There are some wonderful people on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 26 Jun 2020

Thanks to Skog and his daughters, Dave Hewitt and David Myatt (and my mum, but she's not on here!) a van full of rubbish was removed from North Third reservoir today. Everyone was very generous with their time to help me clean up my local dog walk and running area!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10163992322015694&id=747310...

In reply to girlymonkey:

Nice one team, you’re a credit to the site 🙂

Ridge 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well done all. Nice to see something positive for a change!

skog 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Cheers for organising - and it was actually quite good fun! And the weather never really got bad.

I'm still considering whether I can make use of that half-full bottle of MD 20/20, surely covid-19 can't survive in there?

Anyway, let's do it again sometime in the next few weeks - unfortunately there's no shortage of places needing tided.

OP girlymonkey 26 Jun 2020
In reply to skog:

Ha ha, and thankfully your daughter was just a bit too innocent to quietly pocket the full bottle of beer she found! Lol

Yeah, it was good to get out and meet some of the well kent UKC names, and we did get a pretty decent spell of weather for it. 

Yeah, get in touch sometime about the place you mentioned too. 

Rigid Raider 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I was discussing this on Cycle Chat but in the context of our messy new neighbours and people who throw litter in the street. Somebody on there who lives amongst neighbours who have bad habits said he and some of his neighbours are in the habit of going out litter-picking in the street regularly and when residents see him and his quite "senior" friends picking up their crap the message seems to be going home and it's his impession the problem is reducing. 

So why don't the BBC show people picking up litter on the news? Perhaps the tossers would realise that actually local authorities don't pick up their crap, other ordinary folk do.

Post edited at 18:03
Removed User 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well done!

I thought this sign was pretty good: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/dont-tosser-signs-appear-ove...

With all the public bogs shut I believe the meadows in Embra has not been a good place to be: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ian-rankin-dubs-meadows-pe...

Sean Kelly 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Down here in the backwater of Devon  far from the Covid 19 hotspots and all the other hassle of life, the local council have removed small notices about dog fouling campaign (dog fouling matters) running for the last 18mths  have all been removed after one complaint because it was...racist. God give me strength. I am more concerned about stepping in dog-shit than that one person perceives this as racist!

toad 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

This is marvelous. There are some unpleasant rats out in the countryside at the moment, but we shouldn't let them  stop us trying to make it a better place

skog 26 Jun 2020
In reply to toad:

It would be a really good thing if other UKCers got together and did similar cleanups in their own areas.

Not everyone has time, of course - but it's a worthwhile use of a showery afternoon when you might not be going climbing anyway, and at least it's easy to do while social distancing!

kathrync 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Brilliant - sorry I couldn't join you.  Litter picking in the rain would have been infinitely preferable to this afternoon's meeting schedule!

Rob Parsons 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> With all the public bogs shut I believe the meadows in Embra has not been a good place to be: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ian-rankin-dubs-meadows-pe...

Did the overrated Rankin complain about The Meadows - which turns into a warzone whenever the sun comes out - before he chose to live in a millionaire's flat directly overlooking the area?

Rob Parsons 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Excellent effort - thanks.

In reply to kathrync:

It wasn't even all that rainy, and the midges didn't show up either!!

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to swap for your meetings! Lol

Dave Hewitt 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Good to see everyone - and thanks especially to girlymonkey for organising. Nice to see the pics although I don't think the van one quite shows how much litter we nabbed - there must have been around 20 big bags by the end plus a large tent and various griddles etc. It's amazing where people chuck stuff - I had a session in the woods to the east of the dam, where there's only a sketchy path and it can't often be visited - but there were still loads of cans and bottles in there.

It also stayed much drier than anticipated - I'm told that the east side of Stirling was considerably wetter in my absence. After we'd finished I went for a legstretch up Lewis Hill for the first time in a couple of years - first time, in fact, since the Iain T / fire brigade outing mentioned here:

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=12902

It was very pleasant on top (apart from the flies) with quite a few red admirals, one of which repeatedly landed on my arm. Oh, skog - re our conversation about the bagging status of Lewis Hill, I was far from sure that it was a Hump and it's not - only 74m drop in the Carleatheran direction. So it's just one for the Tump baggers!

abr1966 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Good on you all....I've no idea where you are talking about but fair play to you and a big thumbs up!

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Glad you got a nice wander round the top 😊 Yes, the flies have been bad for a couple of weeks now. Nice to see the red admirals though! 

Thanks for all your help! Yes, the van is very full, I am leaving the windows open overnight so that it's not too unbearable in the morning when we go to the tip! Hope the queue isn't too long.

In reply to abr1966:

Thanks.

It's a reservoir near Stirling with a lovely line of crags along the east side (some climbs on them but rarely climbed so would need a really good clean). From the top you can see out over the Trossachs, Ben Lawyers etc. The west and north have loads of flat areas where people like to camp, fish, have BBQs etc. All fine, except they leave an absolute disgusting mess. Most years get bad, but this year has felt worse than normal. I like to walk the dog there and run, so selfishly asked others to help me clear it up! Others were very generous and did turn up to help

skog 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Good to see everyone - and thanks especially to girlymonkey for organising. Nice to see the pics although I don't think the van one quite shows how much litter we nabbed - there must have been around 20 big bags by the end plus a large tent and various griddles etc. It's amazing where people chuck stuff - I had a session in the woods to the east of the dam, where there's only a sketchy path and it can't often be visited - but there were still loads of cans and bottles in there.

> It also stayed much drier than anticipated - It was very pleasant on top (apart from the flies) with quite a few red admirals, one of which repeatedly landed on my arm. Oh, skog - re our conversation about the bagging status of Lewis Hill, I was far from sure that it was a Hump and it's not - only 74m drop in the Carleatheran direction. So it's just one for the Tump baggers!

The Tumps must be a -really- odd list, mostly being low and unremarkable but including some pretty interesting sea stacks and pinnacles!

abr1966 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I must come and have a stay up there one time!! I live in the Peak District...Scotland to me has been drives to Glencoe, Fort William, Aviemore or Torridon for the past 35 years....there must be so much more to see and experience than the standard winter climbing areas!

bouldery bits 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well done all!!

In reply to abr1966:

It's nice, but it's not a trip in itself!! It's a nice dog walk or a relatively straight forward trail run. Worth stopping by for a wee leg stretch though on your way to or from other areas. But since we are still meant to stick close to home for exercise, it has become one of my main stomping grounds for the time being

Dave Hewitt 26 Jun 2020
In reply to skog:

> The Tumps must be a -really- odd list, mostly being low and unremarkable but including some pretty interesting sea stacks and pinnacles!

It's a catch-all list - includes pretty much every damn thing including all the Marilyns and Humps. But in terms of just-Tump things, as you say there must be some notable ones. I think a couple of the Mingulay stacks are in that 30m-100m range and are harder than the main Kilda ones (and I've a feeling there's also a lower Kilda one that's harder than Lee and Armin). Mind you, having said that, two of the best Ochil summits - Colsnaur and Torry aka Wee Torry - aren't even Tumps!

Removed User 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Thanks to Skog and his daughters, Dave Hewitt and David Myatt

Quite modern names for daughters.

PS.  Well done and thank you

skog 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

We were torn between David Duchovny and David Boreanaz for the next one, but it wasn't to be.

Dave Hewitt 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

> Quite modern names for daughters.

I look just like him, too!

Robert Durran 26 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonky

> It's a reservoir near Stirling with a lovely line of crags along the east side (some climbs on them but rarely climbed so would need a really good clean).

It does have one of the finest pure crack climbs in the country: The Flying Dragon (E2 5c). Perfectly clean a couple of years ago.

birdie num num 27 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Clean ups are never a success unless you have folk like me, causing the litter to begin with.

Offwidth 27 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks for this latest fabulous effort and all those keeping the outdoors clean. The hills to oceans campaign can help if people need that.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/hills-2-oceans-returns-for-2020

Gone for good 27 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Chapeau to you and your fellow litter collectors. Its a very selfless act and one I would have happily joined you for were I living in Stirlingshire. I can't help but wonder though, when will there be some actions of consequence taken against the offenders? I walked through the recreation grounds in Stratford on Wednesday night and the amount of rubbish left by countless groups of inebriated teenagers was depressing. What is missing from our society that a large percentage of people seem to not care about their surroundings or public facilities?

Siward 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I was considering recently the number of humps with 6 feet drop in all sides on Rannoch Moor. Roughly a human height. Now 1) has anyone done them all and 2) how long would they take? 

Stob Dearg 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Is that the "dog fouling matters" campaign? Coincidence it might be but it's, shall we say, a little insensitive and , as far as I know, the council isn't taking the posters down but rewording future ones.

Sean Kelly 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Stob Dearg:

In what way insensitive as it was posted 12 months before the world had heard about the Black Lives Matter campaign? And only one ar*ehole objected. What about the opinion of the silent majority. The world has gone totally mad when the views of one person can override what is an annoying habit from the small number that can't be bothered to pick up their dog poo.

Post edited at 14:21
 Dax H 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

The Black Lives Matter slogan has been about for quite a few years now. If the signs have only been up 18 months then they were late to the party. 

That said people need to get a grip, also anyone not picking up their dogs shite should be shot on site, no warning just put them down and re home their dog with better owners. 

Tom Valentine 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> What is missing from our society that a large percentage of people seem to not care about their surroundings or public facilities?

It's hard to understand. Spoiling the tone of the Liverpool football  thread by mentioning the amount of rubbish the fans left behind as part of their celebrations doesn't seem to have gone down too well. 

Lankyman 27 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

My ex and I walked a circuit over Lewis Hill and the dolerite crags a few years ago. We thought it was a great little hike. The only downer was the Ned riding his motorcycle up the track on the east side. I know access law is more open in Scotland but I'm sure that's not on. We used to do these short walks to break the journey heading north for some 'proper' stuff. Sad to hear the crap heads are out and about up there. Well done for getting out and tackling it. I used to do a weekly litter pick with volunteers around the Silverdale AONB but don't have the time now. We had those long-handled pickers with a grab on the end which saved a lot of stooping. They belong to the AONB which gets funded by the local councils. Might be worth tapping up your equivalent if you decide to make it a regular gig?

Cheers, Karl

Lankyman 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> dogs shite should be shot on site

Try saying that when you're half-crossed? Could be handy come next Saturday.

Cobra_Head 27 Jun 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

It feels like people have been saving up their rubbish to leave in the beauty spots!

We have some lovely parks around here, and lately they've been left looking like rubbish tips, people can be absolute dickheads sometimes.

the rangers have been out talking to groups and leaving bags for them to put their crap in, and sometime get a load of abuse back.

Well done on you clean up, it's a pity you had to be the one's to do it.

Bravo

Dave Hewitt 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

> I was considering recently the number of humps with 6 feet drop in all sides on Rannoch Moor. Roughly a human height. Now 1) has anyone done them all and 2) how long would they take? 

Suspect one would go mad in the process. Even with the actual list of Humps (not my cup of tea although I take a sort of semi-professional passing interest) it feels that madness lies in that general direction. Certainly with Tumps, if not Humps.

nufkin 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Dax H:

>  anyone not picking up their dogs shite should be shot on site, no warning just put them down and re home their dog with better owners.

But what to do with the bodies? Much harder to bag and carry, and if you leave them it's just replacing one problem with another

Rob Parsons 27 Jun 2020
In reply to nufkin:

> But what to do with the bodies?

The dogs'll eat 'em.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...