Suppose the Gulf Stream stops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 09 Aug 2021

What happens to weather in Ireland and the UK?

In reply to Flinticus:

Becomes like that of Newfoundland.

This was a subject of one of the many Horizon "we're all doomed" programmes in the 70s and 80s. It ought to have been mentioned in the recent thread...

Jenny C 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Gets a heck of a lot colder.

Stichtplate 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> What happens to weather in Ireland and the UK?

Guaranteed Winter seasons where everything is in nick from October to March 

Michael Hood 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Depends how quickly the gulf stream slows down and stops v what stage global warming has got to by then.

So if delayed enough it might not make things colder (just stop/slow local global warming).

There was a programme about 10 (?) years ago which did scenarios, what if the gulf stream stopped now, in 20 years, in 40 years, something like that.

Shani 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

The 1650 Little Ice Age gives us a clue. But it could be much worse.

Jack 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Have we missed our subscription? Bloody brexit

profitofdoom 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

No more Caribbean fish and chips

kipper12 09 Aug 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Wasn’t that called “The Day After Tomorrow”

flatlandrich 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

> Gets a heck of a lot colder.

Which presumably means somewhere else gets a heck of a lot warmer!

Mark Edwards 10 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I saw this a few days ago which suggests it may already be changing.

“These results reveal spatially consistent empirical evidence that, in the course of the last century, the AMOC may have evolved from relatively stable conditions to a point close to a critical transition.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-01097-4

Michael Hood 10 Aug 2021
In reply to Mark Edwards:

It made either the beeb or a mainstream online paper, can't remember which.

Basically it was saying that the AMOC (underwater current that "returns" the gulf stream) has two stable modes, fast and slow.

It's been in stable fast mode for some time but the evidence gathered shows instability which may mean it's about to go into stable slow mode.

But of course nobody knows exactly what this will precipitate or when or how long it will take etc. However there doesn't appear to be much disagreement that the effects will be very significant and wide ranging.

Johnhi 10 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I briefly passed over some modelling suggesting a significant reduction in rainfall and 3.5C lower average temps.  With the effect falling off north to south.  Came with a rather dramatic drop in arable land area.

Doug 10 Aug 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

See https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/05/climate-crisis-scientis...

based in part on an article in Nature Climate Change (link in Mark Edwards' post above)

CurlyStevo 10 Aug 2021
In reply to Johnhi:

Wouldn't most the temperature drop off be in winter?

S Ramsay 11 Aug 2021
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I'm pretty sure that you're right, and summers would be hotter. The UK climate could start to resemble British Columbia which this summer hasn't been pretty. Not that many  trees in the UK though so wildfire should be a bit less dramatic 

summo 11 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

It stops every winter for parts of Northern Europe already, or rather its course changes. It would be permanently below zero for a few months etc.. imagine those uk winters where it was cold , make it colder and longer.  

Post edited at 07:06
 subtle 11 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> What happens to weather in Ireland and the UK?

What happens to the midges?

too hot for them?

too cold for them so they all get killed off during longer colder winters?

or wetter and a wee bit warmer so more of them?

girlymonkey 11 Aug 2021
In reply to subtle:

I'm not convinced a cold winter has any effect on them. Dry spells are what we need, but no idea what the likelihood of that is if we lose the gulf stream.

I'd say there are noticeably fewer midges this year than normal. Last night, after a swim in loch Venachar, we all stood around in a sheltered car park, surrounded by trees and no wind, and chatted for at least half an hour. Not even a hint of a midge. This was heading towards sunset. This dry summer up to now really has made an impact!

65 11 Aug 2021
In reply to Johnhi:

> Came with a rather dramatic drop in arable land area.

Which matters rather more than reliable fat ice for 4 months.

felt 11 Aug 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I'd say there are noticeably fewer midges this year than normal.

More dragonflies than I've ever seen, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...