The neuroscience of corporate away-days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 21 May 2018

Great podcast here: covers loads of ground, but my favourite bit is the brilliant take on corporate HR from 1:14:40

Any senior managers in large organisations, please listen to this: you'll learn something important.

https://soundcloud.com/youarenotsosmart/128-happy-brain

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Sounds like they may have read Daniel Pink's book "Drive", which proposes mastery, autonomy and purpose as the foundations of workplace motivation. I don't think that book proposes stopping making people do stuff they don't want to do though, which seems to be where the podcast was heading in suggesting that awaydays are bad. I don't know, I had to switch it off because his rambling delivery was bugging me too much and making me unhappy. 

Rampikino 22 May 2018
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Sorry but I got bored and switched off.  It's a long, rambling piece which, like many corporate away days, goes on a bit.

Jim 1003 23 May 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Great podcast here: covers loads of ground, but my favourite bit is the brilliant take on corporate HR from 1:14:40

> Any senior managers in large organisations, please listen to this: you'll learn something important.

30 seconds was too much of it.....

OP Jon Stewart 25 May 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

> 30 seconds was too much of it.....

Are you a senior manager in a large organisation?

wintertree 25 May 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Are you a senior manager in a large organisation?

I’m not.  One of my pet peeves recently is the insistence on videos or podcasts instead of text that I can read 3x-5x faster than people can mumble it into a microphone...

Post edited at 22:16
OP Jon Stewart 25 May 2018
In reply to wintertree:

I'm quite the opposite. I love listening to people mumbling on down a low quality phone line about their latest book while I'm cooking, driving etc, 'cause I know I'm never going to read the damn thing. I might download it to my Kindle and then read the first couple of chapters...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...