The Christmas book thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 25 Dec 2020

What delights did the father of Christmas bring you then?

I usually get one or two good ones but my sister has knocked it out of the park this year - ‘Dog friendly pub walks in the Peak district’

Just need the pubs to open up again and we’re off! 

All the best everyone 👍😁

Gone for good 25 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

My sister got me 'A search for the apex of America. High mountain climbing in Peru and Bolivia' by Annie S Perk. Its published by Forgotten Books and was originally published in 1911. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Bob Kemp 25 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

We got a puppy this summer so I was really pleased to get Helen Mort’s ‘Never Leave the Dog Behind’, about dogs and mountains.

Fozzy 25 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

‘The Bromeliad’ by Terry Pratchett & a Deadpool graphic novel omnibus. 

alan moore 25 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I got Mark Radtke's book, which I'm thoroughly looking forward too...

Dr.S at work 25 Dec 2020
In reply to alan moore:

Two as presents:

Curlew Moon by Mary colwell

the sea birds cry by Adam nicholson

and a few I bought in my book present buying spree that ended up for me

the long horizon by Iain Thomson

Poachers Pilgrimage by Alistair Mcintosh 

Ash before Oak by Jeremy Cooper

I leafed through the last and decided I could not give it as a present as it seems quite dark and has an unusual format. Will see.

aln 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

The 1st volume of Preacher. I've read this before when it came out, but as I'm currently binging the TV show I'm looking forward to reading it again. 

I'd like to give an honourable mention to a gift I received last Christmas, 40 Walks in Fife by UKC's very own Dan Bailey. This cracking wee pocket guide came in very handy during this year of travel restrictions and staying local. 

Stichtplate 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

The new Mark Reeves Snowdonia guide, which looks great.

A puppy training book with a title so twee I can’t bring myself to repeat it... though it was recommended to me on here, so must have some merit.

‘Never leave the dog behind’ sounds like a sound investment for the book voucher. Cheers for the steer Bob.

tom r 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake. 'How fungi make our minds, and shape our futures.' Always been fascinated by mushrooms so this is right up my street.

Post edited at 09:11
 Andy Hardy 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

"Mountaineers - Great Tales of Bravery & Conquest"

Which, despite the title is a nice book for dipping into.

Sean Kelly 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Received a book token so thinking of getting 'The Book of Trespass'

a link here: https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-book-of-trespass/nick-hayes/9781526604...

Post edited at 12:29
 Welsh Kate 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I got Andrew Cotter's memoir Olive, Mabel and Me which is also about dogs and mountains, coincidentallyt many of my favourite Scottish mountains. Plus I grew up with labradors, so it's gone down a treat!

Blue Straggler 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Lotte Reiniger DVDs 

Timmd 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

The Science Of Fate, by neuroscientist Hannah Critchlow, a curry cookery book, and a vegan and stir fry cookery book. 

Currently reading How to be a Minister, but Gerald Kaufman, about working in English parliament, it's quite amusingly written. 

Tom Valentine 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Rawia Bishara's "Levant" which should complement very nicely the copy of Sabrina Gayour's "Sirocco" which someone bought me a couple of years ago.

nawface 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I've been given that.  Looks good. 

Also Mountains of the Mind.

Currently reading the recent Ben Macintyre book, Agent Sonya.  A present to myself to read over the period.  Spying back in the day was a dangerous game.

Toerag 26 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I didn't get anything of interest, but I've just read 'The Santa that fell to earth' by Cornelia Funke to my 6 year old early in December and she's gone bonkers for it, making me read it again and also listening to the audiobook more than once. Thoroughly recommended for 6-10 year olds by me. Dunno what the film is like.

Post edited at 22:41
 Bob Kemp 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I’ll be checking that out, thanks.

mbh 27 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I got the Haynes repair manual for Apollo 13. It is very, very good. I will never again think of any part of the Apollo machines as 'primitive' (not that I ever did, really) and how those three held it together to the end is beyond me.

hokkyokusei 28 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I got The Moth and the Mountain by Ed Caesar. It's the story of Maurice Wilson, who set out to climb Everest alone in 1934.

Timmd 29 Dec 2020
In reply to mbh:

I bought my Dad the Haynes Spirt Of St Louis book.

Bob Aitken 29 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

It was a real pleasure to get Calum Smith's 'The Black Cuillin'.  A comprehensive, authoritative, highly readable history of climbing on the Cuillin.   I keep dipping in and getting absorbed in the climbs and characters.

Removed User 30 Dec 2020
In reply to mbh:

>  I got the Haynes repair manual for Apollo 13

Bloody hell, that must be huge!

Mind you, presumably the only 'repairable' bit was the module/capsule section? Anything going wrong with the rocket parts after launch would automatically negate the need for repair...

mbh 31 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

>Anything going wrong with the rocket parts after launch would automatically negate the need for repair...

I have just bought the repair manual for Saturn V to find out about those bits. 

graeme jackson 31 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

Mrs J bought me Monty Don's latest; 'My garden World'. Not had a chance to open it yet.

Bog ninja 31 Dec 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

I received ‘owls of the eastern ice’ by Jonathan Slaght, a cracking book about the study of the largest owl in the world in a remote part of Russia

wercat 31 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

There was a large and complex rugged IBM computer in one of the upper sections (The Instrument Unit, referred to as the IU (compensating for early cutout of the centre engine in the first stage in the film ).

An amazing bit of equipment in itself.

> Mind you, presumably the only 'repairable' bit was the module/capsule section? Anything going wrong with the rocket parts after launch would automatically negate the need for repair...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...