State of the world, any plans?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RX-78 26 Sep 2019

Well, looking at all the threads on climate change, pollution, biodiversity loss, trump, Johnson etc anyone got any emergency escape plans? If the world is fukced (see what I did there?) What would you do now to try reduce the impact on you? Move to more northern climate and move to less densely populated country (if possible) etc?

Carless 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

In the immediate, I'm just about to cycle to the pub

BnB 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

If one were to go and hide in the Scandinavian forest, then one could hardly argue that the apocalypse had had no effect on one, eh?

More pertinently, if the shit really were to hit the fan (cities flooded, bee extinction, war) whatever mitigations an average-income inhabitant of the developed world could hope to achieve would probably require getting in the queue behind those with greater resources. Cottages in the Highlands will get very expensive very fast.

Moley 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Carless:

> In the immediate, I'm just about to cycle to the pub

The best place I know to make plans, good luck.

NathanP 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I'd suggest moving to a rich island nation with a fairly strong military, mostly well above even the worst case sea level rise projections and situated in a region that isn't likely to get too hot and dry. That seems to be covered OK where I am.

Next steps: try to take personal steps to reduce environmental impact and vote for parties that propose doing that on a national level and using what influence we have in the world to persuade others to do the same.

wercat 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I expect to be recycled in the next 10-20 years as I've already passed the age at which my father was

Stichtplate 26 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

> More pertinently, if the shit really were to hit the fan (cities flooded, bee extinction, war) whatever mitigations an average-income inhabitant of the developed world could hope to achieve would probably require getting in the queue behind those with greater resources. Cottages in the Highlands will get very expensive very fast.

A cottage in the highlands might sound safe and cosy, but without a couple of decades experience of subsistence farming and a community of at least 50 with complimentary skills, then your cosy cottage is likely to be where you slowly starve to death. That is, unless you're discovered early on by the uber hard survivors of the urban bloodbaths, foraging further afield for dwindling resources. In which case, you can probably expect a swifter end.

Cash isn't going to insulate anyone from the apocalypse I'm afraid.

Andy Hardy 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I'm going to grow a really, really big turnip.

BnB 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> A cottage in the highlands might sound safe and cosy, but without a couple of decades experience of subsistence farming and a community of at least 50 with complimentary skills, then your cosy cottage is likely to be where you slowly starve to death. That is, unless you're discovered early on by the uber hard survivors of the urban bloodbaths, foraging further afield for dwindling resources. In which case, you can probably expect a swifter end.

> Cash isn't going to insulate anyone from the apocalypse I'm afraid.

You'd be surprised how many billionaires have already bought communities to sustain them in the event of an apocalypse.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/15/why-silicon-valley-billionaire...

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/doomsday-luxury-bunkers/index.html

Pefa 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

To fight for the planets rich lifeforms and everything that sustains them would be a message to spread to the old and young. Which would mean trying to lessen the impact we make in everything we do but serious uncomfortable issues like over population, plastic production, etc basically sustainability will need to be faced.

So keep occasionally spreading wee messages out there to everyone about this and reading information from scientific experts to stay informed can only help.

I feel society needs to get more in touch with nature and the simple life again and stop chasing perfect  glamorous dreams. Oh and trees, more trees absolutely everywhere and wealth inequality is beyond insane. 

OP RX-78 26 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

Well as NathanP says you will also need a strong military to defend youself, wouldn't be surprised if China has NZ as plan B or something.

UK might be a good place but is over populated for its size, so depends on food imports. Ireland would be good but can't defend itself.

Stichtplate 26 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

> You'd be surprised how many billionaires have already bought communities to sustain them in the event of an apocalypse.

Saw a documentary on it a couple of years ago. Made me laugh how many of these dot.com geniuses had hired ex SAS/ navy seal types as body guards. If the shit really hit the fan, the bodyguards and their extended families would form the new feudal overlords and the expert coders? merely easily disposed of inconveniences.

DancingOnRock 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I don’t think I have an immunity to cholera or malaria, and I’ve not got any experience of killing people with my bare hands.

So, I’m just going to try and stay fit and maybe hope that they want fit 50 year olds in the army or to farm the land. 

Otherwise, I have a large sandpit and a spade with which to bury my head. 

wintertree 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

If it wasn’t for China, New Zealand.

As it is, I’m staying put in the north east of England and gradually digging in - rainwater harvesting, solar power, improving perimeter security etc.

England isn’t a bad place to be – the first choice is developed nation and risk of nuke attack, or less developed nation. We’re okay unless the wind is blowing from the east in a nuke attack.  Anything short of nuclear warfare and I think the UK is not a bad bet.   The ocean will be a godsend if it comes to mass forced immigration away from North Africa. We have a lot of land being wasted that could be used food. We just about have a decent Armed Forces – too small but could be scaled up. We can build most of the military things that we need. We have the potential for energy independence.Our neighbours are in similar situations and a nice buffer around us.  We are far from China.

I very much hope I never have to use this “I’m alright Jack” approach but I am running lower on optimism.

Late this Saturday is the unveiling of SpaceX’s latest Mars rocket. I wonder what a one-way ticket will cost in 15 years?

SenzuBean 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I'm lucky enough to be able to move to New Zealand, and would love to attract some Brits over with outdoor jobs one day, fingers crossed.

Removed User 26 Sep 2019
In reply to BnB:

> Cottages in the Highlands will get very expensive very fast.

Just as well I've got one.

​​​

freeflyer 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I recommend a watch of The Admirable Chrichton:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Admirable_Crichton_(1957_film)

cracking ending

mick taylor 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

This is the plan.  We get in there and get wrecked, then we’ll eat a pork pie.  then we’ll drop a couple of Surmontil’s 50 each........

They had the right idea.

Ed Navigante 26 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I'm off back to the Rockies in Alberta as soon as I get the visa points! 

Your average Albertan has a truck, horse, gun, farm and fishing rod. They're too far away from anything important to get nuked, they're used to crazy temperature swings (-40 to +38 a few year back) so climate madness isn't even noticed. They pump their own oil (loads of farms have small pumps set up). They've basically got the infrastructure and experience to hold out if the rest of the world goes to pot

Oh, and it's really sunny and there's incredible climbing.

Iggy_B 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Ed Navigante:

I think your last point is the most important. I've long thought about this and intend to keep climbing after the apocalypse.

There'll be no queues on Stanage on a Bank Holiday at least. Although I may change my mind if it's a zombie apocalypse.

wintertree 27 Sep 2019

Unless the Chinese hit mainland USA by going up through Siberia, across the north polar ocean and down through Canada...  They’ve already got a lot going on quietly in Siberia...

OP RX-78 27 Sep 2019

Yes, I was thinking about Canada and the rockies after seeing a program (crossing home, a skiers journey. A video un ukc) about some guys who recently crossed it to the coast, it looked so empty and wild and large.

Post edited at 09:12
OP RX-78 27 Sep 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Siberia should be enough for them!

Carless 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Moley:

> The best place I know to make plans, good luck.

Well the very good news is that at 23:17, after intense discussion, we solved the climate change problems

The bad news is that no-one wrote the solutions down and, despite the 10 of us having more technology on us than existed in the world 70 years ago, no-one recorded it

so we're f*cked - sorry

Moley 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Carless:

> Well the very good news is that at 23:17, after intense discussion, we solved the climate change problems

> The bad news is that no-one wrote the solutions down and, despite the 10 of us having more technology on us than existed in the world 70 years ago, no-one recorded it

> so we're f*cked - sorry

Best all get back down to the pub then, after a few pints it will all come back to you. Take a pen and paper this time (or scribble on the back of a beer mat).

bouldery bits 27 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

Long term, I'll be dead like everyone else.

Short term, I will lose a few lbs in the famine and drop some sick FKTs on some UK trails. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...