Temporary hard base for large shed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 07 Jul 2019

Mrs. Wing and I are looking to install a shed in the back garden, roughly 7' x 7'. We're in rented accommodation on a 3-year lease so we can't lay concrete or leave the garden in a changed condition (we will re-turf when we leave).

I was thinking of digging down 3", compacting, laying 3-4" of gravel and laying slabs on top without using a filler.

Should provide a stable base that wouldn't need changing within 3 years.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Snyggapa 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rockwing:

That, or wooden sleepers. New softwood or old railway sleepers. Depends on what the base of the shed is really and how much needs solid support. 

Both ways will need digging in and levelling. Sleepers will raise the floor a bit which may or may not be beneficial, you could do the perimeter and two down the centre in the direction to support the floor joists. 

I'd probably go slabs if raising it up isn't needed. I currently have an 8x10 shed on sleepers , been there 8 years with no issues

Post edited at 12:01
 wbo 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rockwing: for 3 years? What's the floor of the proposed shed?  I assume its readymade in a kit?

J101 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rockwing:

Get those plastic lock together sections and then fill with gravel. Won't cost any more than slabs and is easy to put down and take up again. Also gives you drainage so no chance of standing water under the shed. I've used these for quite a few shed bases recently and customers have been v happy with the results.

big 07 Jul 2019
In reply to J101:

> I've used these for quite a few shed bases recently and customers have been v happy with the results.

I've put 6 greenhouses on the lock-together pavers - I use Blackrite. I usually level the ground underneath with sharp sand first, put the greenhouse (or shed!) on, tie the shed (or greenhouse!) to the pavers with thick wire then fill the pavers with gravel/grit.

flour 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rockwing:

Have a look at Spirafix ground anchors.

Timmd 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rockwing:

Would a rectangular frame of sleepers with a platform constructed across it be a bad idea? It would be easy to restore the ground to how it was afterwards. 

Post edited at 23:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...