The ERG

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Now they've pulled us from the Union, I assume they're still hard at work, renegotiating and compromising to guarantee a pain free transition?

Harry Jarvis 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

No, they've given up on all that Europe nonsense. They're now becoming experts on Covid and have formed the Covid Research Group. Believe it or not, they're keen on reopening everything, regardless of the human cost. Splendid fellows. Lead CRG idiot Baker is apparently unhappy with Johnson's handling of the pandemic and is threatening a leadership challenge. 

jkarran 15 Jan 2021

They appear to be moving against Johnson having turned their sights on dry-fu*king the NHS and bumping JCB shares, all those graves aren't going to dig themselves.

I can see the appeal of a new crusade. A bit of distance between them and brexit right now as the noose tightens on our supply lines is probably looking like a good idea. they'll let closet remainer and part time PM Bungle take the blame for not implementing the one true glorious version of brexit.

jk

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Steve Baker, the evangelical Christian, climate change denier and opposer of same sex marriage? Surely he doesn't have an opinion on Coronavirus as well!

MG 15 Jan 2021

Jacob Rees-Mogg claimed yesterday, in parliament, that fish are happier being British .

They will will probably be trying to find another target they can exploit for the benefit of their hedge funds.

GrahamD 15 Jan 2021
In reply to MG:

> Jacob Rees-Mogg claimed yesterday, in parliament, that fish are happier being British .

With their smart blue passports, of course they're happier (and superior).

Jim Lancs 15 Jan 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

> With their smart blue passports, of course they're happier (and superior).

The fact they're confined to a box in some UK coastal town, brain dead and beginning to smell despite being freezing cold, just makes them like the rest of us.

Bob Kemp 15 Jan 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

They’re the Maoist wing of the Conservative Party. Their doctrine is one of continuous revolution intended to bring about cultural change in the U.K. Hence they weren’t really concerned about the economic effects of Brexit. And there will always be another cause to hang their efforts on. 

Cú Chullain 15 Jan 2021

Thought this was a thread about rowing?

George Ormerod 15 Jan 2021
In reply to jkarran:

His leadership challenge seems to have lasted 90 minutes, right up to a grovelling sycophantic tweet about Johnson’s leadership. With that sort weakness he’d be a prime candidate for the next Tory leader. 

Yanis Nayu 15 Jan 2021

I think they’ve morphed into the Covid Research Group now, to be utter cnuts over that. 

Yanis Nayu 15 Jan 2021

Ah, you beat me to it. 

Bacon Butty 15 Jan 2021
In reply to MG:

> Jacob Rees-Mogg claimed yesterday, in parliament, that fish are happier being British .

They probably are with half the fishing fleet tied up in port!

wintertree 15 Jan 2021

> They're now becoming experts on Covid and have formed the Covid Research Group. Believe it or not, they're keen on reopening everything, regardless of the human cost. 

One of the many tentacles of the monster lurking behind back bench influence on Covid policy.

I would very much like an hour in a room with the CRG.  Well, actually I wouldn't any more than I used to like cleaning blockages out of dad's old septic tank, but like that cursed job I think it would be time well spent.

Jon Stewart 15 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> I would very much like an hour in a room with the CRG

I've got mates who make dog food and glue who could help you out immediately afterwards.

Tringa 15 Jan 2021
In reply to George Ormerod:

> His leadership challenge seems to have lasted 90 minutes, right up to a grovelling sycophantic tweet about Johnson’s leadership. With that sort weakness he’d be a prime candidate for the next Tory leader. 

Yes. I don't think this will go that far now after Baker's "Isn't Boris wonderful" statement, but it is not beyond belief, if the challenge did start to look credible, that Boris would change his view on restrictions to fit in with his personal prime directive of "What is best for me".

Dave

freeflyer 16 Jan 2021

One of the problems we've had with the orange tw*t is that we have tended to think that all ultra-right stuff goes on over the ocean.

The monsters are among us. In a similar way to Trump, they would be absolutely unaware that a wintertree lecture was even happening, because to them, it simply doesn't matter. If it appeared that their cause was suffering, they would simply look for more lies that would redress the balance.

It's not as simple as correcting their arithmetic. The main issues to address are the UK sovereignty one, followed by the "we are great, Queen Victoria still rules" one, the "financial industry underpins our economy" one, and the "we are descended from the Vikings and can make our own rules" one. It's a nightmare of nightmarish proportions.

The best thing that can happen, in my view, is this. We are like "feck off, the EU". The EU are like, "No. YOU feck off", and screw us into the ground with the worst agreements they can dream up, plus a dollop of bureaucratic foulups and Dutch intransigence with the ham sandwiches, etc. Then we put all the ERG types in a field ...

That did feel good. /rant

Mark Kemball 16 Jan 2021

The erg - the force needed to give a mass of 1 gram an acceleration of 1 cm per second per second...

In reply to Mark Kemball:

That's a dyne.

An erg is a unit of energy, not force.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erg

Nearly, Erg is a unit of energy not force. Although it's not really an SI unit, it's based on centimeters and grams so I can't see the ERG supporting it. 

Post edited at 10:15
 JLS 16 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

>”I would very much like an hour in a room with the CRG.”

I hope you get over your Covid infection soon but cough on a few for me.

Post edited at 10:07
 Mark Kemball 16 Jan 2021
In reply to richard_hopkins:

Whoops - it's been so long since I used ergs and dynes!

> so I can't see the ERG supporting it. 

Good point. The calorie is French, too. British Thermal Unit, then...?

Post edited at 10:13
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > so I can't see the ERG supporting it. 

> Good point. The calorie is French, too. British Thermal Unit, then...?

A good suggestion. Or they could stick with Joule, he was British after all, but his legacy seems to have been stolen by the French. They can't have their cake and eat it apparently.

On units, a shed is 10^-10 of a barn. 

Doug 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

how does that relate to other traditional units such as cricket pitches or Wales ?

AllanMac 16 Jan 2021

As a prominent member of the Bullshit Research Group, I can say with some certainty that Research Groups are groups of bullshitters with no research.

fred99 16 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> > They're now becoming experts on Covid and have formed the Covid Research Group. Believe it or not, they're keen on reopening everything, regardless of the human cost. 

> One of the many tentacles of the monster lurking behind back bench influence on Covid policy.

> I would very much like an hour in a room with the CRG.  Well, actually I wouldn't any more than I used to like cleaning blockages out of dad's old septic tank, but like that cursed job I think it would be time well spent.

Is your dad's old septic tank available to put them in ? Preferably not cleaned out ...

wintertree 16 Jan 2021
In reply to fred99:

I like to think he would have had a much better solution.

George Ormerod 16 Jan 2021

Erg. What you exclaim when you stand in dog poo. 

The ERG - Economically Rogering Great britain since 1993

>  Or they could stick with Joule, he was British after all

I was thinking about that. What we should do is take back control of units named after Britons. So we should redefine the definition of the joule, watt, newton, etc.

We could go back to inches, feet and yards, but they're Italian really. As are pounds, shillings and pence .. What did the Romans ever do for us?

In reply to wintertree:

> I like to think he would have had a much better solution.

A septic tank is a suspension, rather than a solution...

Ridge 16 Jan 2021
In reply to freeflyer:

> Then we put all the ERG types in a field ...

I was thinking more mass grave type of thing, them being dead when they went in purely optional.

Exceptionally Rich Gits...?

In reply to Ridge:

Funnily enough, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is starting an entire re-run on 4Music tonight... I think you'd probably need the likes of her to finish off Rees Mogg and his blood-sucking ilk...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...