The clap is back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 07 Jan 2021

Who will be out on their doorsteps doing the clapping thing this time around? Anyone?

the whole thing feels so, er, British...and not in a good way imo 😳

nikoid 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

Not me, but I will donate to NHS charities.

gethin_allen 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

People I know working in the NHS aren't impressed and would rather people just treat them better when they do end up needing the service. 

nikoid 07 Jan 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

> People I know working in the NHS aren't impressed and would rather people just treat them better when they do end up needing the service. 

And stick to the rules.

deepsoup 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I wonder if Matt Hancock will have another go at pretending to be moved to tears while he's at it.

Post edited at 07:05
 TomD89 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I found it vaguely creepy despite the good intentions. In modern parlance I guess I'm an anti-clapper.

People should focus on quietly doing good on a individual basis rather than this weird public show that achieves very little.

In reply to Kimono:

It was well supported in my area. Not sure the heroes bit is the right emphasis just now. From personal experience there are many people who really are going the extra mile and not just in hospitals and care homes. If it raises moral, why not?

Some very good footage on the BBC 6 o'clock news last night from UCH ICU. It's hell for the staff and it's getting worst. Full respect to them.

cwarby 07 Jan 2021

> People I know working in the NHS aren't impressed and would rather people just treat them better when they do end up needing the service. 

And they'd rather have managers do likewise. The "manage up, bully down"  culture is tiresome.

kaiser 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

The weather doesn't look conducive today...

Might pop my head out in May if it's still going then

mondite 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I think it is a great idea.

Just to confirm we are cutting the payments to serco and deloitte etc and just clapping them instead right?

Graeme G 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

There was me thinking you’d been breaking social distancing rules and were looking for medical advice!

ianstevens 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

> Who will be out on their doorsteps doing the clapping thing this time around? Anyone?

> the whole thing feels so, er, British...and not in a good way imo 😳

Peak British. A big showy action that does absolutely nothing useful.

In reply to TomD89:

> I found it vaguely creepy despite the good intentions. In modern parlance I guess I'm an anti-clapper.

> People should focus on quietly doing good on a individual basis rather than this weird public show that achieves very little.

I started clapping but quickly stopped when I realised the empty rhetoric of it. Whils I can't provide stats I wonder how many who clapped, fecked off up Mt Snowden, furlough sunned on a packed beach or said it was ok to invite auntie Janice around for new year drinks. 

My mates wife, a lead AnE consultant couldn't give a monkey's. 'Just wear a f*cking mask and stay away from people' is all she wants.

Market_Chaos_Monday 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

> Who will be out on their doorsteps doing the clapping thing this time around? Anyone?

> the whole thing feels so, er, British...and not in a good way imo 😳

Can we just beat up the Covid deniers instead ?

WaterMonkey 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I'd rather people just followed the guidance to be honest, that would help the NHS more.

I do fear some people treating the clap as an excuse to get together with their neighbours.

Post edited at 10:12
 yorkshire_lad2 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

Does nothing for the intended target audience (previously NHS, now Heroes), as witnessed by other comments attribtued to NHS staff on this thread, but just draws attention to the people that like to draw attention to themselves (but then that's the ethos of social meeja IMHO, but I'm a grumpy old git).  And if we're clapping, why not clap for all the unsung heroes who quietly got on with their job right through without making a fuss and without drawing attention to themselves for doing so and just reliably and quietly got on with their jobs (e.g. faithful posties, newspaper delivery people, the courriers who fed out insatiable desire for online shopping deliveries)

Rob Exile Ward 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I shan't be participating. It's a pathetic attempt to cover up the govt's incompetence with an appeal to some nostalgic illusion of community spirit, (something they would be doing their best to weaken in normal circumstances), it's patronising and just downright embarrassing. 

baron 07 Jan 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> I'd rather people just followed the guidance to be honest, that would help the NHS more.

> I do fear some people treating the clap as an excuse to get together with their neighbours.

You are totally correct about just following the guidance.

And about some using it as an excuse for a get together.

However, in my street there are 5 very elderly people who live alone and have been effectively shielding since March. The NHS clap gave them an excuse to stand on their doorsteps and for their neighbours to shout things to them. Nice things obviously. It’s the closest to company that some have had for months.

gethin_allen 07 Jan 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> I'd rather people just followed the guidance to be honest, that would help the NHS more.

> I do fear some people treating the clap as an excuse to get together with their neighbours.

This certainly was the case in lockdown 1 where I used to live, all the fat old gits down the road that would be the ideal ITU candidates were sitting outside drinking and chatting while maintaining that they were observing social distancing because there was a small garden wall between them when in reality they were closer to each other than they would be if they were sat either side of a pub table.

In reply to baron:

> However, in my street there are 5 very elderly people who live alone and have been effectively shielding since March. The NHS clap gave them an excuse to stand on their doorsteps and for their neighbours to shout things to them. Nice things obviously. It’s the closest to company that some have had for months.

which is fair enough. I, on the other hand, will spare a thoughtful moment without the need for public shows of fake community spirit, community spirit best shown by keeping away from people and wearing a mask.

Edit: and also having the vaccine.

Post edited at 11:20
OP Kimono 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

ha! I thought the same when I saw this headline on the bbc!

OP Kimono 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Exactly! The government has done an excellent job of convincing people that other people are the problem rather than their appalling governance

Badgers 07 Jan 2021

Tbh, having spent most of this week working on covid ICU and now the rest of this week/weekend managing acute medical admissions, and looking at doing the same for the coming few months I'd rather people just hung out at home and wore a mask if they absolutely have to go out. 

I found the clapping quite touching 1st time. But, we're maxed out, the care we can give is well below that which anyone should expect and lots of people are dying horrible deaths, alone. The average patient on the ICU I worked yesterday was probably mid 50s. Multiple patients in 30s and 40s. It's grim and getting worse. 

baron 07 Jan 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> which is fair enough. I, on the other hand, will spare a thoughtful moment without the need for public shows of fake community spirit, community spirit best shown by keeping away from people and wearing a mask.

> Edit: and also having the vaccine.

The NHS clap isn’t my preferred way of displaying support for those putting themselves at risk in order to keep society functioning.

However, it did allow for some contact with those who were and are still are too scared to venture beyond their doorsteps. I saw it as a true reflection of community spirit although I understand that for some it was no such thing.

Post edited at 12:14
 Denning76 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

That is an unfortunate title.

Run_Ross_Run 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

Will avoid the 'circus' like i did last time.

I will clap in my house (and this time may a charitable donation) but refuse to be part of the farce it turned out to be 1st time around. 

David Alcock 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

Two minute love, as some posters will recall. 

The Lemming 08 Jan 2021
In reply to baron:

> However, in my street there are 5 very elderly people who live alone and have been effectively shielding since March. The NHS clap gave them an excuse to stand on their doorsteps and for their neighbours to shout things to them. Nice things obviously. It’s the closest to company that some have had for months.

If the clapping starts again, I'd like it if the process was a morale boost for the community in general. This may be the only opportunity for many to physically see another human in weeks.

At first I was honored that people appreciated all Key Workers but by the last few weeks I just wanted to hide away from my neighbors. It reminded me of the things I witnessed.

Please show appreciation to your fellow neighbors. This small gesture could help more than you will ever know to somebody living a door or two away.

minimike 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I’d have thought the clap was one of the few things this pathetic excuse for a lockdown would actually prevent. Unless it’s also mutated to the point it’s transmissible from 2 meters?! In which case we’re all screwed ;-p

In reply to Kimono:

I won't be clapping.

How about folks just wear a mask when I'm stood on your doorstep, delivering your shopping.
Currently about10% do.
I'd like that figure to be a lot higher than that.

Glyno 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

Clapping is sooo 2010. Kitchen utensils, pots and pans are where we're at

mick taylor 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Glyno:

Kitchen utensils are sooo 2020. This was me last night....

Richard Horn 08 Jan 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

> If the clapping starts again, I'd like it if the process was a morale boost for the community in general.

If people want to improve community morale then I would suggest stopping the constant internet sneering, finger pointing, blaming etc would be a good place to start...

Duncan Bourne 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

First time around felt like we were supporting the NHS. this time round it just feels hollow, like we are covering up for blunders made

robhorton 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

I have mixed feelings about it - on a local level it was a bit of fun and nice to have some contact with people other than via zoom, but I'm less sure about the wider significance. We did go out last night but there were only 3 of us on our street so I suspect that'll be the end of it. Maybe that's for the best.

Jenny C 08 Jan 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

As you say it provides a morale boost and chance to see neighbors, which in winter probably isn't happening over garden fences.

PaulJepson 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Kimono:

We've told our immigrant health workers we don't want them in our country and we've chronically underfunded our health service for a decade in favour of big business. I don't have the cojones to stand on my doorstep and clap for them. 

OP Kimono 08 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

my alternative suggestion is for anyone who voted tory to go out on their step at the appointed time and just hang their heads in shame....lets see if this catches on

Trangia 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I shan't be participating. It's a pathetic attempt to cover up the govt's incompetence with an appeal to some nostalgic illusion of community spirit, (something they would be doing their best to weaken in normal circumstances), it's patronising and just downright embarrassing. 

Well said

Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> First time around felt like we were supporting the NHS. this time round it just feels hollow, like we are covering up for blunders made

I agree, it's not the appropriate gesture. We should be apologising to the NHS, not applauding them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...