The private sector puts men in Space

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Fabulous news!

But can you dock with the ISS?

Here's SpaceX's simulator...

https://iss-sim.spacex.com

wintertree 30 May 2020
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Fantastic isn’t it!  Wintertree, Jr was chuffed to stay up late to watch the launch.

As exciting as the private sector part is, I’m more excited by Heinlein’s dream of genuinely reusable VTVL rocketry not just coming to pass but carrying people.  I was lucky enough last year to go to the pub with the retired USAF general who oversaw the DC-X program; the Americans were so close to this 30 years ago.  

Post edited at 23:11

The private sector have always been central to NASA's activities. This just takes it a bit further.

RX-78 30 May 2020

Loved the drone ship name, rip Iain Banks.

Tringa 31 May 2020

I've been trying the docking simulated on and off for a few days now and never managed to do it. I get really close then it all goes wrong.

Dave

Lankyman 31 May 2020

'In space no-one can hear you scream'

Observer, watching from the ISS dome:

'Get that f*ucking moron away from the controls!'

Thanks for that! Quite addictive. 

In reply to Stuart Williams:

It looks fairly straight forward but I think there's alot more to it than first appearances. The craft has to be orientated right in 3 dimensions (pitch, yaw and roll), coming in on the correct "line(?)" and at an appropriate speed. In short, being an astronaut looks to be a giant pain in the arse. The simulator gave me motion sickness too, as an aside.

I also wonder about how appropriate touchscreen technology is for piloting a spacecraft? Switches and dials can't crash.

freeflyer 31 May 2020
In reply to RX-78:

> Loved the drone ship name, rip Iain Banks.

Here's why the video link frustratingly cuts out every time just before the rocket lands on the drone ship:

youtube.com/watch?v=hH75bVG7HBo&

Do they need the second ship? Of course they do!!

nikoid 31 May 2020

> I also wonder about how appropriate touchscreen technology is for piloting a spacecraft? Switches and dials can't crash.

I was wondering about just hitting the right part of the touch screen with all the vibration going on. I gather a rocket ride is far from smooth. It's bad enough just changing channels on a car radio with a  touch screen on a jiggly road. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...