the law of sods .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Sunday evening the day before coming back to work and my computer fails in my studio.

Wonderful.   I needed a new one , but not quite this quickly. 

Luckily I have everything backed up (I hope) but I wasn't quite expecting to have to do this dance for a month or 3.

It's the law of Sods come to haunt me .

Now do I hobble along with a tide me over or do I just bite the bullet and buy something that's going to last me for some time .

I think I know the answer .  Save myself the hassle and get something decent .

And no I can't repair it .  Well could maybe but it seems a total waste of time for the effort.

Thinking either a i5 or i7 with 16 gb ram .

TWS

Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Dell all the way for me, of course it depends on what you are doing with it but 16GB just doesn't cut it anymore, need to be starting at 32 and considering 64 if you can get a good deal

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Dell all the way for me, of course it depends on what you are doing with it but 16GB just doesn't cut it anymore, need to be starting at 32 and considering 64 if you can get a good deal

I'll take a look at the 32 gig deals I can get.

I'm use to 4 GB on a 32 bit system so I'd expect it to fly with 32gb and 64 bit.

Sorted now  :-D

Dell 9010 i5 PC

32GB RAM

2TB HDD

1GB GRAPHIC CARD

WIFI

£239 queen heads

Nice , a good deal I though .

Post edited at 12:04
 JamesO!? 07 Jan 2020

We've had a few similar from Dell recently at work. Some of them have been horrendously slow on delivery. It seems the HDD was acting as a bottle neck slowing everything right down. Swapped out for an SSD and everything became lightning quick. Just posting on case you have the same problem!

In reply to JamesO!?:

> We've had a few similar from Dell recently at work. Some of them have been horrendously slow on delivery. It seems the HDD was acting as a bottle neck slowing everything right down. Swapped out for an SSD and everything became lightning quick. Just posting on case you have the same problem!

I intend to get a SSD at some point for all the program and OS information to reside on .

However I was put off by the issues of SSD's lifespan being only 2-3 years from what I've read. 

Seems a bit of a waste . 

So I intend to get this running and them migrate the core OS and programs to SSD.

Thanks for the input though.

Post edited at 15:41
 Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2020

> However I was put off by the issues of SSD's lifespan being only 2-3 years from what I've read. 

Where did you read that ??

I agree, OS on SSD, storage on normal mechanical HDD is the best way to go.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Where did you read that ??

Oh the other day somewhere when researching them.

I don't remember exactly.   I'll have another read and see if I can find it.

> I agree, OS on SSD, storage on normal mechanical HDD is the best way to go.

Bob Kemp 07 Jan 2020

I wouldn't worry too much about lifespan of SSDs, especially if you're not a heavy user. This suggests five years for even heavy users - 

https://www.ontrack.com/uk/blog/pieces-of-interest/how-long-do-ssds-really-...

- which isn't much different from suggested HDD lifespans. And I would think there's more chances of the assorted delicate bits of an HDD failing because of accident than an SSD at any time in the lifespan. 

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> I wouldn't worry too much about lifespan of SSDs, especially if you're not a heavy user. This suggests five years for even heavy users - 

> - which isn't much different from suggested HDD lifespans. And I would think there's more chances of the assorted delicate bits of an HDD failing because of accident than an SSD at any time in the lifespan. 

Yes.  I saw that,I think I misread or didn't take into account how much use it would be getting everyday.  

As I say I will pick one up soon to play with.

Bob Kemp 07 Jan 2020

I've put SSDs in both my old Macs, and I'm glad I did. There's been a noticeable increase in overall speed and the boot speed is ridiculous compared with the old HDDs.

Dark-Cloud 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Been thinking about doing this with my imac, did you buy a kit or just the SSD and do it yourself, how old was your mac, think mine is a 2014 27"

Stein 09 Jan 2020

SSD is indeed going to be a major upgrade for speed. Just pick one of the smaller ones 125GB should be enough, just to run the OS. If you do not buy one now, make sure you can attach one to your motherboard later on.

In reply to Stein:

> SSD is indeed going to be a major upgrade for speed. Just pick one of the smaller ones 125GB should be enough, just to run the OS. If you do not buy one now, make sure you can attach one to your motherboard later on.

Got one on its way to me already.

240 gb for 25 quid.

Oooooo

The new computer has arrived today so I'm told .

So after tea I have a date with a box of cables / rare earth elements/ shiny plastic and metal.

reminds me of 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u-0e4Gn2BU&safe=true

clean and efficient . 

This is turning out to be a great week so far.

TWS

Post edited at 15:54
 Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2020

> However I was put off by the issues of SSD's lifespan being only 2-3 years from what I've read. 

Not denying that have read this. Just from my limited experience, I have been relatively hammering a 2TB SSD at work for 4 years now and it's been fine. By "hammering" I mean I can put 1.5Tb onto it in a week (and then spend a few days tidying up to make space for the next massive data set)

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Not denying that have read this. Just from my limited experience, I have been relatively hammering a 2TB SSD at work for 4 years now and it's been fine. By "hammering" I mean I can put 1.5Tb onto it in a week (and then spend a few days tidying up to make space for the next massive data set)

Thanks this is encouraging to know.

Yes I think I just misunderstood what they meant by heavy usage etc 

I do a lot of audio recording and musical takes so it can be quite intensive on file size and soon eats up disk space if I don't keep on top of the situation (which I have found to my detriment before)

As mentioned above I have a SSD coming next few days for the OS and core programs .  All my audio work will be on different drives and backed up regular basis

Looking forward to the  speed up and seeing what all this SSD stuff is about.

Post edited at 15:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...