The nice little things in life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 19 Nov 2021

Had a moment to reflect this morning.  Those fleeting moments in life that make you smile, put you in a good frame of mind or give you a frisson of pleasure.  Some of the ones I've had in the past twelve hours:

A traffic light on the way to work turning green as you approach it, meaning you can sail through

Thinking you've drank your tea and really wanting more, but looking over and seeing your cup is still half full (and hot)

A massive full moon in a dark sky, with a few wisps of cloud in front of it

Waking up and feeling fully refreshed and rested, and realising you went to sleep almost as soon as your head hit the pillow.

Realising it's Friday, when you thought it was Thursday

VictorM 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Going to bed already looking forward to that first sip of coffee in the morning and then drinking that actual first cup of coffee and it's everything you wanted it to be. 

OP ThunderCat 19 Nov 2021
In reply to VictorM:

We've got access to the top few floors of a multi storey car park here.  Despite getting here when it's early and totally empty, I like to drive right to the very top to the roof so I get a bit of a view of the city skyline on one side, and then the dark hills of Saddleworth to the other.  Take a few minutes to look at it before I head down to work.

RX-78 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Regarding the tea, more usually i go to drink more and i find its already empty, snd i don't remember drinking it all! Cue another cup!

RX-78 19 Nov 2021
In reply to RX-78:

But in the spirit of the email, looking out to the garden and seeing a fox resting on the garage roof.

Or walking up the garden to put stuff in the compost bin, passing the pond and seeing some frogs sticking their heads out or hearing the plop as they jump in to hide.

Post edited at 09:20
 nufkin 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Kicking through the autumn leaf piles

subtle 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Cycling to work and passing a pair of buzzards as they are sitting waiting on daylight coming  - single track road, they generally sitting on hedgerow or fencepost as I cycle by - makes my morning 

cenotaphcorner 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat: When I read your post I immediately thought of the song, 'That's Entertainment' by The Jam. Though a 'kick in the balls' is not my cup of tea!

Andy Gamisou 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Not being in pain.

In reply to RX-78:

> Regarding the tea, more usually i go to drink more and i find its already empty, snd i don't remember drinking it all! Cue another cup!

Well that happens to me as well, to be fair. It's a bummer alright.

In reply to RX-78:

> But in the spirit of the email, looking out to the garden and seeing a fox resting on the garage roof.

> Or walking up the garden to put stuff in the compost bin, passing the pond and seeing some frogs sticking their heads out or hearing the plop as they jump in to hide.

I'd heard there were deer in the woods beside us and I've only managed to catch sight of a young one once.  Right down the far end of the bridle path.  Stopped and stared at it, it stared back, then it bounded off back into the woods. Absolutely magical, more so for being the one and only time it's happened.

In reply to subtle:

> Cycling to work and passing a pair of buzzards as they are sitting waiting on daylight coming  - single track road, they generally sitting on hedgerow or fencepost as I cycle by - makes my morning 

There are bats in the woods beside us.  Being in there at the right time where it's getting dark but there is just enough light left in the sky to see them flitting about is great.  I cycled home one night and kept getting one flying along beside me for a second or two all the way home (probably wasn't the same one, but still amazing)

Michael Hood 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

We once had a bat in the kitchen, no idea how it got in. I'm surprised you didn't hear the Mrs scream, you live within 50 miles of Manchester don't you 😁

I just opened the back door and after a couple more circuits it flew out.

Bat flight is "funny". With birds the body stays still and the wings flap. With bats it's like the wingtips stay still and the body flaps.

That "unnatural" flight and the fact it's usually dark, is IMO a lot of the reason why bats are spooky.

Post edited at 10:00
In reply to Michael Hood:

> We once had a bat in the kitchen, no idea how it got in. I'm surprised you didn't hear the Mrs scream, you live within 50 miles of Manchester don't you 😁

About 13 miles as the bat flies

I'm sure UB40 had a song about this

> I just opened the back door and after a couple more circuits it flew out.

> Bat flight is "funny". With birds the body stays still and the wings flap. With bats it's like the wingtips stay still and the body flaps.

> That "unnatural" flight and the fact it's usually dark, is IMO a lot of the reason why bats are spooky.

I think they get a bad press.  Mam is terrified of them,  the 'stories' of them getting trapped in peoples hair and tearing their scalps trying to get out  meant that when we took her to the bat house at Chester Zoo she prettty much held her coat over her head and ran through to the exit

RX-78 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Nature does present some great moments, we were cycling in woods near the Suffolk coast on the weekend, the sun came out for a bit and lit up the autumnal colours of the trees and ferns, magical! On the same ride we came across a lovely red mushoom that had just popped out of the earth, with soil still on its top.

Bottom Clinger 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Hearing the distant honk of geese, scanning the skies, seeing a massive skein of pink footed geese, and they get closer and closer and pass right over head.

Picking my children up from the train station and seeing that smile when we spot each other. 

Opening the oven door and seeing those Yorkshire Puddings have risen perfectly.

DerwentDiluted 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Finding a pound coin in the washing machine. Feels like finding a Saxon Hoard for a fraction of a second.

Lankyman 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Gliding into the small room, debagging and offloading in a continuous, graceful motion sans skidmarks. What a great start to the day!

In reply to ThunderCat:

Some lovely autumn sun bursting through the clouds on this morning's bike ride.

In reply to Lankyman:

> Gliding into the small room, debagging and offloading in a continuous, graceful motion sans skidmarks. What a great start to the day!

Well I've got to admit that's kind of what started me thinking of this.  Left the house at about 6 this morning and started to feel the need for the bathroom on the way in.  Have to drop the missus off first (no euphemism there), then get into work.  Was quite close to a brown alert by the time I got to the office but man....the relief when I made it.   There's no feeling quite like it.

In reply to Deleated bagger:

> Some lovely autumn sun bursting through the clouds on this morning's bike ride.

My office faces due east.  i was in before sun up and got an awesome sunrise this morning

In reply to ThunderCat:

Seems my phantom disliker is out of his grotto again.  To quote Buzz Lightyear, "you are a sad strange man, and you have my pity"   Big kisses pal

Queenie 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Hungering for boiled eggs and soldiers for lunch, but seeing no eggs left in the fridge.

Walking up to the henhouse in hope, then reaching into the dark nest box. Fingers finding two warm, smooth ovoids in the straw

wercat 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

unexpectedly, Lambs Liver with onions and gravy for lunch

Stichtplate 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Personally speaking, life’s  small pleasures often gain greater significance in the anticipation. 

While being roundly abused by a patient in the early hours of this morning (I’d spoilt their evening by reversing their heroin inspired respiratory arrest), I was able to maintain zen like calm by simply contemplating today’s dog walk.

Lankyman 19 Nov 2021
In reply to Queenie:

> reaching into the dark nest box. Fingers finding two warm, smooth ovoids in the straw

You are Jackie Collins and I claim my £5

Timmd 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Seeing the last of the evening light tingeing the clouds a golden brown colour as I cycled home with it contrasting against the pale wintery blue of the sky, and enjoying the coldness against my face.

Fingers crossed it's fine for a cycle to Stanage Pole early tomorrow morning...

Post edited at 17:13
 profitofdoom 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Just walking through trees, round a lake, and the mountains of course, nature as untouched as possible. It's curing/ curative and good for body and soul

alan moore 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

First crust off a loaf of tiger bread.

In reply to alan moore:

Oh sweet jesus. Tiger bread 😍

bouldery bits 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Unbroken sleep.

Baz P 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

A month ago a Range Rover shot past me on the inside, pulled in front of me then into the outside lane, which was the wrong lane for where he was going. He then accelerated past a couple of cars, pulled in again and accelerated off.

A mile later he was through the barrier on an island. Priceless  

Slackboot 20 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Going to put stuff in the kitchen bin....and realising that it's not full and you won't have to empty it first!

In reply to ThunderCat:

This

overdrawnboy 20 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

"Sitting in awe watching a waxing moon ride across the zenith of the heavens like an ambered chariot towards the ebony void of infinite space. Seeing Mars and Jupiter hanging majestically in their orbital majesty....

I thought they really should put a roof on this toilet."

Les Dawson.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...