The fruits of my foraging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 23 Nov 2020

Made use of longer dog walks and a good spring and this is what I’ve made:

April: 2 gallons strong dandelion wine, will add brandy and oak chips to make sherry 

June: 4 gallons elderflower sparkley (another three nearly ready to bottle) and enough frozen juice for a few more gallons

August: blackberries and elderberries turned into 7 gallons of wine

September: bullace to make two gallons very strong wine to fortify into port. Some bullace added to other wine

September onwards: apples to make 167 bottles of cider 

September into October: quince for jelly - about six jars.  Made some quince cheese with added chilli

October: sweet chestnuts, only a pound or so, for falafel at Christmas

October to present: 9 pounds rose hips, frozen to make wine in the new year 

October: bullace vodka - 4 bottles vodka

November: haws to make fruit leather.  Batch one was ok, but got another 1.5 pounds of haws, mixed with some apples and blackberries which is drying out nicely

November: just made a load of blackberry jam with quince juice and apple juice to help set and few elderberries

November: got the stones from haws and bullace - make heat packs?

Post edited at 19:08
 Sl@te Head 23 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I've also been busy....

Rosehip wine

Elderflower Champagne 

Elderberry wine

Bramble wine

Cider

Blackberry Mead

Hazelnuts (Pesto)

Walnuts (loads!)

Chestnuts 

Samphire (Pickled)

Cockles, Muscles & Winkles

Loads of wild Brown Trout (in the freezer to be smoked)

Bilberries 

Post edited at 19:14
mick taylor 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Good stuff!  Where are the trout from?

Sl@te Head 23 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Snowdonia lakes and Anglesey streams.

mick taylor 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Smoked trout is always delish, even better when it’s caught local in very clean water.  A chef friend once made a trout terrine, mainly rainbows, but the variations in flesh colour made it look fantastic. 

Sl@te Head 23 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

With this being a climbing forum, it's worth mentioning that some of the trout I caught this summer from Llyn Bochlwyd (Tryfan) were caught using a climbing rope.....

mick taylor 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

You can’t leave us in suspense.....

Sl@te Head 23 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Ha, at the beginning of the first lockdown I started tying my own flies for fly fishing. I made a few from recycled fibres from an old climbing rope and managed to catch quite a few trout on them

mick taylor 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

That’s cool. My chef friend I mentioned made a fly out of his own hair. 
On a fly fishing note, my dads godparent gave him a cool fishing rod that I’ve tried finding more info on, but failed.  We know it as a ‘Poachers Stick’.  It looks like a cane walking stick. The handle unscrews and our pops a 3 piece split cane fly rod. The handle is separate. The ferrule on the end of the stick is threaded for a landing net. Great thing. I also have all of my grandfathers char fishing tackle, very interesting. He used to make the spinners from silver and brass and copper. I was saw a photo where him and his mate caught tonnes, talking well over a hundred, from a Lake District lake that no one was had fished. 

Alyson30 23 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

In just one week of September, Scottish highlands:

Chanterelles (loads and loads of them), porcini, cauliflower fungus, hedgehog fungus. 

(And no, I’m not giving away my spots )

Rowan berries - yielded 5kg+ of Rowan jelly.

Post edited at 23:31
 aln 24 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

As I said before, not as much as you, but more than ever before.

Dandelion wine, bit meh, bit sweet, already drunk it. 

Nettles and ramsons. Nettle tea, yuk, nettle wine fermented out really fast, tasted like an ale, drank half, didn't like it much, binned it. Nettle soup yum, ramsons soup yum, both together in a soup, excellent!

Elderflower wine, went off, binned. Elderflower cordial was delicious, I have 1l frozen to drink in winter as a memory of summer. Also have 1l of infused 'juice' frozen for future use.

As for wine that's still fermenting I have 1 gallon of bird cherry, 1 raspberry, 1 blackcurrant, 2 bramble, one gooseberry and grape and one crab apple.

Also did a wild elderflower champagne ferment, and a crab apple. 

Cooked and ate hogweed buds, yum. Discovered that hogweed seeds are really tasty, munch them alone and with foraged fruits, and dried they're great in a Parkin. 

Elderberry cordial is great, elderberry vinegar is amazing! Good salad dressing, I also like it drizzled over ice cream and hogweed parkin. I also made Pontack sauce, excellent with meat.

Found lots of tansy growing nearby, really bitter but mellows with cooking and it's good with eggs. 

Rosehips make a good base for harissa, and my raw syrup is still infusing. 

Put brambles in lots of things, even a pasta sauce, and blackberry varenye was a revelation, so tasty and so easy to make. 

On the downside, I tried acorn coffee, which tasted like brown water... 

That's it so far, but I might've forgotten something. I've discovered so much about wild food this year, one benefit of lockdown.

I forgot the crab apple chutney, 2l of frozen crab apple juice, and I have 2.2kg of wild apples in the fridge. 

Post edited at 16:18
mick taylor 24 Nov 2020
In reply to aln:

Good stuff.
I will be bottling the crabapple wine/cider/booze tonight. So far, it’s looking good. Thought the boiled hot water had killed the yeast, but it hadn’t  

Himalayan Balsam seeds, very fiddly, very tasty!

aln 29 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I've heard himalayan balsam is tasty. What do you do with it?

I heard a Berry port idea which is supposed to be good. Make a sloe gin then after straining, add the sloes to a bottle of red wine, then add some sugar. Shake for a few weeks and voila! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...