The Coylumbridge hotel Aviemore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Mar 2020

Have just paid off all their staff and told them to leave their accommodation.

I'll certainly never darken their door again.

https://twitter.com/ScaryHighlander/status/1240700402783244288?s=09

TobyA 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Well they win the "miserable bastards of the week" award don't they? Geez, its not really in the spirit of the moment is it?!

marsbar 19 Mar 2020

It's a chain of hotels.  It includes the Adelphi which as I remember after a terrorist incident charged people £45 to sleep on the floor of their dining room and massively over charged on the rooms it had available.  

I will happily boycott them all in future.  

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/heroes-aintree-bomb-sca...

Post edited at 20:47
 marsbar 19 Mar 2020

List of hotels

Scotland

- Waterside Hotel, Peterhead

- Coylumbridge Aviemore Hotel, Aviemore

- Britannia Aberdeen Hotel, Aberdeen

- Britannia Edinburgh Hotel, Edinburgh

- Adamton Country House, Prestwick

North East

- Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airport, Newcastle

- Grand Hotel Gosforth Park, Newcastle

- Grand Hotel, Sunderland

- Clifton Hotel Scarborough, Scarborough

- Royal Hotel, Scarborough

- Grand Hotel, Scarborough

- Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport Hotel, Leeds

- Hollins Hall Hotel, Golf and Country Club, Leeds

- Britannia Hotel, Leeds

- Royal Hotel, Hull

North West

- Savoy Hotel, Blackpool

- Grand Hotel, Blackpool

- Metropole Hotel, Blackpool

- Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool

- Scarisbrick Hotel, Southport

- Prince of Wales Hotel, Southport

- Britannia Wigan Hotel, Wigan

- Britannia Bolton Hotel, Bolton

- Sanchas Hotel, Manchester

- Britannia Hotel, Manchester

- Britannia Country House Hotel, Manchester

- Britannia Airport Hotel, Manchester

- Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool

- Britannia Hotel, Stockport

- The Ashley Hotel, Manchester

- Airport Inn Manchester Hotel and Spa, Manchester

- Daresbury Park Hotel and Spa, Warrington

Wales

- Grand Hotel, Llandudno

East Midlands

- Palace Hotel, Buxton

- Britannia Nottingham Hotel, Nottingham

- Bosworth Hall Hotel and Spa, Market Bosworth

East

- Sprowston Manor Hotel, Golf and Country Club, Norwich

West Midlands

- North Stafford Hotel, Stoke on Trent

- Britannia Hotel, Wolverhampton

- Britannia Hotel, Birmingham

- Royal Court Hotel, Coventry

- Britannia Coventry Hill Hotel, Coventry

- Britannia Hotel, Coventry

- Bromsgrove Hotel and Spa, Birmingham

London

- Britannia Hampstead Hotel, Hampstead

- International Hotel, Isle of Dogs

South East

- Basingstoke Country Hotel, Basingstoke

- Airport Inn, Gatwick

- Russ Hill Hotel, Gatwick

- Europa Hotel, Gatwick

- Gatwick Lodge, Gatwick

- Grand Burstin Hotel, Folkestone

- Meon Valley Hotel, Golf and Country Club, Southampton

- Royal Albion Hotel, Brighton

- The Cavendish Hotel, Eastbourne

South West

- Carrington House Hotel, Bournemouth

- Roundhouse Hotel, Bournemouth

- Britannia Hotel, Bournemouth

- Heathlands Hotel, Bournemouth

- Royal Bath Hotel, Bournemouth

- Trecarn Hotel, Torquay

wercat 19 Mar 2020

this deserves a much much wider circulation among any people who might think of  using that shabby bastard place again.  Is there a trade union who can be told?

rj_townsend 19 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I've used their Bosworth Hall one - it's a shitpit and I'll happily avoid their others.

Phil1919 19 Mar 2020

I'll stick to the bothies.

Removed User 19 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

I got this off Twitter and suggested there that skiers should post this on equivalent forums. I see a few journos have also picked it up so I'd imagine they'll be getting s bit of free publicity tomorrow. Now that Marsbar (thanks Marsbar) has listed all their hotels I guess they should become as widely known as possible.

Arseholes.

Rob Exile Ward 19 Mar 2020
In reply to rj_townsend:

Everyone should spend at least one night at the Liverpool Adelphi. It's living history.

MG 19 Mar 2020

What a bunch of shits. It's the opening phrase blaming the government that takes the biscuit. 

Blue Straggler 19 Mar 2020

Thanks for highlighting this. They are not the first to find a way to financially exploit the situation, and they won’t be the last. I’ve circulated the article and the Marsbar’s list of hotels 

marsbar 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I saw the TV show where the incident I mentioned happened on reality TV.   It's a fascinating building but the owners aren't getting a penny off me.   

mondite 19 Mar 2020

Thats the chain who has achieved the impressive record of being the worse hotel chain 7 years in a row. I assume this is a bid to keep on track for double figures. Think there is a good reason they went into the asylum business to keep the profits rolling.

In reply to marsbar:

> It's a chain of hotels.

Has had Hilton branding for the last few years, although less prominent this year.

https://goo.gl/maps/RoFSU63V3zDrJbfc7

Post edited at 23:07
 Neil Williams 19 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Ah, the Adelphi...yeah, they were even arrogant enough to do that live on TV.

An awful hotel, never, ever stay there.

Neil Williams 19 Mar 2020

"Taking the latest Government advice"?

I think they mean "ignoring the latest Government advice", which specifically says "don't sack your staff, we'll be along to help you as soon as we can".

Crikey.

marsbar 19 Mar 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

Sold by Hilton to Britannia according to the Twitter thread. I assume that is correct?  

In reply to marsbar:

Still had Hilton branding two weeks ago. Doesn't mean it hasn't been sold, though...

Post edited at 23:46
 brianjcooper 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

> "Taking the latest Government advice"?

> I think they mean "ignoring the latest Government advice", which specifically says "don't sack your staff, we'll be along to help you as soon as we can".

> Crikey.

I bet they still try to claim a grant/loan from the Government.

Is that the one which calls itself the Hilton, or the old-fashioned one which does the food for the railway excursions?

jcm

kevin stephens 20 Mar 2020

This has just been featured on Radio 4 news

galpinos 20 Mar 2020

It's on the Britannia website as theirs and they describe it as the former Hilton hotel.

https://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/coylumbridge-hotel-aviemore

Panic not, we are about to lynch the right people (but always good to check.....).

Michael Hood 20 Mar 2020
In reply to galpinos:

Let us hope that this hotel chain discovers the true power of social media.

I think we're going to see two types of action from companies. The Britannia path is one - "we're losing money, quick, cut costs, get rid of expenditure i.e. people."

The other way is exampled by what Neville and Giggs are doing with their hotels.

Rigid Raider 20 Mar 2020

This is just a consequence of the over-supply of tired, worn out, poxy dirty old hotels managed by amateurs in Britain's woefully bad hotel business. If you want to see a microcosm of the problem take a drive around Blackpool or choose any seaside town hotel at random and look at some Tripadvisor reports. Old places like those are a nightmare to run and British people do not have the service mentality so the best thing would be for all of them to be converted into apartments or knocked down and redeveloped. We have a stupid, sentimental over-attachment to these dirty old buildings that offer 20th century standards of heating, soundproofing and comfort when the wealthy chains have moved into the 21st century. Another sure sign of a bad experience is Best Western, to be avoided at all costs as they buy up failing places then fit a new carpet in the foyer and employ amateurs.

We are going up to Scotland for meetings every month at the moment and on a couple of visits our preferred B&B has been closed so for future reference (as we will be living in the area soon) we've tried the Crieff Hydro and the Dunblane Hydro. Both would fit into my description above as places in dire need of a major refurb or complete redevelopment.

Post edited at 08:14
 gethin_allen 20 Mar 2020

Every time I've stayed in a Britannia hotel has been a total shambles. Crappy run down places with crap inflexible policies. 

This doesn't seem in any way out of character with the rest of the chain. 

Alan Breck 20 Mar 2020

Even if the whole of this forum boycott this property (anyone ever been there?) will it make the slightest difference to the hotel chain? Regrettably probably not which is a great shame. Did hear somewhere that MacDonald resorts were offering accommodation to the ex staff. If so that's good news and hopefully more business for them from like minded people on here.

wercat 20 Mar 2020
In reply to gethin_allen:

there is a case for the Government to threaten to de-register their brand as being harmful to our national image.

Not to mention the health threat to the employees and the public by rendering workers homeles at zero notice

wercat 20 Mar 2020
In reply to gethin_allen:

I've attended electronics events regularly at the Norbreck Castle in Blackpool and every time I thank my lucky stars I'm not one of the inmates.

This is good to know.  Terrible behaviour by a terrible hotel chain.  Hopefully they get bankrupted and taken over by a decent hotelier who knows how to treat its staff and customers well.

I have written a strongly worded email to them, which I fully expect will be instantly deleted.

Luke90 20 Mar 2020
In reply to Alan Breck:

> Even if the whole of this forum boycott this property (anyone ever been there?) will it make the slightest difference to the hotel chain? 

Probably not. But the story has made its way to Radio 4 this morning. They interviewed the Spanish fella. So hopefully it will make it to other national media as well. Partly so that more people can judge and boycott this hotel chain and even more so that other companies might consider the potential impact on their image and treat their employees as well as possible under the difficult circumstances.

In reply to Luke90:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-powell-06503029/

I cant message him as I dont have premium but direct contact with this fine upstanding individual might make them realise the fab publicity that they are getting.

Removed User 20 Mar 2020

Macdonald hotels in Aviemore has offered emergency accommodation to the sacked workers.

https://twitter.com/ScaryHighlander/status/1240751497203396608?s=09

Removed User 20 Mar 2020

Macdonald hotels in Aviemore has offered emergency accommodation to the sacked workers.

https://twitter.com/ScaryHighlander/status/1240751497203396608?s=09

It is spineless, cowardly management to pin the blame on someone else for an unpopular decision: the letter says "Following the latest  government advice.... your services are no longer requires". That is misrepresenting it on a huge scale. They have not got the balls to admit that they cannot think of a way to continue to employ staff in challenging times. It says a worrying precedent for the staff who remain employed there. Of course these people become ripe to be headhunted by other hotels in the area. 

I suspect staff would (have been, but not now, after this) be willing to keep a job there in different circumstances e.g. a reduced salary with reduced hours and amended roles may be preferable to immediate cessation.

I stayed in this gaff last week, there are many places where it needs redecorating, recarpeting, a thorough overhaul. Some of this is tech work that should not go to staff (e.g. electrical work), but a lot of this could be managed by a hands on approach e.g. decorating etc. Alternatively, diversify the skill set by retraining staff in different roles so that they can cover eachother's jobs if people get sick etc.

If reducing staff truly is the only option, it would have been very easy to let people stay on for a period in the staff accommodation until they are sorted.

This place is conveniently located for adventures in the vertical and I have stayed there three times this season. I won't stay there again and will strongly discourage anyone I know from staying there.

Post edited at 10:19
 Tringa 20 Mar 2020
In reply to brianjcooper:

If they do claim let's hope the Government tell them what they can do with it.

Dave

Tringa 20 Mar 2020

Even if the hotel chain thought they had no option but to sack staff, which is very odd given the government said they would help and asked companies not to sack their staff, that letter and the background about how it was issued should be widely circulated and used by decent businesses as an example of the way news like that should never be given.

It was appalling and I hope the hotel chain suffer for it.

Dave

stevieb 20 Mar 2020

> Macdonald hotels in Aviemore has offered emergency accommodation to the sacked workers.

Hopefully everyone remembers this. As far as I know, MacDonald are in a fairly similar market to the Scottish Britannia hotels. 

Government needs to keep a 'c*nt list' of businesses acting like this and refer to it when they ask for a bailout.

"I'm sorry sir, you aren't eligible for our support because you are a c*nt"

Bacon Butty 20 Mar 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

The world of hotel workers need to remember this event. When it fully re-opens and they need to re-staff, if there's a near 100% boycott - Goodbye hotel 😆😆😆

In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

> The world of hotel workers need to remember this event. When it fully re-opens and they need to re-staff, if there's a near 100% boycott - Goodbye hotel 😆😆😆

From the name on the letter I'm guessing their employees are mainly EU citizens and they're thinking they can do whatever they like to them.

In reply to galpinos:

> It's on the Britannia website as theirs and they describe it as the former Hilton hotel.

Yes, it's Britannia.

I wonder if Hilton know their branding is still on the entrance. If they do, I'm betting it won't be much longer...

[edit: I've emailed Hilton's media office...]

Post edited at 13:16
 Neil Williams 20 Mar 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Another sure sign of a bad experience is Best Western, to be avoided at all costs as they buy up failing places then fit a new carpet in the foyer and employ amateurs.

Yep, I'm going with that.

The "Quality Hotel" and "Comfort Hotel" are also part of them, I think, and fit my old adage of "if you have to state that in the name then it clearly isn't".

Neil Williams 20 Mar 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> Even if the hotel chain thought they had no option but to sack staff, which is very odd given the government said they would help and asked companies not to sack their staff, that letter and the background about how it was issued should be widely circulated and used by decent businesses as an example of the way news like that should never be given.

> It was appalling and I hope the hotel chain suffer for it.

Agreed.  Even if they had to sack them, they could and should have let them stay in the otherwise unused rooms.

JohnnyW 20 Mar 2020

It was on BBC Scotland news this lunch. You should have seen the attitude of the young manager sent to chase both the staff and the reporters away. I suspect he was the whipping boy who drew the short straw to do it, but for heaven's sake, be a little more compassionate eh!?

Hasn't t government just banned tenancy evictions for 3months? These staff will have had a salary reduction for their accommodation effectively making them tenants? Would be interesting to see if they could be challenged in this way? Agreed it wouldn't keep them their job but it would be funny if they got a job elsewhere but could stay in their existing accommodation!

The New NickB 20 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

The Britannia Manchester has always had the reputation of being the worst of the big hotels in the city, Sashas is one of the worst hotels of any description anywhere. No hardship avoiding the chain, I’ve managed to do so for 45 years. However, I do feel sorry for the staff. 

Holy crap..... the couldn't have misjudged the timing any worse, given the government's announcements today.

Nailing one's own coffin closed!

In reply to Moomin.williams:

I think the edict against issuing possession proceedings may be confined to England and Wales. But nothing’s stopping Scotland following suit.

Their tenancies will be service tenancies which fall with the job, but as far as I know the hotel would still need a possession order.

jcm

Ridge 20 Mar 2020
In reply to rj_townsend:

> I've used their Bosworth Hall one - it's a shitpit and I'll happily avoid their others.

I'll raise you the Britannia at Newcastle airport <shudders>

LastBoyScout 21 Mar 2020

Seems they are now claiming the letter was sent as a result of an "admin error"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51972372

Post edited at 00:49
 Blue Straggler 21 Mar 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

But they are not saying what the admin error WAS, or what is being communicated to the employees being “contacted”. Nor why it has taken 24 hours to get a response sorted. I’d have been on this at midnight last night 

Post edited at 00:55
 marsbar 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Alan Breck:

It's not just this forum I'm pleased to say it's all over Facebook now and spreading.  The only way to get through to heartless bastards is to hit them where they actually feel pain, in their bank account.  

It's not just people staying.  Quite a few of these dire hotels make money from conference bookings and other events.  It won't change the attitude of these owners but you can bet that any sensible hotel managers elsewhere are watching the backlash and making sure their hotels are seen to treat their staff better.  

marsbar 21 Mar 2020

Admin error my arse. 

Liars as well as heartless.   

marsbar 21 Mar 2020
In reply to stevieb:

I will remember.  

Andy Hardy 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> I'll raise you the Britannia at Newcastle airport

In 2007 the Stockport Britannia was apparently "the UK's dirtiest" according to the MEN. 10 years later it was the scene of a tragedy when a woman was shot, in the vagina, apparently when a "sex game went wrong".

LastBoyScout 21 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> Admin error my arse. 

> Liars as well as heartless.   

That's why I put it in quotes! 

The fact it was even written tells us all we need to know... 

Post edited at 09:11
 marsbar 21 Mar 2020

I can't understand how they think anyone would actually believe that.  It's up there with "the cheque is in the post" and "my wife doesn't understand me".  

Post edited at 11:05
 mondite 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> But they are not saying what the admin error WAS

Putting it in writing?

wercat 21 Mar 2020
In reply to mondite:

yes, I thought "Getting caught".

In reply to mondite:

Not adding a clause "do not discuss this with anyone else, especially the press"

Neil Williams 21 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

> yes, I thought "Getting caught".

Yeah, quite.

Just adds yet more reasons why you should never, ever stay in a Britannia Hotel.

marsbar 21 Mar 2020

Hardly enforceable.  You have to pay people for that kind of thing.  

In reply to marsbar:

> Hardly enforceable.

That's not the point...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...