Things you won't do post Covid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 06 Aug 2020

Pay for haircuts (trimmer works fine)

Be obliged to hug socially (yay!)

Use cash regularly

skog 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Leave the toilet lid up when flushing.

Go to work with a coughing bug.

Plant quite so many courgettes.

OP MG 06 Aug 2020
In reply to skog:

Why do everyone's courgettes work except mine?

Philip 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Eat raw bat on work trips to China

Red Rover 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Commute

Lankyman 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Lick strangers' faces.

Get in lifts that smell of farts.

Post edited at 09:08
 Rog Wilko 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Philip:

Will this be a change of policy, then?

> Eat raw bat on work trips to China

d_b 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Will this be a change of policy, then?

Thread title only talks about things you won't do.  It doesn't say it has to be something you did before.

With that in mind I won't be leading E6.

Bobling 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Shave every day I go to work.

La benya 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

ooo no cash is a good one!  I haven't used cash for years (unless absolutely necessary) so hopefully this will force the world to catch up.

also hoping for;

No going to work in a normal office- hot desking/ flexible working/ telecommuting and collaboration spaces instead (when i'm not at home).

wintertree 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Go to the hairdresser.

Drive to the lab in under 30 minutes.

Work for a large organisation with management who [long rant redacted] and support services with [long rant redacted].

Otherwise lockdown was basically my preferred lifestyle anyhow so not many more changes.  Already avoided lifts, crowds, shops, busses/trains etc as much as possible.

In reply to MG:

Climb mountains like I used to?

I wish I could be as jaunty as other commentators. 

Like tens of thousands of others in the UK I am 100 days into long haul Covid. From being a fit climber, cyclist, kayaker I appear to have aged 30 years.

I walk up very small hills like an 85 year old, whilst my wife waits for me (the horror).

I guess things never happen to you. Until one day, they do. 

At least the birdwatching and botany is improving. 

Richard Horn 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

To be honest I cant really think of anything I wont ever do again because of Covid. I really am looking forward to when we can shake hands and enjoy close physical company again - it would be rather sad if we let a disease make us become more insular and antisocial, moving in that direction is certainly not "progress".

It was already getting on for a year since I last had cash in my wallet. 

For me a big eye opener was the change in pollution levels - it has re-affirmed my commitment to never using a car when an alternative exists. I was already a cycle commuter, but I have recently started cycling the 30 mile round trip to open-water swimming rather than driving. I hope speeding up environmental protection will be a legacy.

Timmd 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Heartinthe highlands: I hope your recovery is complete, even if it's similarly drawn out. 

Post edited at 10:03
 LastBoyScout 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Still using cash - in fact, I'm going to use some this lunchtime to pay for an item I'm buying via Facebook Marketplace.

I'm just making sure about washing hands and quarantining cash I get given before using it again.

Don't think there's much I won't be doing post-C19 that I was doing before it, apart from much less commuting and avoiding nightclubs! Still wary about indoor swimming, for now.

Helen R 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Reporting here from a country that has eliminated covid (for now, fingers and toes crossed), it's amazing how much everything feels "normal".

This evening I was at a work event in a full theatre. I saw old acquaintances and greeted without thinking about it (including the occasional hug). Crowded into the foyer, chatting and sharing drinks and buffet food. 3 months ago this would have been unthinkable, but its amazing how normality reasserts. (Again, for now)

There's a bit more working from home, so "commute every day" is on the list. But apart from that, there's not much difference to pre covid in day to day life.

Our borders are still closed, but I hope that international travel will be possible again, as my family are mostly in the UK. One day.

timjones 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Bow to the claim that our daughter will be disadvantaged if she has the occasional unauthorised day off school.

LeeWood 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

what ever made you think we would ever get to 'post covid' ? thats just silly !

jbrom 06 Aug 2020
In reply to timjones:

But *every* child has been disadvantaged in some by not going to school during this period. No one is saying otherwise?

OP MG 06 Aug 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

> what ever made you think we would ever get to 'post covid' ? thats just silly !

Well post the immediate crises, which we are at.  We may well get a vaccine too.

timjones 06 Aug 2020
In reply to jbrom:

> But *every* child has been disadvantaged in some by not going to school during this period. No one is saying otherwise?

Exactly!

If it is acceptable to disadvantage every child to this degree it has to be a very strong indication that a few days here and there over 10 plus years of schooling at a parents discretion are no big deal.

Jenny C 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

> Why do everyone's courgettes work except mine?

If it makes you feel any better im still eating for mine to start fruiting too. 

wercat 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Google "Ayanda PPE" to see what not to do at any time, before, during or after a pandemic.  Contracts for mates, millions spent by a dodgy government on a dodgy deal for dodgy PPE not suitable for the purpose for which it was acquired.

ring ouzel 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

As I'm about to become unemployed, and at 57 unlikely to become employed anytime soon, there are many things I won't be doing. Most of them I won't miss.

There are, however, many things that I will be doing but that's another thread.

Timmd 06 Aug 2020
In reply to timjones:

> Exactly!

> If it is acceptable to disadvantage every child to this degree it has to be a very strong indication that a few days here and there over 10 plus years of schooling at a parents discretion are no big deal.

Not nessercabbagely.   I would agree that the odd day here and there when she's below par or what have you won't amount to much, but the reasoning behind children not going to school during covid is that extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

Having missed a decent amount of time due to covid, could be an argument for missing less school in future too, potentially, depending on one's frame of mind...but I'm just exploring things more than anything else.

Post edited at 16:44
 LeeWood 06 Aug 2020
In reply to wercat:

Shocking stuff. But consistent with many other life threatening cock-ups. Just a another 'silly' mistake - we must forgive them - yet again ??!

bouldery bits 06 Aug 2020
In reply to timjones:

> Exactly!

> If it is acceptable to disadvantage every child to this degree it has to be a very strong indication that a few days here and there over 10 plus years of schooling at a parents discretion are no big deal.

I agree.

gazhbo 06 Aug 2020
In reply to timjones:

> Exactly!

I think the difference here is that all the kids will have been disadvantaged at the same time, and will hopefully catch up together.  Part of the justification normally is that it is not fair that the other kids in the class have to suffer while one kid catches up, because his or her parents fancied a quieter or less expensive holiday.

Timmd 06 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Take time and life for granted - the chances for good or new experiences. 

Post edited at 23:53
 BusyLizzie 07 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

> Why do everyone's courgettes work except mine?

No, mine don't work either.

Flinticus 07 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Dismiss news of distant flu like outbreaks as nothing really to worry about.

In reply to MG:

Cash, grrr. Immediately prior to lockdown I withdrew a few hundred to pay for a job which got paid for electronically. I wonder how long it will be before I have to visit a cash machine? 

I hope covid will impact on the culture of presenteeism in the workplace. We all work with at least one of the "never had a day sick in 30 years" crowd, who frequently turn in as a snotty dribbling wreck. Never taken a day but caused a hundred. 

GravitySucks 07 Aug 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

It's a nice thought, but completely ill founded (sic), in the modern culture of fear and blame it's just not going to happen!  Folks are going to stagger into work with bubonic plague just to proove what a valuable (and indispensible) member of the team they are !

timjones 07 Aug 2020
In reply to gazhbo:

If all the kids suffer whilst one catches up there is something tragically wrong with the standard of the teacher.

It's not all about a cheap or quiet holiday it can just as easily be down to the parents work patterns.

PaulJepson 07 Aug 2020
In reply to MG:

Vote Tory. Never did before but hopefully lots of people who did before won't post-covid. 

Fly so casually (to Scotland, to Europe for winter rock, etc.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...