Snow Socks recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Afternoon people, hope you are enjoying the onset of Spring.....

Im after some recommendations please.  I am driving to Tignes in a couple of weeks for a bit of late season skiing and so I am looking for some recommendations please.  I havent bought these before so no idea where to start.  I have a xDrive 5 Series Estate 2017 new model if this is relevant with:

275/30 R20 rear

245/35 R20 front

What should I be looking for and what prices?

Thanks

Richard

NottsRich 25 Mar 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Check the requirements for winter tyres and chains for where and when you're going. I'm not sure if snow socks meet the requirements.

In reply to NottsRich:

Ive been advised that sock plus spikes at the rear would work.  How would I find out and do I need snow tyres too as well as chains/socks/spikes?

Rob Naylor 26 Mar 2019

I use Autosocks. Think they cost me about £50 for a pair (on the drive wheels only) about 4 years ago. Used them several times and still in excellent condition. They've worked very well for me. 

TomGB 26 Mar 2019

There's no snow on the road to Tignes so you won't actually need them tbh (a late season dump sufficient to make the roads dangerous again is very unlikely but not impossible I suppose). It isn't compulsory but highly advisable to have winter tyres driving in the haute savoie from 15 October to 15 April though and if you do happen to be driving in snow there really is no substitute. I'm 99% sure chains (not socks) are compulsory though. 

I live in Cham and have winter tyres on a 4x4 Octavia estate and they bash through anything, never needed to use the chains I have in the boot. Only Parisians ever have snow socks. Winter tyres + Chains is the way

Post edited at 08:33
 whenry 26 Mar 2019

I've just got back from the Alps - there was snow on the roads on when it snowed a couple of Sundays ago, but not a huge amount and it was cleared very quickly. I took snow socks - Halfords own - (as my car can't take chains), but no need to use them at all. You do have to have carry chains or socks with the French approval marking, but you won't need to use them. You'll probably be fine without winter tyres too - though if you're parking in a private car park it may be quite icy or snowy and then they might help.

Don't use spiked tyres - you can't use them most of the time.

nniff 26 Mar 2019

Winter tyres and chains - bite the bullet and buy the tyres and swap them in spring and late late autumn.  BMW will store them for you for about £50 a swap if you have rims on them - probably more if they need to be refitted.  Most tyre centres will swap a set over for £40 if you store the tyres at home.  If your car has permanent AWD, chains go on the front.   If it switches some wheels' drive off you'll need to a check the manufacturer's recommendation.   Chains last forever - we have numerous sets at home which come back into fashion as cars come and go.  Standard tyres and chains is pretty good but you'll have to fit the chains when a winter tyre will just drive on through

john arran 26 Mar 2019
In reply to nniff:

> Winter tyres and chains - bite the bullet and buy the tyres and swap them in spring and late late autumn. 

He's only going for two weeks and there probably won't be any snow on the roads when he gets there!

We tried snow socks this year for the first time, and were very impressed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...