The right way to do it....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsbar 09 Jun 2020

Well done to the Canal and Rivers Trust.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52977088

Bacon Butty 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

The 'Mob' probably don't even know it exists.
The C&RT are probably hedging their bets by removing it now before they get nailed with a huge bill cleaning up the mess after it becomes a target.

Timmd 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Yes, well done to them. People need to know that it's where money for the industrial revolution and Britain's growth to being a power on the world stage came from, the slave trade, and the use of slaves in exploiting other country's resources, producing sugar and cotton and what have you.  There's racists who hark back to Britain's great days (or powerful days), during the British Empire, without seeming to appreciate the role played by other countries and races in making them happen, that it wasn't created solely from the graft of white British people.

Post edited at 20:56
OP marsbar 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

I can assure you they know where all of them are.  There is a map.  

Apart from the head from Ashbourne, which is apparently hidden in someone’s garage so the council can’t get it.  

I suppose this particular one was especially conveniently situated on a dock.  

Post edited at 20:58
OP marsbar 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Timmd:

History in the making.  I remember seeing the Berlin Wall come down too.  

Bacon Butty 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> History in the making.  I remember seeing the Berlin Wall come down too.  

You're not seriously comparing the fall of the Berlin Wall, and all that went with what that signified etc., with some statues of 300 year old slave traders being removed, are you?

You've really got caught up in the hysterical frenzy, haven't you?!

OP marsbar 09 Jun 2020

It’s different but still an important moment in time.  Don’t really care if you think it’s hysteria, I’m delighted.  

Gone for good 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Timmd:

All Empires were built, to some extent, with the use of slaves. Look no further than the Egyptian pyramids, much of ancient Rome and Athens. The British Empire was built mainly on naval power and trade and of course history tells us that Britain grew wealthy by trading on the back of the tobacco,  cotton and sugar plantations which all used slave labour to grow, tend and harvest the crops. I havent even started on China and India but I think we can guess who built the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall of China. None of which is to excuse the brutal treatment of the Africans who were enslaved and treated appallingly and under no circumstances will I ever attempt to do so. 

I don't think its that people need to necessarily resent or reject the past. On the whole I think Britain has a history to be proud of, much the same as France or Italy or any of the other ancient European nations. (I know Italy is a recent creation before the pedants flame me). The past is the past. Its lessons should tell us to be more tolerant of each other, that we can live peaceful lives side by side with one another. Britain can have both an interesting and eventful colonial past and a positive creative and tolerant future. Britain, after all, was one of the first countries to abolish slavery. I dont buy the notion that this is a Berlin Wall moment in our history.  A few deposed statues do not a revolution make and whilst I hope for a change in the way BAME people are treated, especially in America,  I expect over time not much will change. I'm not even sure what can be done to change America which as we know has a violent society and its institutions can seem very racist. I hope for the best but expect the worst to continue. 

Bacon Butty 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

Just to extend that somewhat to this day and age ...

Honestly, I don't give a f*ck about what happened 100s or 1000s of years ago, we now have a modern day equivalent (almost).  A reluctantly legally enforced minimum wage to prevent ruthless employers exploiting employees, zero hour contracts, etc etc.

We need to concentrate on the here and now!

Gone for good 09 Jun 2020

> Just to extend that somewhat to this day and age ...

> Honestly, I don't give a f*ck about what happened 100s or 1000s of years ago, we now have a modern day equivalent (almost).  A reluctantly legally enforced minimum wage to prevent ruthless employers exploiting employees, zero hour contracts, etc etc.

> We need to concentrate on the here and now!

You're not even close on comparing or trying to compare the historical slave trade and today's society. I would go as far to say its insulting to the memory of the slaves who were mercilessly beaten, raped, worked half to death if not dying in the course of their enslavement.  

That's not to say we shouldn't concentrate on the here and now as well as reflect on the past and plan for a better future.

Bacon Butty 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> I can assure you they know where all of them are.  There is a map.  

I missed this, they need a map, hahahahahaa
Oh dear!

Bacon Butty 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> It’s different but still an important moment in time.  Don’t really care if you think it’s hysteria, I’m delighted.  

Berlin Wall - historic & unforgettable.
Statues in water - next month's chip wrappers.

mondite 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Definitely sits oddly with the museum given that has a gallery about the slave trade and how it interacted with London.

Maybe they could move the statue to be part of it.

Baron Weasel 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> It’s different but still an important moment in time.  Don’t really care if you think it’s hysteria, I’m delighted.  

Exactly, well said. 

Xharlie 10 Jun 2020
In reply to mondite:

> Maybe they could move the statue to be part of it.

But isn't that precisely where it belongs, though? I'm pretty damn sure that that display gallery isn't set up to glorify slavery and putting the statue in it is putting the man in the context in which he operated.

A museum gallery doesn't even have to be judgemental, it just has to state the facts: this was slavery, that's what happened, these are the people who suffered under it and here's one of the men who were responsible for it -- let the viewer judge for themselves.

mondite 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Xharlie:

> But isn't that precisely where it belongs, though? I'm pretty damn sure that that display gallery isn't set up to glorify slavery and putting the statue in it is putting the man in the context in which he operated.

Yes I think it would work having it as part of the exhibition although it is a fairly cramped museum so dunno about the spacing for it. Having it sit proudly outside without any reference doesnt seem right though.

Old Skooled 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> Britain can have both an interesting and eventful colonial past 

= genocidal expropriation. 

dread-i 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Xharlie:

>A museum gallery doesn't even have to be judgemental, it just has to state the facts: this was slavery, that's what happened, these are the people who suffered under it and here's one of the men who were responsible for it -- let the viewer judge for themselves.

We need to acknowledge that unacceptable things happened in the past. To remove some of these statues is to simply whitewash history, removing our collective white guilt.

I'm guess that many of the statues exist simply to glorify someone ego, rather than to acknowledge that they did some worthwhile thing. I think these statues and other examples such as street names, need to be reviewed. In many cases the should be removed. The remaining should have an additional plaque explaining the full context. This recent national debate about slavery and glorifying slavers, came about because of a statue, after all.

I do like Banksy's idea. Show the statue and show that people aren't happy with it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-banksy-idUSKBN23G2JJ

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...