The age of lies .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

http://news.sky.com/story/sacha-baron-cohen-hitler-would-have-been-allowed-...

Further to my reply to a post floating the idea that the era we are living in is an a age of lies. 

Sasha Cohen puts it remarkably well in this story.

I have to say I agree with him .  Free speech is one thing but out and out lies are destroying the fabric of society be it in families or general social cohesion.

wercat 23 Nov 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Hitler would have used Facebook to detect and destroy the opposition until only Nazi content was there.

He'd have loved it

Lusk 23 Nov 2019

Keep the faith dude, more and more people are waking up to question the bullshit they're being fed.  There is a noticeable increase of Fact Check stuff popping up.

Just scratch the the surface of any headline and you can see the bollocks lurking underneath.

In reply to Lusk:

> There is a noticeable increase of Fact Check stuff popping up.

Let's hope it's the real Fact Check, and not the bullshit Tory version.

In reply to Lusk:

> Keep the faith dude, more and more people are waking up to question the bullshit they're being fed.  There is a noticeable increase of Fact Check stuff popping up.

Just not the conservative type I hope.  Re other thread.

> Just scratch the the surface of any headline and you can see the bollocks lurking underneath.

Yes hopefully .  

It's still amplifies my belief that we need lessons in school taught specifically dealing with critical thinking and evidence assessment 

balmybaldwin 23 Nov 2019

This from the BBC is a fine example: https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1198261302898176000

Lusk 23 Nov 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

Like I say, just take a few minutes to reveal the bullshit.

Andy Clarke 23 Nov 2019

> It's still amplifies my belief that we need lessons in school taught specifically dealing with critical thinking and evidence assessment

ie Media Studies - regularly traduced by those who don't want the plebs thinking critically. 

In reply to wercat:

> Hitler would have used Facebook to detect and destroy the opposition until only Nazi content was there.

> He'd have loved it

Could you imagine Hitler with a twitter account ?

GarethSL 25 Nov 2019

I reckon a Guinness book of fake news would be a great read. All the worst lies and liars put in their place in x many pages of hardback glory. 

In reply to GarethSL:

Boris Johnson would need a whole chapter to himself.

In reply to GarethSL:

> I reckon a Guinness book of fake news would be a great read. All the worst lies and liars put in their place in x many pages of hardback glory. 

That's a great idea. 

Fake news and who perpetrated it .   

And each year it will need updating .  

Post edited at 10:25
Pan Ron 25 Nov 2019

I wonder how he would feel if Borat was censored due to its portrayal of Kazakhstan?  Or Bruno for his caricature of gay Austrians?  Given the trajectory or public sensitivities, there's a good chance his character will, in a few years, also qualify as hateful, racist, of spreading false-hoods, and being as off-colour as black-minstrel shows.  Propose censorship as a solution and you open a pandora's box and I'm not convinced he's is in a great position to start passing judgement.

He complains about democracy being in retreat, but proposes censorship as a solution?  Because "hate crime is on the rise"....really? https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/is-hate-crime-really-on-the-rise

How Facebook is supposed to police hundreds of thousands of posts is beyond me.  Algorithms already used by Google and Facebook result in daily demonetisation and removal of perfectly legitimate content, on claims of inciting hatred.  You can be damn sure that in removing "immoral" content a hell of a lot of innocent content will be removed as well and given social media monopolies appear strongly politically aligned how can that be a good thing? 

Yet another claim of "this is what the Nazis would do" seems like scare-mongering and an apparent inability to accept that what currently qualifies as extremist, Nazi and racist (be that Trump, Boris, Brexit or border-walls) might be entirely legitimate.  If your idea of democracy is that these things are such negative outcomes that they should be inhibited, by censorship or limiting the availability of viewpoints, then you have right there why people are voting for them.

Harry Jarvis 25 Nov 2019

> And each year it will need updating .  

Each year? each week more like. CNN has a weekly round-up of Trump's lies. These were last week's efforts:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/22/politics/fact-check-november-trump-impea...

Offwidth 25 Nov 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Sir Tim on the tories fake fact check site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50539795

Offwidth 25 Nov 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Funny that Trump's clear fact checked lies were below average at 55 last week, maybe he had a cold

Blue Straggler 25 Nov 2019

> Could you imagine Hitler with a twitter account ?

I can't believe it's been six hours and nobody has written "Twitler".

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I can't believe it's been six hours and nobody has written "Twitler".

Well Lemming has been vacant for a while now .

He's used the phrase before.

Agolf Twitler IIRC

Post edited at 14:31
 Offwidth 28 Nov 2019

The latest, on what looks increasing like a liars mandate that look more like the actions of  some tin pot dictators.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/28/revealed-tory-candidates-i...

In reply to Offwidth:

> The latest, on what looks increasing like a liars mandate that look more like the actions of  some tin pot dictators.

Jesus . 

I feel sorry for these people.

They obviously don't care about people or society .  Only their personal party advantage and small minded view of the world in which we live .  

wercat 28 Nov 2019

> Jesus . 

> I feel sorry for these people.

but it's the rest of us who will be the victims

In reply to wercat:

> but it's the rest of us who will be the victims

Unfortunately .

jimmccall 29 Nov 2019

> Could you imagine Hitler with a twitter account ?

There is a current politician, salient to the world stage, who prompts me to respond ‘yes’... I think some responses allude to my connection, above. I wouldn’t like to speak for others... so I won’t. Cryptically, I am thinking ‘The capital 21st, is followed by all behind’... For me, a well phrased post, as I felt duty bound to respond... despite my desire to stay apolitical! 

On the notion of the effects upon society of social media, politically. Whilst I recognise the negative effects, and Susan Greenfield is a good one to look up on this, I can’t help but feel there is (grudgingly) a political benefit. The speed of social communication does deter nation states from maintaining ‘the lie’ and social media as we have today in the 1940s  may have been used to highlight the wrongs before they developed to the level they did. 

A thought provoking post... thank you. 

Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...