Spartacus no more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr.S at work 06 Feb 2020

Pretty good innings, and some amazing films - RIP Kirk Douglas

Tom Valentine 06 Feb 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Prepare a funeral for a viking.

OP Dr.S at work 06 Feb 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Ah, that was the film I was thinking of - watched it a month or so ago!

Pefa 06 Feb 2020

He was amazing as Vincent Van Gogh to. 

RIP to a real gentleman of Hollywood. 

felt 06 Feb 2020

The Heroes of Telemark for me.

Welsh Kate 06 Feb 2020

Disappointed that I had to get my (Ancient History) students to google him to find out who he is. And we're just doing gladiatorial games at the moment and are watching a bit of Spartacus in the next couple of days!

Natalie Wood ! This man was not great. Great men don't rape and scar women for thier lives.

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Speculation after someone has died.

Mark Edwards 06 Feb 2020

I am Spartacus.

Anything but speculation 

Could you direct me to a source which contains Wood's  actual allegation, as opposed to a bit of third party hearsay?

angry pirate 06 Feb 2020
In reply to felt:

We watched that in a chalet in Rjukan after a day ice climbing in the gorge. Very atmospheric!

RIP

felt 06 Feb 2020
In reply to angry pirate:

It was on telly the other day in the UK. The Coen Brothers could do a modern version.

Do your homework Tom. Have you not heard of #metoo and the way Hollywood worked for years.  The allegations arose many years ago. 

Post edited at 20:03
 andyman666999 06 Feb 2020

Think that there is a lot of stuff on the internet about this. Think the allegations been about for a while but no proof. Not to say it didn’t happen but no way of knowing as everyone’s dead. 
seems to revolve around someone claiming to be Robert Downey jr on a chat/gossip site in 2012 - can’t claim that as evidence really.  If it did happen - glad that I live in this era.  

Post edited at 20:30
 Padraig 06 Feb 2020

For me it was "Lonely are the Brave". 

Altho tbh the real star was the horse. 

Rob Exile Ward 06 Feb 2020

Can't help thinking a charismatic, beautiful well known actor probably didn't have to struggle very hard to have a sh*g, so given the other evidence we know about Douglas - e.g. his espousal of liberal causes ALL HIS LIFE - makes this all rather improbable.

I've done my homework. That's why I asked you to provide a source where Natalie Wood's allegations were actually written down for people to examine. If your "evidence" is the blog by someone implying that he's Robert Downey with insider information then I hope I'm never on trial with you in the jury.

Yes I have heard of #metoo but I didn't realise that it meant automatically guilty on the part of the alleged offender.

Yes I know the way the Hollywood system worked but the casting couch scenario is a lot different from the sort of violent attack alleged to have taken place by people such as yourself.

Ultimately, you have absolutely no more idea if Douglas is guilty of the offence than I have. To change my mind you would have to furnish better evidence.

Bob Kemp 07 Feb 2020

There's a lovely Guardian interview piece here:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/12/kirk-douglas-i-never-thought-i...

This quote may be worth considering in the light of the Wood allegations and Rob's point:

'At one point he fretted to his analyst that he thought he might be impotent after a disappointing encounter the night before.

“You tell me that you had sex 29 nights in a row with different girls. On the 30th, you say you’re impotent,” his doctor replied drily. “You know, even God rested after six days.”'

Pete Pozman 09 Feb 2020

> Prepare a funeral for a viking.

youtube.com/watch?v=wn6pl343p9A&

Tom Valentine 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Pete Pozman:

There are worse ways to bow out.

Theseboots 16 Feb 2020

Ulysses... destroyer of cities, sacker of Troy, son of Laertes and King of Ithaca!!!

Heroes of Telemark, The Vikings... RIP Kirk Douglas- the greatest movie inspiration of my boyhood,what an immortal legend. Very sad at his passing.

... and I'm Spartacus!! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...