Steak and Kidney Puddings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Where's the best place to get these (excluding artisan tosseries and chip shops)? Do you steam them?

ripper 15 Apr 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

My local Sainsbury's does individual ones (just steak, I think, rather than proper s&k), in the chilled section - although they do sometimes run out. They steam in the microwave. Possibly not the most authentic but not bad for easy basic fare.

Dave the Rave 15 Apr 2019

B and M do Fray Bentos ones.

Ta for the replies. However, a steak and kidney pudding should at least have some kidneys in it and be surrounded by suet pastry - not in a tin (although both would suffice should I be hungry)!

Sharp 16 Apr 2019

Half of the pleasure is making it and having it steaming away for a few hours on a rainy day.

The New NickB 16 Apr 2019

If you are in the NW of England or possibly Yorkshire, a Jackson’s Rag Pudding is definitely worth a try. Just steak, rather than steak and kidney. You can buy direct from the factory, in various local butchers, or with a pint in various local pubs.

The factory is in Milnrow, which is on the eastern edge of Rochdale.

Moley 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Sharp:

> Half of the pleasure is making it and having it steaming away for a few hours on a rainy day.

I wouldn't know where to buy a decent one, but when my wife makes one and puts it on top of the woodburner and the suet bubbles away gently all day - I know we are in for a treat, which wine and have we enough mustard is my only concern.

mick taylor 16 Apr 2019

The chippies round here (Wigan) mainly sell the Hollands ones (available Tescos) - they are great - and improved with chips peas gravy.  And Dandelion and Burdock.  And I am now starving.  And thirsty !!

Steam them.

Rob Parsons 16 Apr 2019

> Where's the best place to get these (excluding artisan tosseries and chip shops)? Do you steam them?

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/books/delias-winter-collection/steak-an...

Doesn't look difficult; why not give it a go?

Tom Valentine 16 Apr 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Strange how calling them rag puddings made them acceptable pub fare. I don't think Jacksons have ever called them that, especially since they come in that funny white plastic paper.

You're right about quality, though. I often bring half a dozen back over to this side of the hill and have no trouble at all in giving them away.

Post edited at 11:48
Removed User 16 Apr 2019

Get cooking, even if you don't think you can follow a recipe to the letter and it'll be fine..... if its not 100% it'll still be better than a shop one - the fact its homemade always helps the flavour....

The New NickB 16 Apr 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

I thought you Wiganers were pie experts. Holland’s pudding with peas and gravy was ok post pub nourishment back in the dim and distant, but they really don’t appeal greatly these days. There has definitely been a pie resurgence in the past 20 years.

Pyreneenemec 16 Apr 2019

> I thought you Wiganers were pie experts. Holland’s pudding with peas and gravy was ok post pub nourishment back in the dim and distant, but they really don’t appeal greatly these days. There has definitely been a pie resurgence in the past 20 years.

I'm not sure if they make steak and kidney puddings, but I had a delicious pork pie made by a company in nearby Standish with a decent pint in the railway themed Wigan Central pub on a recent visit, naturally, whilst waiting for a connecting train ! 

Finding a chip shop that does Pudding, chips, peas & gravy is a highlight of a return to my birthplace of Macclesfield. I have found several that still do the trad. version - The Mill Lane chippy is my favourite.

subtle 16 Apr 2019

> There has definitely been a pie resurgence in the past 20 years.

Indeed, I always liked to order Twa Pehs An An Ingin Ane In Aw  

Moley 16 Apr 2019

A general question for all pie people, do you have mustard with steak and kidney, pork pies and others?

For me English mustard is a must.

GrahamD 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Moley:

100% - no brainer for me.

Carless 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Moley:

Definitely - English or good French Dijon (and not that odd stuff called French mustard that you find sometimes in the UK: what the hell is that?)

ThunderCat 16 Apr 2019

Call me an absolute pleb, but I love those little  goblin boil in the tin puddings you get in most supermarkets. 

Fozzy 16 Apr 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

You’re an absolute pleb. 

Lusk 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Nice Boozer, but the ale is over chilled.

Low 20s on the Lusk top ten pubs.

ThunderCat 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Fozzy:

> You’re an absolute pleb. 

If the cap fits... 😄 

Gone 16 Apr 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

Fray Bentos?

aln 16 Apr 2019

> Ta for the replies. However, a steak and kidney pudding should at least have some kidneys in it 

That's the problem with s+k pie, the kidneys. Boak...

Dave the Rave 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Moley:

> A general question for all pie people, do you have mustard with steak and kidney, pork pies and others?

> For me English mustard is a must.

Tomato sauce with a Fray Bentos steak and kidney. Pickled onion with a pork pie. No need for mustard of any description for me.

ripper 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Tomato sauce with a Fray Bentos steak and kidney. Pickled onion with a pork pie. No need for mustard of any description for me.

Bit of mint sauce with pie & peas - or maybe pickled red cabbage

Billhook 17 Apr 2019

When I was in the RN, Steak and Kidney puddings were always referred to as ; 'Babies'  Heads"

Quite obvious once you've cut one in two.

ThunderCat 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Gone:

> Fray Bentos?

Nah, goblin. 

Tom Valentine 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Billhook:

Similarly I've heard spotted dick referred to as "blind whelp".

mick taylor 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Billhook:

Babys Yed round here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...