Sprained ankle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KS132 02 Jul 2019

Hi,

I sprained my ankle 3 and a half weeks ago. This is the first time I’ve had this sort of injury so how it recovers and heals is a ne experience for me. It occurred whilst hill walking as I went over on my ankle (outwards) off the edge of the path. The pain was petty intense and initially I couldn’t weight bear. I had it checked out at the minor injuries unit and they confirmed it was a sprain. 3 weeks on and I’m much more mobile although sideways movements cause pain and there is a limited range of movement compared with the other foot. I don’t know what ‘grade’ sprain this was but my main issue at the moment is the amount of swelling it still has. It swells up quite noticeably after a busy day (although not especially strenuous as such) for example after a full day at work. I use an ice pack when possible which must have some effect and rest it when I can (again, due to life that’s not always feasible!). The swelling at its worst really limits the movement I have in it. I’ve been done some outdoor activities but nowhere near what I’m used to. Can anyone recommend anything else I can do to help it heal? I’ve also ordered a wobble-board after reading that these are really useful. Many thanks. 

Jon Greengrass 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

Throw away any footwear with a heel or built up sole and switch to zero drop/barefoot shoes, the closer your ankle is to the ground the lower it has to "fall" which will drastically reduce the likelihood of spraining it again.

tehmarks 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

I sprained my ankle four years ago in the Calanques (on the walk in to our first route of our holiday - whoops!). Ambulance, A&E, crutches, the works.

I don't recall doing anything specific to aid recovery, but I was constantly on my feet - initially walking between cafes in Cassis, and then straight back to work without crutches when I got back to the UK (downside of self-employment!). I think I just kept active and avoided as much as possible any sort of movement which caused pain or proper discomfort. I feel that keeping the joint active helped immensely in the long run - once it healed fully it was healed, and I've never suffered any lingering problems with it.

Once it was back to reasonable strength, I spent a lot of time standing around on one leg in various positions and generally working the ankle, and again that helped to iron out a lot of stiffness, creaking and weakness.

Be careful not to overdo it. I went back to playing ice hockey within four weeks, and I had to bow out of the first couple of training sessions early as I could tell I was becoming tired and felt much more likely to do myself a mischief when tired. I played in a competitive game a month and a half after the injury, and that was definitely on the cusp of stupidity.

For sports, taping also helped a lot until it was back to full strength. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube which show you how.

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Thank you for your reply. I have been climbing, only seconding routes as I don’t fully trust the movement and weighting the foot from the side (if that makes sense!). Compared with the good foot, there is still clear limited range of movement, for example pointing the toes. There is a definite difference. I try to move the foot in different ways and stretch it out when sitting, for example. Some cause pain, some discomfort and sometimes the foot just won’t move past a certain point. I know it’s  slowly getting better and I was told by the medic I saw not to sit around (my words) for much longer than a couple of days. I know keeping a degree of activity is important but then the swelling returns! 

Forgot to mention, I did strap my ankle when climbing, courtesy of you tube, which I felt did help somewhat. 

Great to hear you’ve not suffered any long term problems! Very keen to hear positive stories! 

Post edited at 11:02
In reply to KS132:

I had to give up squash in my 20's due to repeated ankle sprains. The pain and recovery process just wasn't worth it. Always considered my ankles slightly weakened as a result and could never quite get the same by-kick length as a goalie. 

Wouldn't go up any mountains without boots as I know that spraining it could mean a long difficult descent or even chopper off. And I always do them up quite tight on the descent purely to prevent ankle sprains. 

Now you've hit your 40s you'll find recoveries from injuries take much longer.  You're only 3 and a half weeks into recovery so it's still early days.  I reckon 8-10 unless you're fanatical about physio and treatment. Shouldn't hinder climbing too much but avoid bouldering. All the best. 

Post edited at 12:18
Rigid Raider 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

Welcome to weak ankles - I have been spraining both ankles repeatedly since the age of ten so I'm resigned to the fact that all the ligaments are permanently stretched and I just have to be careful. The worst experience was when I jumped off the climbing wall at the Sobell Sports Centre landing on the edge of the useless mat and dislocating my left ankle. Am I still bitter than no fellow climber or member of staff raised a finger to help me while I lay, vision clouding with agony, manipulated my own ankle straight again, almost fainted again with pain then slowly recovered and hopped to a phone to call myself a taxi to A&E?  Oh no I'm not still bitter, 35 years later you useless pillocks.

Anyway back to chronically weak ankles - yes, a wobble board is very good for rehab and strengthening. Get rid of any shoes that have a flat inner heel and wear shoes where your heel is cupped, which I think reduces the chances of a turn over. My last bad one was a year ago on a flat pavement outside my hotel in that London, whle I was wearing work brogues, which are flat and hard. I can usually limp on after resting a few minutes then ibuprofen and ice will help to reduce the swelling and it takes 2-3 weeks for the ankle to recover but I have learned to be extremely mindful nowadays when walking, especially on uneven ground.   

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to becauseitsthere:

> Wouldn't go up any mountains without boots as I know that spraining it could mean a long difficult descent or even chopper off. And I always do them up quite tight on the descent purely to prevent ankle sprains. 

Great advice. I generally prefer boots for hill walking anyway and will now make sure I wear them when out in the mountains (oh, the thought!!!).

> Now you've hit your 40s you'll find recoveries from injuries take much longer.  You're only 3 and a half weeks into recovery so it's still early days.  I reckon 8-10 unless you're fanatical about physio and treatment. Shouldn't hinder climbing too much but avoid bouldering. All the best. 

Early 40s but that statement is certainly ringing true! 

Yes, I admitted to myself this morning that it’s still early days. The problem I have found with climbing is taking high steps and also the fact that I seem to need my weight to be directly over my ankle before weighting it, thus stepping sideways and moving my weight over my foot as I move is painful (if that makes sense). This injury has really made me consider and appreciate the intricate workings of the joint and movements that I had previously taken for granted! 

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Welcome to weak ankles - I have been spraining both ankles repeatedly since the age of ten so I'm resigned to the fact that all the ligaments are permanently stretched and I just have to be careful. The worst experience was when I jumped off the climbing wall at the Sobell Sports Centre landing on the edge of the useless mat and dislocating my left ankle. Am I still bitter than no fellow climber or member of staff raised a finger to help me while I lay, vision clouding with agony, manipulated my own ankle straight again, almost fainted again with pain then slowly recovered and hopped to a phone to call myself a taxi to A&E?  Oh no I'm not still bitter, 35 years later you useless pillocks.

Eek, this sounds an awful experience! 

> Anyway back to chronically weak ankles - yes, a wobble board is very good for rehab and strengthening. Get rid of any shoes that have a flat inner heel and wear shoes where your heel is cupped, which I think reduces the chances of a turn over. My last bad one was a year ago on a flat pavement outside my hotel in that London, whle I was wearing work brogues, which are flat and hard. I can usually limp on after resting a few minutes then ibuprofen and ice will help to reduce the swelling and it takes 2-3 weeks for the ankle to recover but I have learned to be extremely mindful nowadays when walking, especially on uneven ground.   

Interesting to read of your repeated experience. Not sure if I should be taking ibuprofen.... I took a short walk in the Lake District last weekend and was very slow and unsteady on the descent, not just because of the angle of the slope but because of the stones on the path which, when unavoidable, were making my ankle tilt in painful ways. 

Doug 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

I sprained an ankle last September, and was prescribed anti-inflammatories for about 2 weeks, told to keep it in a splint for maybe a month. I also had physio once a week until christmas - this was in France & from speaking to friends was fairly standard treatment here. Once I could move fairly easily I had exercises from the physio (various stretches) which I did several times a day.

Although I was making progress I had a period in January/February when it felt I was never going to recover completely but I did, although it was May before it seemed back to normal. I suspect age is important - I'm just over 60 & guess if you're younger you will recover more quickly

NottsRich 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

You can tape your ankle up to reduce the liklihood of damaging it further. For example if you had to walk out after hurting it. Taping like this adds a lot of support. It's not the best guide, but gives the idea.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/how-to-treat-a-sprained-ankle.html

I'm not sure if taping it up like that while it's healing is a good idea or not, you'd have to look into it. If it was me though, I'd tape it up each time I went out walking/running for the next few months to provide support while it's still weark, and leave it un-taped the rest of the time to help mobility. The tape adds a lot of support when it's done right, without causing problems with walking/blood supply etc.

Post edited at 15:12
 Jon Greengrass 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

> Great advice. I generally prefer boots for hill walking anyway and will now make sure I wear them when out in the mountains (oh, the thought!!!).

Terrible advice, boots are for keeping your feet warm and dry, no boot can support your ankle like your own muscles can. Well maybe a rigid plastic ski boot could, but would you want to walk up a stony mountain track in them?

If you are worried about falling over or need to takes some weight of your feet, walking poles are useful.

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

Thanks for this link. I was surprised how much support taping my ankle provided. As I mentioned, this is my first ankle injury and I was sceptical but can see this being a useful tool in the next few weeks/months. 

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Terrible advice, boots are for keeping your feet warm and dry, no boot can support your ankle like your own muscles can. Well maybe a rigid plastic ski boot could, but would you want to walk up a stony mountain track in them?

I don’t know enough about this to make any claims either way but I can certainly say my feet/ankles *feel* more supported in boots. Perhaps this will help me make foot placements more confidently on rocky, uneven ground. I’m not sure. Time will tell. Certainly the injury took place in boots but perhaps in different circumstances (less dramatic ankle roll, for example) they will help. 

> If you are worried about falling over or need to takes some weight of your feet, walking poles are useful.

Yes, I use poles already and will continue to do so. 

MonkeyPuzzle 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

From personal experience, being a clumsy bastard who doesn't look where he's going, boots are definitely ankle-savers. At least once a day in the hills I go over on my ankle yet come away unscathed, knowing full well I'd stand a good chance of being hobbled if I wasn't wearing boots.

A bad sprain can take more recovery than a minor fracture, so don't underestimate it. Take it easy, build back up to feeling okay and then consider exercise for strengthening the muscles around your ankles: standing calf-raises, squats and then one-legged squats. There'll be a load more but they're the ones I've used.

Timmd 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

The best advice I can give is to find and see a decent private physio if you can afford to, I've sprained my ankles terribly in the past, one time my left leg got caught under my bike when I fell off and my lower leg swelled up and went black and weird colours, and they did wonders on that injury so that it's now back to how it was before. 

As an experiment, after twisting my right ankle enough to make it swell a couple of years ago - but kinda mild in the scheme of things, I left it to see if it'd heal back to how it was before, and it hasn't done quite, so I'm booking some physio soon at the place I go to to have it sorted.  I vaguely wondered whether always being told that I needed treatment when presenting them with an injury was them wanting to make some money, but it seems not to be the case. Note to self to beware of cynicism. 

Post edited at 16:05
OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> A bad sprain can take more recovery than a minor fracture, so don't underestimate it. Take it easy, build back up to feeling okay and then consider exercise for strengthening the muscles around your ankles: standing calf-raises, squats and then one-legged squats. There'll be a load more but they're the ones I've used.

Thanks for this. I’ve read somewhere that whilst a sprained ankle will heal adequately by itself, physio is needed to enable it to regain a decent level of strength. I’m seeing a physio next week about something else entirely so will ask about this. I can feel my fitness waning as most exercise that I do/enjoy is on my feet! Might try swimming. 

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> The best advice I can give is to find and see a decent private physio if you can afford to, I've sprained my ankles terribly in the past, one time my left leg got caught under my bike when I fell off and my lower leg swelled up and went black and weird colours, and they did wonders on that injury so that it's now back to how it was before. 

I’ll certainly bear this in mind. This relates to my initial comment regarding not really knowing how bad an injury this is. It certainly didn’t bruise in the way yours did (this was of some surprise to me, given the pain it caused). There was bruising along the lower outer part of my foot and the rest was a vague yellowy colour. I know to an extent ‘how bad it is’ is relative  but online there is frequent mention of the grade of sprain with grade 3 being pretty serious. I don’t want to trundle on for weeks/months thinking it’s still healing, albeit slowly, and not getting physio early enough. The swelling, after being busy, has been and continues to be the main thing. 

Timmd 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132: My most recent sprain didn't swell for very long, about a day or so, and it's still not quite right. I guess it depends on how individual bodies heal in the end, but perhaps that might help you to gauge it.

Bob Kemp 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

To add to the point about using a wobble board, balance training is a key element in rehab for ankles, and all you need to do is stand on the bad leg to do this. Add an unstable surface like a cushion or pillow or some kind of foam to further develop this. Just make sure you're near a wall or something so you don't stumble.  

cb294 02 Jul 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

Yes this is a good way of taping a sprained ankle for lateral stability. Other options exist but differ only in minor details.

Don't tape the "landmark" and "Fig. 8" sections too tight, and make sure you stand on the "stirrup" before taping the sides (or ask your partner to massage the tape first against your sole and then the outside of your ankle): If the outside part of the stirrup does not immediately come under tension the moment you start the supination movement the whole tape construct becomes useless.

Unfortunately recovery can take a long time, depending in particular on how often you stress or re-injure your ankle: I had to tape up for every single judo training for about two years, going through at least a couple of rolls of tape each week.

CB

kathrync 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

I have a chronically unstable right ankle. I have had the same experience as whoever it was higher up talking about dislocating their ankle at a climbing wall - er, I think three times now.

For recovery, keep it mobile but don't over do it.  Ice it regularly.  Elevate it when you are sitting.  Ibuprofen will keep the swelling down.

Once it stops feeling unstable, anything involving balance is good for rehab.  Wobble boards, or even just standing one one leg (my partner thinks I am strange because I routinely stand on one leg while I am cleaning my teeth - seems like as good a time as any to do it).  Work on mobility too - silly things like drawing the alphabet in the air with your feet while you are watching tv helps.  Think about your shoes - the lower profile and more stable they are, the less likely it is to happen again.  Shoes which give you more feedback are useful too - I go over on my ankle more often in my winter boots than my summer boots because they are stiffer and I can't feel so much through them.  For me personally, proprioception through my footwear is more important than whether they are boots or shoes.  Walking poles have given me a lot more confidence in the hills - definitely recommend.  Taping can also help, but I primarily use it to increase proprioception (repeated damage has knackered the nerves a bit) rather than for support.  I tape such that when my ankle articulates to one side, the tape pulls and I can feel it which gives me some pre-warning and time to adjust.

Doug 02 Jul 2019
In reply to kathrync:

"...my partner thinks I am strange because I routinely stand on one leg while I am cleaning my teeth"

My colleagues accused me of imitating a flamingo when I spent time standing in front of my PC on one leg, occasionally bending my knee &/or ankle. Some strange looks while waiting for trains as well

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to cb294:

> Yes this is a good way of taping a sprained ankle for lateral stability.

This seems stronger than how I’ve been taping it so will certainly try this way. 

> Unfortunately recovery can take a long time, depending in particular on how often you stress or re-injure your ankle: I had to tape up for every single judo training for about two years, going through at least a couple of rolls of tape each week.

Yes, I have a bulk order of rolls of tape!

OP KS132 02 Jul 2019
In reply to kathrync:

Thank you for your advice and useful recommendations. I especially see the benefit of things like drawing the alphabet whilst seated as it makes the ankle work without weighting it. 

marsbar 02 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

Whilst keeping it moving has its benefits I think you may be overdoing it if you are still getting swelling.  

Would it be possible to stay seated at work and elevate your ankle? 

NottsRich 03 Jul 2019
In reply to cb294 & KS132:

> Don't tape the "landmark" and "Fig. 8" sections too tight, and make sure you stand on the "stirrup" before taping the sides (or ask your partner to massage the tape first against your sole and then the outside of your ankle): If the outside part of the stirrup does not immediately come under tension the moment you start the supination movement the whole tape construct becomes useless.

> CB

Yes, if the tension on the tape isn't right then it's hopeless. If don'e right it should literally prevent you from rolling your ankle in the damaged direction. If applied correctly the tape will tear before your ankle is damaged, which takes a lot of force. Stretchy tape can be used, but I prefer normal zinc oxide tape applied correctly, except for getting it off again. Shaving your ankle is probably worthwhile...

Rigid Raider 03 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

Hmmmm... this is interesting. I think I'll try taping some time soon.

cb294 03 Jul 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

Shaving your ankle is overrated. Only makes a difference first time round....

If you use stretchy tape you need too many layers to achieve any noticeable stability. Better to use non stretch tape and rely on shear movement between skin and bone for the minimum of play required.

Edit: I have never seen the tape on a properly taped ankle tear. Good tape is so tear resistant that your thigh bones would break before the tape gives up. This on the other hand I have seen, and a 90 deg kink in a shin bone is not a pretty sight.

CB

Post edited at 11:57
 Fiona Reid 03 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

As others have said it's probably worth letting a physio have a look and seeing if there's any specific exercises/stretches that will help in your particular case. Everyone is different and what helps one person won't always work for another. 

I managed a fairly nasty grade 2 sprain (I turned it towards the outside too) two years back but thankfully a stable one so could continue doing most stuff pain permitting.

My physio advised wearing boots for hill walking for the first few weeks so I gave it a bit of support and didn't turn it again.  I did lots and lots of balance exercises. Initially standing on one foot with eyes closed and also having a ball thrown back and forth (eyes open) on one foot. Once that got too easy I stood on a cushion and from there to a wobble board/cushion. I think the only stretches I did were some calf raises. 

Within 6 weeks I was doing most things but it was still pretty swollen and hurt a fair bit if you jarred/turned it. I was back in trail shoes again on roughish ground in the hills after 8 weeks and back on tussocks after 10-12 weeks. I reckon mine took about 6 months in total to be 99% pain free and go back to its original size and probably nearly a year to feel pretty much 100% again such that I'd forgotten I did it. Ligaments take a damn long time to recover. 

OP KS132 03 Jul 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

> Yes, if the tension on the tape isn't right then it's hopeless. If don'e right it should literally prevent you from rolling your ankle in the damaged direction. If applied correctly the tape will tear before your ankle is damaged, which takes a lot of force. Stretchy tape can be used, but I prefer normal zinc oxide tape applied correctly, except for getting it off again. Shaving your ankle is probably worthwhile...

I taped my ankle (zinc oxide tape) today for a gentle hill walk. This is really proving to offer good support. However, by the end, the tape had loosened with the heat. Perhaps I hadn’t strapped it well enough or pressed the tape to the skin firmly enough. 

OP KS132 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Fiona Reid:

> As others have said it's probably worth letting a physio have a look and seeing if there's any specific exercises/stretches that will help in your particular case. Everyone is different and what helps one person won't always work for another. 

Yes, will speak to the physio next week and seek advice. 

> I managed a fairly nasty grade 2 sprain (I turned it towards the outside too) two years back but thankfully a stable one so could continue doing most stuff pain permitting.

> My physio advised wearing boots for hill walking for the first few weeks so I gave it a bit of support and didn't turn it again.  I did lots and lots of balance exercises. Initially standing on one foot with eyes closed and also having a ball thrown back and forth (eyes open) on one foot. Once that got too easy I stood on a cushion and from there to a wobble board/cushion. I think the only stretches I did were some calf raises. 

I’ve started doing some balance exercises and the wobble board arrived today! 

> Within 6 weeks I was doing most things but it was still pretty swollen and hurt a fair bit if you jarred/turned it. I was back in trail shoes again on roughish ground in the hills after 8 weeks and back on tussocks after 10-12 weeks. I reckon mine took about 6 months in total to be 99% pain free and go back to its original size and probably nearly a year to feel pretty much 100% again such that I'd forgotten I did it. Ligaments take a damn long time to recover. 

I walked today. I did a route I know well and took my time. My ankle is definitely swollen this evening and I’ll ice it shortly. Tussocks certainly seem some way off! Thanks for the info about your injury - interesting to know. 

john arran 03 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

I sprained my ankle once in the early days of Mile End wall. I believe they had the very first purpose-fitted crash mats in the country, which felt great as some of the walls were pretty high. Unfortunately the purpose made mats didn't extend outwards quite far enough and I turned my ankle landing right at the edge of one, spraining it severely in the process.

About a month later I felt just about able to climb again. I still was walking with a pronounced limp but for some reason I could use my weight on climbing holds pretty much as normal, though I was careful to land mainly on my good leg.

Half-way through the evening I fell off from one of the higher walls, confident that there were mats underneath and I could land mainly on one foot. Unfortunately this was on about the only section of wall that wasn't protected by the new matting, and it turned out that under the thin surface mat there was big gap in the thick mats. Needless to say I went over on my 'good' ankle, spraining it severely in the process.

After a good icing I was just about able to make my own way home, with the aid of two walking sticks, my 'bad' leg suddenly promoted to the status of a 'good' leg, albeit with some pain and considerable relief to finally sit down when the tube arrived.

Not my finest hour!

OP KS132 03 Jul 2019
In reply to john arran:

Oh no!! A couple of unfortunate incidents! I always think it’s ‘amusing’ when a badly injured limb is promoted in status due to the demise of the other!

john arran 03 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

Probably could have made a killing at the time were I to have had a good lawyer and no morals. Maybe Mile End Wall has me to thank for its continued existence! (though to be fair the thought would never even have occurred to me at the time, so any morality evident was certainly subconscious!)

Dave the Rave 03 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

The worst thing that you can do is sprain it again. If it is ligamentous then you’re looking at 16 weeks plus before it’s healed. Every re sprain will set that back.

Rest, ice and elevation to reduce the swelling. 

Taping is excellent and wearing more supportive boots too at this stage.

Correct, as others have said, boots won’t strengthen your ankles but you’re looking at not re spraining at this stage. 

Google ankle eversion exercises for ankles, with or without theraband.

Ultimately, proprioception is key, so your wobble board is a fine idea. This will take a long time to develop so in the mean time boots and taping to prevent re injury is suggested. 

OP KS132 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I’m worried about spraining it again and today whilst I was out, I was concentrating on every step. Certainly not wandering along, enjoying the sun, with my mind miles away. Thank you -I’ll google ankle eversion exercises. 

Rigid Raider 04 Jul 2019
In reply to john arran:

> I sprained my ankle once in the early days of Mile End wall. I believe they had the very first purpose-fitted crash mats in the country, which felt great as some of the walls were pretty high. Unfortunately the purpose made mats didn't extend outwards quite far enough and I turned my ankle landing right at the edge of one, spraining it severely in the process.

This was exactly how I dislocated mine at the Sobell wall. The foot was bent inwards at 90 degrees to my leg and the pain was making my vision cloudy. I gingerly moved it to see if I could see what was wrong and with a pop it went straight. I was told afterwards that I manipulated the joint back into place. It still makes me feel a little queasy typing this! 

duchessofmalfi 04 Jul 2019

I used to think a sprained ankle was a little something like a pulled muscle until I did it myself with an awkward fall from only 50cm up.

Whoah it was painful, the sort of thing that required 10 mins flat on my back sweating with nausea and hyperventilating before I could sit up. There was also loud crack heard by all the spectators when I landed so I could have done some other damage. 

It took weeks before I could walk normally and a good six months before I could climb without noticing it.  My advice is avoid Millstone and jamming cracks during the recovery period because that bloody hurt.

RICE seemed to be the thing for relief.

Ffat Boi 04 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

Hi, I sprained my ankle outwards, 3 years ago..I'm now waiting for an operation to reconstruct my tibialis posterior, possible tendon transfer, shaving of a  bit of my heel bone, and drilling into my ankle bone.

Get yourself to an physio as soon as possible!

Cohesive tape worked a bit to keep the swelling down, after that rock tape to keep my foot straight.

Stretching in the morning before getting out of bed and after helped me get through the day. And at the end of the day icing the ankle.

I also carried a can of deep freeze with me for when the pain/swelling got to much.

Good luck!

NottsRich 04 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

> I taped my ankle (zinc oxide tape) today for a gentle hill walk. This is really proving to offer good support. However, by the end, the tape had loosened with the heat. Perhaps I hadn’t strapped it well enough or pressed the tape to the skin firmly enough. 

Zinc oxide tape is sticky anyway, but I've had best results applying it the night before a day in the hills to give it time to stick better. I've worn it inside socks/hiking boots, so a pretty hot/sweaty environment and it's not moved.

Vert 04 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

I sprained my right ankle back at the end of March. I would definitely recommend going to the physio to get specific exercises- you need to keep stretching out the ankle to regain the movement, and then do exercises to build the stability back up. The sooner you start to do this the better. 

Mine turned out not to be too much ligament damage- I tore muscle fibres mostly. I could climb three weeks afterwards, although with some discomfort, and went to Font bouldering five weeks afterwards. I strapped it in Font for a bit of extra stability. My trad climbing/leading is back to where it was before I sprained it- I think this is partially because I did it at any indoor bouldering wall so psychologically my outdoor climbing hasn't been affected.

It still swells slightly when I boulder- because of the impact of jumping down. My physio said it will feel better before it is actually better; so I don't currently have any pain, but they are notorious for taking 6 months- 1 year to be fully recovered (if you don't overdo it before then!)

The recovery period really does depend on the severity of the sprain.

steveriley 04 Jul 2019
In reply to john arran:

> Unfortunately this was on about the only section of wall that wasn't protected by the new matting, and it turned out that under the thin surface mat there was big gap in the thick mats. 

I seem to remember sharing mats at one wall, Liverpool or Oxford Uni I think. Rubbish judo style mats only, but you'd have to do a sanity check before jumping that someone hadn't stealthed the mat to their bit of wall

john arran 04 Jul 2019
In reply to steveriley:

That was completely the norm in pretty much every wall until about 1990. Sometimes, if you were lucky, the hard judo mats would be supplemented by the odd thick mat that was even more prone to being spirited away.

OP KS132 04 Jul 2019
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> I used to think a sprained ankle was a little something like a pulled muscle until I did it myself with an awkward fall from only 50cm up.

I think a few people think this!! Especially those who haven’t suffered from one! I must admit, I wasn’t sure exactly what it was until a few weeks ago when I read up on the correct medical definition of it. 

> Whoah it was painful, the sort of thing that required 10 mins flat on my back sweating with nausea and hyperventilating before I could sit up. 

I fully believe this! It was several minutes before I could gather my thoughts and shuffle on my backside to the edge of the path to try and sit properly! 

OP KS132 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Vert:

> Mine turned out not to be too much ligament damage- I tore muscle fibres mostly. 

How did you find this out? Was it scanned? Mine hasn’t been so I don’t really know the severity of damage I’m trying to heal. 

> The recovery period really does depend on the severity of the sprain.

Is it a case of time will tell how severe the sprain is? 

Thank you for your reply. 

Vert 04 Jul 2019
In reply to KS132:

I went to a private physio- by assessing the movement of the ankle, and feeling the area of swelling they diagnosed that their wasn't really a lot of ligament damage. I think it was basically based on the location of where I felt most pain when the ankle was moved. Mine was just behind the ankle joint, which is why the physio said it was more a muscle fibre injury than ligament damage. Mine was around a grade 2 sprain- couldn't put weight on it for a couple of days, swelling, and a bit of bruising.

Again by going to the physio they would be able to give you an estimation for how severe the sprain is and how long they think it might take. But be aware some people heal more quickly than others!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...