Telford, Brunel, Hull

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 06 Jun 2020

Ms. aln is convinced that when we spent a weekend in Hull, we found a bridge built by either of the above engineers. I don't think so, and I can't find anything online to contradict me. 

Post edited at 03:42
 Blue Straggler 06 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

Aside from your OP being the most glorious 3.37am post ever put onto UKC, I think you are right 

I didn’t even see one listed under the Telford Medal but I might have overlooked it. I don’t know if there is a similar Brunel prize for engineering

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Hull#Bridges

Andy Johnson 06 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

I grew up in Hull and I've never heard of a bridge built by either of them. As far as I know the three main River crossings in the town date from the mid 20th century onwards.

OP aln 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thanks! I think. 

deepstar 06 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

Disappointed, I thought this was going to be an odd one out question, regarding a vent act with an emu.

OP aln 06 Jun 2020
In reply to deepstar:

Have a like. 

In reply to deepstar:

I thought it was going to be asking which had the best university...

Tringa 07 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

> Ms. aln is convinced that when we spent a weekend in Hull, we found a bridge built by either of the above engineers. I don't think so, and I can't find anything online to contradict me. 

The only thing Google(or rather Wikipedia) came up with about the Humber Bridge that is sort of related is this -

Once it was likely that a bridge would be constructed, Imperial College-educated Bernard Wex OBE (24 April 1922 – 31 July 1990) produced the design in 1964 that was actually built.[11] The bridge was built to last 120 years.[12] In 1985 Wex was awarded the Telford Medal by the Institution of Civil Engineers.

Dave

Removed User 07 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

Put your best diplomatic hat on when you tell Ms.Aln she is mistaken, somebody has misled her or she has misread something - in fact you can use some of those words. I'm only on the third day of self isolation with my wife (she's having an op) and we're treading carefully avoiding disagreements which can escalate out of proportion.

Blue Straggler 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

Nah he can just tell her "Blue Straggler on UKC says she is wrong"  

OP aln 08 Jun 2020

> Nah he can just tell her "Blue Straggler on UKC says she is wrong"  

I have actually found myself using your posts to prove myself correct, but usually when it's do with cinema. Not sure of your credentials in the field of relationship advice... 

In reply to aln:

> Ms. aln is convinced that when we spent a weekend in Hull, we found a bridge built by either of the above engineers. 

Was drink involved in your romantic weekend away? That might explain a lot.

T.

OP aln 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I don't remember saying anything about it being romantic... 😁 Ms. aln isn't a drinker, though she had 3 small  bottles of cider at the gig, which was 1 more than usual. She might have been addled 🤔

Post edited at 18:54
 Ridge 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

> Put your best diplomatic hat on when you tell Ms.Aln she is mistaken, somebody has misled her or she has misread something - in fact you can use some of those words.

The only words aln needs to use are:

"You were absolutely right, dear"

OP aln 08 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

In reply to all the clichéd Mr and Mrs type responses this query seems to have generated. I'm surprised. 

Blue Straggler 08 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

There are only two. From jess13 and Ridge 

OP aln 08 Jun 2020

And yours. 

Blue Straggler 09 Jun 2020
In reply to aln:

Nope. Read what I wrote, clearly. There was nothing about marriage in it. You’re reading far too much into all this. 

OP aln 09 Jun 2020

> You’re reading far too much into all this. 

No I'm not, it's just blether. You said something about me being wrong coz I'm the husband, then deleted it. 

In reply to aln:

So you are referring to something that I posted, that I reconsidered, that I decided was inappropriate, and that I deleted approximately 40 seconds after posting. That's ridiculous. Get a grip. 

OP aln 09 Jun 2020

Well done for ruining a light hearted thread again. You really ought to have a look at your posting style. Get a grip yourself. Overthinking yourself. Reply if you want, I won't be reading it and I won't be coming back to this thread. 

In reply to aln:

Ooh he's flounced! FFS. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...