Theresa May is Deluded or Thinks We're Stupid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 17 Jul 2019

Yet again, Theresa May makes a public speech that is so at odds with her voting record and leadership, both as Home Secretary and PM that it actually beggars belief. The woman who has spent the past three years of her life pretending that 48%+ of the population doesn't exist is now spouting this drivel:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49015559

You'd normally put this down to the Clinton-esque "must build a historic legacy" that you see from outgoing leaders, but she's been this deluded/two-faced since she came to prominence.

Kidding herself or does she think she's kidding us?

Andy Hardy 17 Jul 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Kidding herself or does she think she's kidding us?

Since she's never knowingly given a toss about us (the ordinary folk) I would assume she's kidding herself.

Removed User 17 Jul 2019

Yes, I found the bit on compromise particularly ironic.

I can only assume she has no sense of self consciousness.

pasbury 17 Jul 2019

Is she trying to leave a statesmanlike impression before she leaves?

In view of who the next incumbent will be that should be the easiest task in the world.

thomasadixon 17 Jul 2019

Your problem is that you're an absolutist.

May didn't pretend the 48% didn't exist, she tried to put through a deal that meant that until the end of 2020 we effectively remain in the EU, and then thereafter we at the least end up in a customs union.  Both at odds with what leavers wanted - the latter contrary to specific pledges made - and both asked for to satisfy remainers.

OP MonkeyPuzzle 17 Jul 2019
In reply to thomasadixon:

How many times did we hear "The people have spoken" to justify her vision of Brexit (any kind at any cost as long as it has less foreign people)?

Edit: How could I forget the Churchillian "Brexit means Brexit"!

Post edited at 19:28

And I almost forgot that she had the first crack at circumnavigation of Parliament. 

I can bring up more as I think of them if you like...

ClimberEd 17 Jul 2019

A 'final speech' doesn't need to worry about realpolitik, whereas the reality of running the country and the government does.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support May's leadership, but before you condemn her speech for the reasons you have, you need to understand the big picture.

In reply to ClimberEd:

Hypocrisy gets on my wick. Rank hypocrisy gets on it rankly.

pasbury 17 Jul 2019

Are you going for the Man-Booker or something?

wercat 17 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

or something more pulpy?

earlsdonwhu 17 Jul 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

I am no fan of May's but fear that within 6 months we will be looking back fondly on her premiership. When Boris goes even more rogue and we have no viable alternative.......oh God it is depressing! 

Rob Exile Ward 17 Jul 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I think we're going to find out how our constitution stands up to the first real challenges it has faced within living memory - and beyond.

Johnson is going to try and do something that the majority of both Houses know will be catastrophic, and don't support; this is surely going to lead to at least one, maybe two general elections in pretty short order, because the first will be indecisive, with both Corbyn and Johnson revealed as the election losers they are. WTF the EU do in the meantime is anybody's guess; presumably ignore the noise across the Channel and carry on anyway. 

I still feel sorry for Brenda in all this, but even more concerned how Brian will cope with these crises if they occur early in his first ever job.

George Ormerod 17 Jul 2019

She did it to maintain our international obligations under the Good Friday Agreement and it would have just applied to Northern Ireland if the Tory government weren't propped up by the DUP.  To say that this was in any way to satisfy remainers is just delusional.

deepsoup 17 Jul 2019

> but she's been this deluded/two-faced since she came to prominence.

Quite so.  If you have the stomach for it, check out her very first speech as PM.
youtube.com/watch?v=FDyZ8trge2E&

In reply to George Ormerod:

The sheer level of delusion with this whole Brexit debacle is perhaps what's most pitiable about it. I'm not being maudlin because I think very real tears are going to be shed; and blood, I fear. Not to mention thousands of people's livelihoods and thousands of pounds of their savings flushed down the Tory toilet bowl.

Wiley Coyote2 18 Jul 2019

It would not surprise me (and I am not joking or even pointscoring here) if it eventually came out that she had had some kind of mental breakdown. She was clearly hopelessly out of her depth  from the start as PM, an apparatchik who could follow orders but would never make a leader.  Her actions of recent months have  been those of someone who had genuinely lost touch with reality.

earlsdonwhu 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I agree but, despite all that, the zealots will still be saying it is a price worth paying to be free from the EU. Whatever that actually means! I see Boris pandering to this element again with his kipper brandishing act. Wittering on about EU rules and nanny state on food regulations....maybe we actually benefit from cleaner, healthier, safer food? Ironic, if we end up with chlorinated chicken etc. instead.

I have yet to meet anyone who can clearly provide an example of how , in their day to day existence,  life has been negatively impacted by their supposed lack of control due to being 'ruled' by Brussels. 

Martin W 18 Jul 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> the zealots will still be saying it is a price worth paying to be free from the EU

Hmm, I don't remember the price being mentioned much if at all during the referendum campaign - certainly not by the leave contingent, who dismissed such talk as "project fear".

Can I suggest that we now implement project you-voted-for-it-you-bloody-pay-for-it?

Hat Dude 18 Jul 2019

The Guardian headline "May swipes at "rancour and hatred" of Brexit absolutionists" set me thinking in my best Roy Jenkins style, exactly which "rancour" she is referring to?

thomasadixon 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Presumably JRM et al.  I reckon she was talking about Grieve, Soubry, etc too, it’s just the Guardian only sees absolutists on one side.

DancingOnRock 18 Jul 2019

48%+ of the population? How have you arrived at that position? 

Hat Dude 18 Jul 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> 48%+ of the population? How have you arrived at that position?

Same way the Brexiteers arrived at 52%

OP MonkeyPuzzle 18 Jul 2019

> 48%+ of the population? How have you arrived at that position? 

Is that number unfamiliar to you or something?

Yes. I assume you extrapolated from the referendum result and not only is it inaccurate it’s misleading. 

Maybe 30% of the voting public voted to remain, whether or not they really care passionately about what happens or not is not known. I suspect 99% of people who voted in the Brexit couldn’t give a flying f... about the result then and 99.99% are even less interested now. 

This daily s... on UKC and the media in general, is getting incredibly tedious for everyone else  

Post edited at 14:57
 Oceanrower 18 Jul 2019

So. By your clearly made up figures, only 4650 people in the UK care about the referendum result.

Are you sure. I suspect you're out by some order of magnitude...

In reply to Oceanrower:

Yes. I suspect you’re right. 465 would be closer. It’s mainly a bunch of internet keyboard warriors and politicians. Even the political commentators are waking up in the morning dreading going to work to try and create something interesting out of it to ramble on about. 

pasbury 18 Jul 2019

News just in; Man gets VERY angry about subject he doesn't give a shit about.

> Yes. I assume you extrapolated from the referendum result and not only is it inaccurate it’s misleading. 

I prostrate myself at your feet. "Electorate" was the correct term. A mistake well pointed out.

> Maybe 30% of the voting public voted to remain, whether or not they really care passionately about what happens or not is not known. I suspect 99% of people who voted in the Brexit couldn’t give a flying f... about the result then and 99.99% are even less interested now. 

The line I was taking issue with was "The people have spoken", which she gladly bandied about as if "The People" had given their ringing endorsement to *her* Brexit - no freedom of movement, no customs union, etc. I suspect your 99% guestimate is wildly inaccurate. In fact, you could check the nearest opinion poll as a steer.

> This daily s... on UKC and the media in general, is getting incredibly tedious for everyone else  

Yeah, come back and prove that 99% of people just want to stop hearing about it and we can talk. I marched with probably more than 1% of the population in one place against it and I'm pretty sure that wasn't everyone who gives a flying f*ck about Brexit. Thanks for taking the time to comment though. That must have been tedious for you.

Post edited at 15:15
In reply to pasbury:

VERY angry? How can you determine what mood I’m in? Not angry. Didn’t my post convey the absolute tedium that grips me anytime you Brexiters/Remainers post anything here to try and wind each other up?

My eyes are tired of rolling. 

Very good. 

Rest now. We are all very very bored. Sorry. 

pasbury 18 Jul 2019

Breaking news; Man spends time making comments on thread about subject he's utterly sick and tired of.

In reply to pasbury:

Indeed. I’m not the only one. Just thought you’d like to know. Carry on if it’s something that you’re enjoying. 

> VERY angry? How can you determine what mood I’m in? Not angry. Didn’t my post convey the absolute tedium that grips me anytime you Brexiters/Remainers post anything here to try and wind each other up?

> My eyes are tired of rolling. 

This isn't a thread about Brexit. It's a thread about Theresa May's hypocrisy, part of which, understandably, encompasses the biggest political issue of the day. Do pay attention.

Hat Dude 18 Jul 2019

> The line I was taking issue with was "The people have spoken"

I hate it when this phrase is continually trotted out

I suspect a number of  brexit supporters have convinced themselves they had a 52% majority.

A  misconception which Mr Farrago and his like are happy to propagate.

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that she’s one of the 48% she’s been ignoring. 

How does that work? 

Its just another excuse for a nonsense thread isn’t it?

Well you seem to be lapping it up more than most.

pasbury 18 Jul 2019

> You seem to have conveniently forgotten that she’s one of the 48% she’s been ignoring. 

> How does that work? 

She's one of many suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Trevers 18 Jul 2019

> Presumably JRM et al.  I reckon she was talking about Grieve, Soubry, etc too, it’s just the Guardian only sees absolutists on one side.

Dominic Grieve: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10243/dominic_grieve/beaconsfield/divisio...

Anna Soubry: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24772/anna_soubry/broxtowe/divisions?poli...

Both have voted for Brexit on various occasions.

Both, I suspect...

thomasadixon 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Trevers:

I’d expect that JRMs record is the same.  Both voted against May’s deal, the relevant vote.

Post edited at 17:07
 timjones 18 Jul 2019

She's spent the last 3 years trying to get a compromise agreement to work.

You appear to have a strange definition of hypocrisy.

In reply to timjones:

A compromise between moderate Brexiters and hard Brexiters until her deal was rejected twice. Yeah she's a real Nelson Mandela.

Michael Hood 19 Jul 2019

If you take your thread title and replace the "or" with "and" then you get a reasonable picture of the situation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...