The North rebels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climber_Bill 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

What would Officer Renz say eh?

Herdwickmatt 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

It won’t be long before King Boris rides forth putting those north of Milton Keynes to the sword. It will be a hard winter once our crops are decimated and fields sown with salt! 

MG 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

So will we have Kent, Manchester Scotland, Wales and NI having borders with the UK!

Herdwickmatt 18 Oct 2020
In reply to MG:

Don’t forget the Scots border is pushing down to the Tyne. I don’t want to left in a country so full of Middle Englanders. I’d rather become Southern in the new state of Scothumberland. Obviously Holyrood will need to move to Bamburgh to placate the Reivers but it’s a small price to pay for Scotland’s safety in the post apocobrexcovid wasteland we’ll be living in

Post edited at 18:52
 MG 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Good point. Wont the proximity of Bernard Castle and nearby estates to the border be an issue.

Herdwickmatt 18 Oct 2020
In reply to MG:

You’re right. But I think after a short but bloody war Westminster will remember the fearsome nature of man in a skirt trying to make music from a sack of air and some pipes. 

To be honest there is nothing scary about Northumbrian pipes but I do love the sound of them.

aln 18 Oct 2020

>  man in a skirt

For the umpteenth time, it's not a f*cking skirt. It's a kilt. Not a skirt, a kilt. Jeez. 

But you seem OK, after the border's closed, you might get in. 

Hat Dude 18 Oct 2020

> You’re right. But I think after a short but bloody war Westminster will remember the fearsome nature of man in a skirt trying to make music from a sack of air 

There isn't a bigger sack of air this side of the Atlantic  than Boris!

Herdwickmatt 18 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

Apologies, you miss understand. I mean wor Dave from Byker. He wears a skirt in the Toon and is a fearsome sight to behold. 

Ive always wanted a kilt, nice spot of Northumbrian tartan.

girlymonkey 18 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

If men want to wear a skirt into battle, that is their right! Kilts seem much warmer and tougher, but if they prefer a nice circle skirt or even one with a slit up to the thigh, it's up to them!

girlymonkey 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Hat Dude:

> There isn't a bigger sack of air this side of the Atlantic  than Boris!

And what sort of music would you manage to produce from him? 

aln 18 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Erm... I'm not sure where this is going. I'm Scottish, I was joking about the kilts. 

girlymonkey 18 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

I know. I was taking the joke further, I thought! Maybe one of these where tone doesn't transmit well on a forum. 

bouldery bits 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Obviously, Devon will go independent and subjugate that lot over the Tamar in 'West Devon'.

Then, we'll consider invading Somerset but decide not to bother because of Bridgewater.

Andy Hardy 18 Oct 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

If you could see your way clear to seizing Reet-Smugg for a ransom, we in the people's Republic of Mancunia would be most obliged.

Hat Dude 19 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> And what sort of music would you manage to produce from him?

It wouldn't matter what you tried to play, the only tune to come out would be "Rule Britannia"

wercat 19 Oct 2020
In reply to MG:

> Good point. Wont the proximity of Bernard Castle and nearby estates to the border be an issue.

I can't See that personally, but then I might need an eye test

EdS 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Manchester isn't in the North though.... North Midlands may be

It's closer to Birmingham than Penrith 

Flinticus 19 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Your comment sparked a distant memory...after much Google research...

rubble 19 Oct 2020
In reply to EdS:

‘tis outside the M25 though and, to many, that’s norf, innit ... 😶

Post edited at 12:22
 graeme jackson 19 Oct 2020
In reply to EdS:

At last! an opinion on UKC I can wholeheartedly agree with.

jkarran 19 Oct 2020

> Don’t forget the Scots border is pushing down to the Tyne. I don’t want to left in a country so full of Middle Englanders. I’d rather become Southern in the new state of Scothumberland.

Keep it coming, at least half a mile south of the Ouse please.

jk

Dave Garnett 19 Oct 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Then, we'll consider invading Somerset but decide not to bother because of Bridgewater.

It's a wise geopolitical principle never to invade anywhere you can't spell.

Dave Garnett 19 Oct 2020

> It won’t be long before King Boris rides forth putting those north of Milton Keynes to the sword. It will be a hard winter once our crops are decimated and fields sown with salt! 

Whether Andy Burnham can prevail as Warden of the North will depend on how trustworthy powerful current allies like Ser Graham of House Brady to the south west remain.  

Post edited at 13:47
 PaulJepson 19 Oct 2020
In reply to EdS:

Depends whether you are talking geographically, culturally or economically. Economically there isn't really a midlands and the divide runs roughly from the mouth of the Severn to the mouth of the Humber. That's why Birmingham feels like a northern city. 

Neil Williams 19 Oct 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> That's why Birmingham feels like a northern city. 

Does it?  I've always thought it felt like a bit of a hybrid.  Sort of like Bristol but not in an economic sense.

(The accent is a straight hybrid of North and South - my accent is a bit of both, from about 20 years in each, and people who hear it tend to place me in the West Midlands even though I've never lived there! )

Post edited at 14:19
 summo 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Hasn't one of anti-lockdown northern Labour rebel MPs just been hospitalised with covid? 

mondite 19 Oct 2020
In reply to summo:

> Hasn't one of anti-lockdown northern Labour rebel MPs just been hospitalised with covid? 

Got to admire the spin here.

They arent anti lockdown (at least the labour ones in the main) but want an effective safety net putting in place for the vulnerable. You know, like the one which was done originally.

They also arent rebels.

Remember Manchester was, in effect, in level 2 lockdown for several months with no additional support. So its not surprising that they are asking now given the government have suddenly noticed it might be a good idea to support tier 2 (since London and other places are going into it).

It also isnt just Labour MPs but politicans across the board.

Post edited at 14:34
 summo 19 Oct 2020
In reply to mondite:

Wouldn't closing pubs massively reduce a&e and hospital pressure through drink related incidents, and free up the police?. Not to mention the general health benefits. If a few pubs that were struggling go bust, in the big scheme of things is that really a disaster? 

profitofdoom 19 Oct 2020
In reply to EdS:

> Manchester isn't in the North though.... North Midlands may be

Manchester is in the Midlands?!?! BLASPHEMY

Signed, profitofdoom, Midlander

mondite 19 Oct 2020
In reply to summo:

> in the big scheme of things is that really a disaster? 

and now a seamless pivot to a new attack line.  Why do you think the government are choosing not to support them properly?

Bearing in mind that they were effectively in tier 2 lockdown for the last 12 weeks without any additional support. As that is only being talked about now that London etc is going in.

Why isnt the government supporting the low paid workers in the pubs by giving them the 80% bearing in mind they will mostly be on minimum wage. Would you want to live on that?

Post edited at 15:03
 summo 19 Oct 2020
In reply to mondite:

yes I think those on minimum wage should have a full wage.

Pubs, high street shops, many stale sandwich eateries etc.. many won't survive, the world has changed. More folk will shop online for the rest of their lives, folk don't need to buy yet another outfit for the office, they'll barely work in one again. Etc etc.  There is no point saving or trying to save something that was going to imminently die anyway. 

EdS 19 Oct 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Culturally Manchester doesn't feel like a Northern town and Brum certainly doesn't

The New NickB 19 Oct 2020
In reply to EdS:

> Culturally Manchester doesn't feel like a Northern town and Brum certainly doesn't

To be fair, neither of them are towns. 

OP Bob Kemp 19 Oct 2020
In reply to summo:

> Hasn't one of anti-lockdown northern Labour rebel MPs just been hospitalised with covid? 

And your point is...?

OP Bob Kemp 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> It's a wise geopolitical principle never to invade anywhere you can't spell.

Napoleon had no end of trouble with Россия- explains a lot...

bouldery bits 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> It's a wise geopolitical principle never to invade anywhere you can't spell.

Hoist with his own petard!!

PaulJepson 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Bristol feels very different to Birmingham. 

Birmingham has lots of cheaper housing, red-brick terraces and factories that point to its industrial past. 

Bristol has massive limestone townhouses, no affordable accommodation,  and an industry based on engineering and media.

EddInaBox 19 Oct 2020
In reply to summo:

>  ... There is no point saving or trying to save something that was going to imminently die anyway. 

Come on now, the economy isn't going to die on the 1st of January... unless Boris Johnson fails to dish up his oven ready trade deal by the end of this month.

summo 19 Oct 2020
In reply to EddInaBox:

> >  ... There is no point saving or trying to save something that was going to imminently die anyway. 

> Come on now, the economy isn't going to die on the 1st of January... unless Boris Johnson fails to dish up his oven ready trade deal by the end of this month.

High street shopping it's been dying for 20 years. Covid was just a job lot of nails in the coffin. Who needs a new shirt for the office or dress for the night club etc... do you really want to try on clothes some one else just touched... 

Toby_W 19 Oct 2020
In reply to summo:

I thought you had to order clothes like that from some special Japanese site, each to his own ;-0

cheers

Toby

ScraggyGoat 20 Oct 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

The built environment of Brizzle also had a lot of  profit from.............slavery invested in it; so its a bit historically grubby like Brum, but not on the surface!

Post edited at 12:24
 fred99 20 Oct 2020
In reply to MG:

> So will we have Kent, Manchester Scotland, Wales and NI having borders with the UK!

What about Wessex ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...