The new “I don’t own a TV”

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 24 Oct 2019

I do own a TV, I even watch sometimes. However, I don’t have any subscription services. No SKY, BT, Netflix, Amazon.

Is this the new “I don’t own a TV”?

arch 24 Oct 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

IPTV is your friend.

felt 24 Oct 2019

No, the old new "I don't have a TV" is "I don't have a smartphone." The new new "I don't have a TV" is "I don't fly."

LastBoyScout 24 Oct 2019

We binned Sky a few years ago.

We have the absolute basic BT package, as it's bundled with the internet and phone and handy for the kids, but we don't have any of the add-ons, or any of Netflix/Amazon/etc.

I have toyed with moving to a free-view box, but not got round to properly investigating the pros and cons...

Stichtplate 24 Oct 2019

I have an enormous TV, plus sky, amazon and Netflix. I like to have it on in the background while I read. 

Timmd 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

> No, the old new "I don't have a TV" is "I don't have a smartphone." The new new "I don't have a TV" is "I don't fly."

Are you talking about the impact they have, or how people can like to say them?

felt 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I thought this thread was a response to another where "I don't have a TV" was described as a form of virtue signalling. I'm speaking in that vein.

OP The New NickB 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

> I thought this thread was a response to another where "I don't have a TV" was described as a form of virtue signalling. I'm speaking in that vein.

As much as I hate the phrase “virtue signalling”, sort of. It was also partly the fact that a good proportion of these people without TV’s were still watching a lot of the content, just through a streaming service.

Overall, I do sometimes feel like I’m the only person in the world who still just has Council telly, as we used to say.

Flinticus 24 Oct 2019

No subscriptions but have Freeview.

Currently watching Lost on DVD box set..so retro.

Toerag 24 Oct 2019

I have a TV, but it's not connected to an aerial. I've watched 1 DVD and 1 iplayer programme on it this year. My wife will watch the odd old film or Simon Reeve series on her ipad whilst doing the washing up. My vice is the interweb, but consuming forums or Faceache.  We still pay our TV license as I listen to BBC local radio on my way to work and read the BBC news website each morning and feel I get reasonable value for that. 

felt 24 Oct 2019

> As much as I hate the phrase “virtue signalling”,

I don't like it either. As a phrase it almost describes itself. I also don't like "humble bragging".

Council telly, eh. I still remember when C4 first came in. Four whole channels! How spoilt we felt. (Well, three channels, as we discounted ITV with the sort of look that you can catch on Rob Bryson's face at 1:19 on this clip: youtube.com/watch?v=HsS3of0VzUE&)

In reply to felt:

I also remember the C4 launch. We didn’t used to watch ITV either, except for Coronation Street for some reason. I’m the same, except I don’t watch Coronation Street.

Timmd 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

> I thought this thread was a response to another where "I don't have a TV" was described as a form of virtue signalling. I'm speaking in that vein.

Aah, I only don't have a TV because i'm disorganised and haven't got one yet. I'd quite like one.

PaulJepson 24 Oct 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have free-sat and it's great. Only downside is it doesn't have 4OD, but I can get that on my laptop if I want to watch anything. It actually has a lot more channels than the basic packages a lot of providers offer (which is weird, because they're 'free' channels?).

It cost me less than £100 total (£40 for a re-conditioned HUMAX box, £50 for the aerial, fittings, & cables etc.) You can get the dish, brackets, cables etc. as a package in a few places. Took about 2 hours to set it all up (I fixed the dish to the wooden post off a for-sale sign which I fixed against my wall).  

Best part about it is that I then only have to pay for the internet and it gives you a lot more negotiating power when your supplier tries to stick your bill up. They try and muddy the waters with "we'll throw in this package/landline/channel" etc. and you can just say "all I have or want is the internet and so-and-so do it cheaper". I've paid the same for about 4 years now (<£25 a month including line rental) for fibre broadband. 

Also I don't have a smartphone....

felt 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Timmd:

You don't really need one. It's quite boring, really, telly. You're much better off reading Dickens.

Mike Stretford 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

> I don't like it either. As a phrase it almost describes itself.

I agree, though it is handy for identifying those who are spending too much time on right wing websites.

overdrawnboy 24 Oct 2019

My friend doesn't have a TV , due to cutting the aerial wire while removing Ivy from his chimney. I did warn him but would he listen!

felt 24 Oct 2019
In reply to overdrawnboy:

Maybe he had a soft spot for her?

russellcampbell 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

>  I still remember when C4 first came in. Four whole channels! 

Apologies for sounding like the 4 Yorkshiremen. I remember only having 1 channel, BBC, in black and white, which used to stop broadcasting from time to time. "Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible." The good side was "Bill and Ben", "Andy Pandy", "Rag, Tag and Bobtail" and "The Wooden Tops". I think Friday was "Picture Book" which wasn't so good.

Raskye 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Toerag:

> We still pay our TV license as I listen to BBC local radio on my way to work and read the BBC news website each morning and feel I get reasonable value for that. 

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ102

jimtitt 24 Oct 2019

> Overall, I do sometimes feel like I’m the only person in the world who still just has Council telly, as we used to say.

You mean you can still rent TV's?

wercat 24 Oct 2019

When I was living in Applecross in the 80s we were all surprised to find it was one of the only places on the mainland in that region to have Channel 4.   I think it came from Skye as did the telephone system via microwave down the coast a bit

wercat 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Raskye:

personally I think Jane Garvey on Radio 4's Woman's Hate Men Hour is worth the entire licence fee.

In reply to jimtitt:

> You mean you can still rent TV's?

I don't think so. I suspect the meaning morphed. 

I don’t have one, new  or old.

AND I don’t want one ☝️ 

gravy 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

True that

In reply to wercat:

Did you get the “none” phone in bit today ? The  token man  belittled humiliated and then cut short . A true to form classic 

> personally I think Jane Garvey on Radio 4's Woman's Hate Men Hour is worth the entire licence fee.

Tom Valentine 24 Oct 2019
In reply to russellcampbell:

I thought Monday was Picture Book!

Dax H 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

> No, the old new "I don't have a TV" is "I don't have a smartphone." The new new "I don't have a TV" is "I don't fly."

Hang on, I don't fly but it's nothing to do with one up manship or virtue signaling. It's because last time I did about 25 years ago my holiday was ruined by a 7 hour delay flying out and 8 hour delay flying back. 

russellcampbell 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I thought Monday was Picture Book!

You're probably right. I just remember not enjoying it very much.

mick taylor 24 Oct 2019
In reply to wercat:

In my Sunderland Poly days, me and my mates sent a letter of compliant to the bbc, explaining how rubbish their programmes were (particularly Question of Sport) and , if we had actually paid for a licence, we would have felt totally ripped off.  Few months later, a random knock on the door and it was the tv licence man.  He asked if we had a tv, but we were ‘relaxing’ and the theme tune to neighbours blasting out gave the game away.  We almost wet ourselves laughing. We lied and said we had just got the tv and only got hundred pound fine.  I’m fairly sure we didn’t put our address on the complaint letter, but couldn’t rule it out.

Following year, my flatmate moved next door to our other mates.  They then had two tv’s so stacked on on top of the other and could watch two programmes at once.  Still no tv licence.  We’ve all grown up since then, sort of.  Also, we never paid the original fine.

Tom Valentine 25 Oct 2019

I thought Muffin the Mule was part of it. I liked that.

( I also liked Four Feather Falls)

russellcampbell 25 Oct 2019

I thought the 5 programmes I mentioned were on Monday to Friday. I'd forgotten about Muffin the Mule.  Loved it. Remember the name Four Feather Falls but don't remember watching it and can't remember anything about it.

BruceM 25 Oct 2019

I don't have a TV.  I haven't had one for 30 years. 

I've lived in the UK for almost 20 years.  Every few months I get threatening letters from TV licensing.  Disappointingly, nobody has ever visited me like they say.  I registered no TV by return post once or twice.  But they keep resetting that status so the letters return. 

Hilarious.  I think this British pantomime is way better than any of the shows that I read about that are on real TV.  So my recommendation is: don't have a TV -- the show is much better.

Dave Garnett 25 Oct 2019

> I thought Muffin the Mule was part of it. I liked that.

> ( I also liked Four Feather Falls)

I think Muffin the Mule must have been earlier, I never saw it, though I remember all the others mentioned.  It sounds a bit American.

There was also Tales from Europe, which would be far too partisan for terrestrial TV these days.

Things started to pick up when Gerry Anderson arrived with Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray etc.  

We have a TV  and we only watch Netflix and Prime. We rarely, if ever, watch "council telly" because it is atrocious. The value of Prime and Netflix makes the tv licence seem high.

Before people respond saying there isn't much good to watch on these services, I think there is loads...as long as you do not binge watch the good stuff in one weekend, there is shed loads of great content that will last years in our house.

Making a Murderer, Breaking Bad, Mind Hunter, Black Sails, Last Kingdom, The Crown, Vikings, Ozark, Top Boy, Stranger Things, Arrested Development, House of Cards, Better Call Saul,The Man in the High Castle, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, The Americans, Money Heist, Narcos....

Plus lots of movies and documentaries. ....and no Eastenders, Simon Cowell, Holby City, Strictly, One show nonsense in sight. News channels are good though.

Blue Straggler 25 Oct 2019
In reply to BruceM:

You can have a TV AND still get those letters!

Tom Valentine 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Presented by the sister of actor John Mills and very definitely English.

Post edited at 10:11
OP The New NickB 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I actually think that the price of Netflix, Prime etc make the licence fee look like good value. Even more so if you compare it to a service that tries to cover a bit more of the breadth of services that the BBC do. Like Sky for example.

Toerag 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Raskye:

I know that, but where do you think the money comes from to pay for all the none-TV BBC stuff?

In reply to Mike Stretford:

...virtue signaling

> I agree, though it is handy for identifying those who are spending too much time on right wing websites.

Yes seems to be used by people who want to justify their callous disregard for anything other than themselves.

Post edited at 10:55
 Raskye 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Toerag:

How altruistic of you. I’d be more impressed if you donated the license fee to someone less fortunate and needy. 

wbo 25 Oct 2019

Somewhere out there are people who would claim I haven't listened to new music for 20 years.  And quite a few who haven't read a book for 20 years.  Is this really any different?

subtle 25 Oct 2019

I do roll my eyes at those who "don't have a tv" yet watch programmes on laptops/tablets

The new "I don't own a TV" though is "I dont fly" yet drive everywhere

Toccata 25 Oct 2019

The new ‘I don’t have a TV’ is ‘I don’t drink alcohol’.

I don’t drink alcohol.

In reply to wbo:

> Somewhere out there are people who would claim I haven't listened to new music for 20 years.  And quite a few who haven't read a book for 20 years.  Is this really any different?

Is what different?

ianstevens 25 Oct 2019

> I do own a TV, I even watch sometimes. However, I don’t have any subscription services. No SKY, BT, Netflix, Amazon.

> Is this the new “I don’t own a TV”?

I thought the new "I don't own a TV" was "I don't have Facebook" tbh. All whilst pointing out how it is a big bad entity (which it is) and using their other services such as WhatsApp and Instagram.

In reply to ianstevens:

Or posting on UKC forums that they don’t use any social media.

subtle 25 Oct 2019

> Or posting on UKC forums that they don’t use any social media.

Yes, quite

earlsdonwhu 25 Oct 2019

You can't beat 'Muffin the mule'!

Timmd 26 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

> I do roll my eyes at those who "don't have a tv" yet watch programmes on laptops/tablets

> The new "I don't own a TV" though is "I dont fly" yet drive everywhere

Driving is much greener than flying though?

Timmd 26 Oct 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> ...virtue signaling

> Yes seems to be used by people who want to justify their callous disregard for anything other than themselves.

Yes it does!

The only thing it may apply to is when (some) people share things on facebook, I read that people tend to be relatively unlikely to do something about whatever it is they're sharing/bringing notice to.

"I'm not on Facebook"

Babika 26 Oct 2019

I have Sky and Netflix and they're great! Watched quite a bit of the climbing world championships on Sky..

And BT Sport was handy last night for watching Leicester beat Southampton 9-0. 

But I never buy anything from Amazon. Does that make it Ok?

Timmd 26 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

Amazon are shits, so most definitely so.

Ceiriog Chris 26 Oct 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I know a bloke who got 5 yrs for doing that 

Tom Valentine 26 Oct 2019
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

He ought to have known better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...