'd also likely to notice the one or more of the white feathers on their tails too.

I'd say you've seen one now!

Doug 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Billhook:

I've seen them before in Scotland (many years ago), but never in France

LeeWood 08 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Perhaps you would have seen even more without canine company - or is your mut well trained ? 

mick taylor 09 Aug 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

My springer is often ‘in the zone’, mum and dad 17 times field trial champions, bought from Ribchester. He’s recall is 100%, I would see more without him - but would probably go out less. 

In reply to mick taylor:

I have taken quite a few photos of herons reflected in water, often just the reflection, but also some I just flip and crop, so it just immediately came to mind! I also have taken photos of water reflections of sunsets, building structures eg bridges, light shows and other things. If say a bridge is in symmetry I’ve been know to rotate 90°and crop to create a form of abstract 🥴 All just for fun! 

In reply to mick taylor:

A couple of months ago when we were in lockdown I was seeing deer most days on my walk in Holyrood Park.  Haven't seen one in weeks.  It's a bit of a pity the traffic is back to normal.

aln 10 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Yesterday while rock-pooling with the grandson I saw one of the strangest things I've ever seen in 50+ years of wildlife watching. A wasp that had been captured by a sea anemone! Just over a third of the wasps back end had been 'absorbed' by the anemone, and it was frantically trying to escape. As we watched, more of it slowly disappeared until only the front third was left. I wondered if the wasp's venom might kill the anemone or stun it enough for the wasp to escape, but it didn't look like it. The tide was coming in, just about to fill the pool, so we had to go, but it looked like the wasp was a goner. Very strange. 

Andy Gamisou 11 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Have to negotiate this wee chap most mornings on my way out with pooches. 

mick taylor 12 Aug 2020

What is it?

aln 13 Aug 2020

That's a cracker. 

mick taylor 13 Aug 2020
In reply to aln:

> That's a cracker. 

Sure is. And your rock pooling observation was amazing, never heard or seen anything like it. 

mack 13 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Some variety of Orb Weaver possibly.

Andy Gamisou 13 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Some variety of orb web spider, as suggested by mack, I believe.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb-weaver_spider

Post edited at 15:36
 aln 13 Aug 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I have some (not very good) photos. But I'm not a site supporter so I don't think I can share them here. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...