SPOTY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 earlsdonwhu 25 Aug 2019

Bit premature but Mr Stokes must be in with a shout regardless of what happens in next two games.

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Give it to him now. Save the airtime for something worth watching.

T.

Removed User 25 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Trouble is, it's not free to air so nothing like as many saw it as could have done

the sheep 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Listening to TMS however was utterly nail biting stuff

Lusk 25 Aug 2019

I listened to it free on the radio!

Edit @sheep, you didn't need to watch it.

Settling down for the highlights.

Post edited at 18:55
 the sheep 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I know, I love TMS

summo 25 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

If that bloke from Switzerland(or is it Monaco?) wins the driving your car around in circles lots of times contest, then cricket or any other physical sport will lose out. 

Post edited at 19:33
Removed User 25 Aug 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Yes it was-proper edge of seat stuff. Still stand by my point that to attract widespread acclaim (which it more than merits) It has to be seen by a wider audience than pay per view.

balmybaldwin 25 Aug 2019
In reply to summo:

Doubt it this year (which he will win) but i would expect it if he equals Schumi next year.

Only thing I can see stopping Stokes is if we win the Rugby world cup and even then someone (Itoje?) would have to stand out a mile from the rest of the team.

the sheep 25 Aug 2019

It would be lovely, however even when we had sky sports I rarely sat down and watched a test match. Normally TMS would be on in the house or at work which makes it really accessible 

FactorXXX 25 Aug 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Only thing I can see stopping Stokes is if we win the Rugby world cup and even then someone (Itoje?) would have to stand out a mile from the rest of the team.

Or George North.
Or someone from a miraculously recovered Ireland team. 
Or going totally insane, Finn Russell...

Darron 25 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Agree with comments re TMS etc but it depends on whether we win the ashes. If we do today will be seen as a pivotal day in English cricket and Stokes will be SPOTY shoe-in. If not it’s up for grabs.

Lusk 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Darron:

Rubbish, he (almost) won the world cup for the first time singlehandedly.

Darron 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Well you could be right but I would refer you to my “depends” and your “almost”.

Darron 25 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

#shaunacoxey2020

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

No. He's a thug who beats people in the street. 

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Apart from his incredible match winning achievements his advantage over people like Jasmin Paris and Nicky Spinks is that his sport is more high profile.

Lusk 26 Aug 2019
In reply to becauseitsthere:

> No. He's a thug who beats people in the street. 

Yawn!

Michael Hood 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Well his cricketing efforts are pretty exciting and amazing but his after hours exploits show that he's maybe not the nicest person around.

Still at least it shows he's got a personality.

One of the things that's wrong with SPOTY is that too often the winner has zero personality. Sporting achievements yes, but personality -  more like media zombies. Bradley Wiggins was a nice exception.

OP earlsdonwhu 26 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Apparently, Paddy Power bookies think it is a foregone conclusion. 

Bulls Crack 26 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Do they have SPOTY in Ireland?

FactorXXX 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Do they have SPOTY in Ireland?

Individuals from Northern and Southern Ireland have won it, so I guess that someone playing for the Ireland Rugby team should be able to win it.
Not 100% sure though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...