The phrase 'social distancing'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigbobbyking 24 Nov 2020

Why did we start using the phrase 'social distancing' when 'physical distancing' would be easier to understand? Find it weird going into shops seeing signs saying 'please abide by social distancing'.

Jon Stewart 24 Nov 2020
In reply to bigbobbyking:

> Why did we start using the phrase 'social distancing' when 'physical distancing' would be easier to understand? Find it weird going into shops seeing signs saying 'please abide by social distancing'.

Maybe because "social" distancing tells us it's about the distance between people, whereas "physical distancing" could be about the distance between atoms, or refrigerators, or galaxies?

Jon Read 24 Nov 2020

Social distancing is a catch-all phrase that also includes non-physical distancing interventions such as increasing hand hygiene, mask wearing, etc. And also just reducing social contact rate.

Dave Garnett 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Maybe because "social" distancing tells us it's about the distance between people, whereas "physical distancing" could be about the distance between atoms, or refrigerators, or galaxies?

That sounds a bit dualist for you Jon! Anyway, why not personal distancing then?  

Isn't social distancing about unfriending people and being careful not to be seen as sharing their opinions and values? 

DancingOnRock 24 Nov 2020

Social relates to how we come together, meet and organise our society. 

ie create distance when we meet and come together when organising ourselves in groups. 

DancingOnRock 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

>Isn't social distancing about unfriending people and being careful not to be seen as sharing their opinions and values? 

That’s political distancing. 

deepsoup 24 Nov 2020

Who cares?   <--  emotional distancing

Iamgregp 24 Nov 2020

Yes I always think that too.

The other one that annoys me is when people say something like "in the current climate there are a lot of people being made redundant".

I mean there are, but that's got nothing to do with the weather.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...