Teachers in MRTs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 06 Aug 2020

I'm considering joining a local MRT. Setting aside the question of whether they'd want or need me I'd be interested to hear about the experience of teachers in Mountain Rescue Teams. Even before the pandemic it was really difficult to get time out even for curricular activities so I'd have very little flexibility to go on calls and even if I could get time out I wouldn't be comfortable doing so very often. Have other teachers managed to be effective MRT members? Ta.

jockster 06 Aug 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi, entirely possible. I managed to teach and be part of MRT for 6 years. Very few callouts happened during work time. For the whole day training at weekend (in the team I was in usually one,max two days per month) you have to fit your marking etc in but what the team might lose of you in term time they get back in the school holidays, cheers, si

PS. my head categorically stated there was no chance of going on call out during working day.

Post edited at 18:58
 richprideaux 06 Aug 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

The 9-5, Monday-Friday response from MRTs generally comes from shift workers, the retired and the self-employed. Luckily most jobs happen at weekends or in the evenings anyway.

Lots of professions/jobs won't release their paid staff to bugger off up a hill to wear red and fling O2 at ramblers, it's just part of the reality of volunteering.

Attendance at training, callouts and fundraising events normally has a minimum requirement, but this varies greatly between teams.

One thing for all prospective MR volunteers to remember is that it's not just you giving time to the team, it's your family too. They're the ones you need to talk about your availability, not your employer IMO.

DerwentDiluted 06 Aug 2020
In reply to richprideaux:

> One thing for all prospective MR volunteers to remember is that it's not just you giving time to the team, it's your family too. They're the ones you need to talk about your availability, not your employer IMO.

^^This. It's not just 'your own time you're wasting'. ;0)

OP DaveHK 06 Aug 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> ^^This. It's not just 'your own time you're wasting'. ;0)

No kids so less of (but not no) issue.  

greg_may_ 06 Aug 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I'm one. When I'm in school I'm off call, pretty simple. I've done a few 0900 lessons unshowered, unslept and highly caffeinated by my wonderful technician. It's totally doable. I tend to make up for it during holidays by being available as much as possible.

Most shouts are evening, and weekends. Though that has changed of late.

mgce25c 06 Aug 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Agree with all of the above. Also teams will be more flexible with your commitment if you also bring other skills to the team, eg Dr/rope wizard/good with charity stuff/accounts etc etc. The fact that you can teach will be much sought out in the structure of training sessions. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...