The 100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjdodd 22 Jul 2021

I still don't get why we had to reinvent 20/20 but I really enjoyed the match last night.  Great to see top level cricket on the BBC.  The game was exciting and the players looked to be really enjoying themselves.  So much smiling even cheered my miserable self up.

Hoping for another cracking game tonight.

Welsh Kate 22 Jul 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Agree. A highly entertaining game of cricket regardless of format. Everyone seemed so happy to be out there and there was some high quality play as well. Also looking forward to more. I'm happy to watch any cricket, but it's fantastic to see the women's game get such a high profile at last.

earlsdonwhu 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Over hyped and another  needless attempt to reinvent a sport. Just heard someone say they looked forward to the Hundred....  " Lots of beer and sixes." 

Old Git

Huddy 22 Jul 2021
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Or it’s a gateway drug which leads to a test match addiction? 

OP tjdodd 22 Jul 2021
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Old Git

The lack of old gits was really refreshing in the game last night.  Lots of youngsters who would probably never normally go anywhere near cricket clearly enjoying themselves.  

toad 22 Jul 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Daft question, but.. were there fireworks? The 20 20 has been a massive pitA for unexpected daytime fireworks, and the 100 in nottm this w/end , I think

Post edited at 20:52
OP tjdodd 22 Jul 2021
In reply to toad:

I didn't see any but did not watch the whole coverage to know if there was definitely no fireworks.  They have live music and a DJ so fireworks would not be a surprise.

Mal Grey 22 Jul 2021
In reply to toad:

> Daft question, but.. were there fireworks? The 20 20 has been a massive pitA for unexpected daytime fireworks, and the 100 in nottm this w/end , I think

Had the flame thrower things & lots of music, but didn't see any actual fireworks.

Against my better judgement, I'm enjoyed both games so far.

Toccata 22 Jul 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

There’s test cricket. To which the 50 over game is a distraction and has, in part, ruined the skill of the test. Twenty over cricket exists, I believe. What is this ‘100’ of which you speak?

(not that old)

summo 22 Jul 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

It's like just about everything these days, dumb it down and simplify to the lowest level. No need to learn the terminology, or normal game format. It's the obsession that everything has to be so called instantly accessible, whilst treating everyone like idiots at the same time. 

mondite 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Mal Grey:

> Had the flame thrower things

Bit extreme. Couldnt they just have occasionally exploding balls instead?

summo 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Huddy:

> Or it’s a gateway drug which leads to a test match addiction? 

Nope. It'll more likely kill it. It's the way of things, instant gratification, no long haul and waiting for tomorrow... it's got to be fast, wizz, bang, wallop, #winner... and onto the next amazing, fantastic thing. Probably 'speed tennis', where they just play to 4 or 5, 1 point for each serve won. 

Pedro50 22 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

Test match fan here. I quite enjoyed it but the "tea interval" music was utter shite on both occasions. 

Fireworks are environmentally unacceptable. 

Fat Bumbly2 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Looked fun and well presented, best of all accessible on all telly.  Problem watching is that with the made up teams the result does not matter.  No edge like watching real cricket.  

Not bothered if Polystyrene beats Bakelite or vice versa.  That final over, - oops they killed overs the barstewards, is meaningless

wercat 23 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

the next quick sport has just begun

"The 30 second Olympiad"

gethin_allen 23 Jul 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

I sometimes wonder if cricket is being shortened more and more to try and fit it in between the rain.

Not sure the format is really necessary with 20:20 already happening and the whole lack of terminology thing is just insulting the intelligence of normal people. How hard is it to understand the concept of 6 balls in an over? 

Michael Hood 23 Jul 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

Well obviously it's very difficult unless you happen to have an extra digit on your hand.

Actually, I wonder where the actual original basis for overs being 6 balls comes from. It's as illogical as £sd was but that type of idiosyncrasy is part of the beauty of such things.

Pedro50 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Didn't Australia have 8 ball overs in recent history?

Until 1979 in tests apparently

Post edited at 13:04
 Fat Bumbly2 23 Jul 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

Still trying to get my head around the non over thing.  Is it simply there because 6 is not a factor of 100?

joem 23 Jul 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

I was fully prepared to hate it, but I really enjoyed the coverage of the first two games. 

In terms of the format I think it plays very like 20:20 so it doesn't really make too much difference, my cynical side says that the change in format has been done purely to provoke just these kind of discussions and generate hype.  

joem 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

In short yes, not worth getting two worked up about as the length of overs have changed before. I quite like the two overs from one end thing tbh. 

Thinking about it I'd have just had normal overs but the last one being a 10 ball over would be quite exciting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...