Small van....Berlingo, Transit Connect??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 17 Apr 2019

I'm looking at getting a small van. From just an internet search and looking at vans in carparks etc I'm thinking of the Berlingo or Transit Connect. I'll be looking at getting the L2 version with the longer load bay.

I want it to transport bikes in without the faff of bike carriers or taking wheels off etc. I'll also probably sleep in it occasionally.

Any views on these vans or alternative recommendations?

Thanks

Billhook 17 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I had a Vauxhall combi.  Just long enough to sleep on a bench on the passenger side -I'm 5ft 10inch.  Very economical and just like a car to drive.  Getting a bike in it is easy.

OP abr1966 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Billhook:

Thanks.....same van as the berlingo I think! Hows the insurance/tax etc?

cb294 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Billhook:

+1, even for two bikes or, if you turn the handle bars, three, with the wide section or the rear seats folded down. Transporting bikes is what I miss most from my Berlingo times.

CB

Tigger 17 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Depending on what are Ford Connect your looking at the mpg use to be a bit naff, not much (if any) better than my Vito.

Neil Williams 18 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

> Thanks.....same van as the berlingo I think! Hows the insurance/tax etc?

Not quite the same, it's Corsa-derived, whereas the Berlingo/Peugeot Partner/Rifter are based on a PSA van platform.  Though now PSA own Vauxhall I would expect it to go that way.

*Edit* looks like the newest model already has.

Post edited at 09:26
 krikoman 18 Apr 2019
In reply to Billhook:

> I had a Vauxhall combi.  Just long enough to sleep on a bench on the passenger side -I'm 5ft 10inch.  Very economical and just like a car to drive.  Getting a bike in it is easy.

I've got a Fiat Doblo Combi Crew Van (5 seater), the Vauxhall, is a badge Fiat. MPG around 45 Mpg on the 2 litre engine.

Sleeping and bikes are both possible with rear seat (split folding) folded down.

It has the advantage (tax) /disadvantage (speed Limits) of being a commercial vehicle, if that helps you.

Post edited at 23:04
 nathan79 18 Apr 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Tax is a big downside. My Berlingo tax is double my car.

A good upside of the Berlingo(and it's siblings) is no speed limitation.

Jon Stewart 19 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I hated my 1.6 diesel 08 Peugeot partner (berlingo) because it broke down twice a week and it rattled like bastard when I turned the stereo up to audible levels. If there was any kick drum in music, the windows fell out.

The tourneo connect (same size as berlingo, smaller than transit connect) is much much better. Way more comfortable, drives great on the motorway, but struggles more than the partner uphill. I'm quite fond of it, no problems yet (2014, 40k miles). 

krikoman 20 Apr 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> Tax is a big downside. My Berlingo tax is double my car.

> A good upside of the Berlingo(and it's siblings) is no speed limitation.

Sorry , wrong end of the stick, on my part, the company bought the van, so I get the use of it,  but it's not a company car, it's a van so tax burden on me is less. I meant income tax rather than road tax, but you're right on that.

In reply to abr1966:

I'd get the van my mechanic was best able to fix. I have a Transit Connect 07 which is good, I like how boxy it is and my mechanic can get me Ford parts at trade. Just bear in mind if you're in a LWB High Roof it can't always fit into sub 2m barrier car parks. 

mik82 21 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I've got an old shape LWB/hi top transit connect. There's a lot of space in the back and the 110ps version has plenty of power. If you're sleeping in it the load bay is long enough (I'm 6ft, there's plenty of space for a small double mattress).  

Post edited at 21:17
 Ian Ackerley 22 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I've got a 2011 VW Caddy Maxi with 1.6l TDI 102ps engine.

Without a bed it'll take 3 bikes. It sleeps 2 people easily - the back is 2.2m long inside with the bulkhead still in so my 6 foot 6 friend had no issues sleeping in the back. 40-45 mpg depending on how I drive and on what roads.

I'm happy with it. Seems well put together and drives well. I get it serviced at a local independent garage now because it's cheaper, closer and I get better service than the VW van centre.

Also - the ex British gas ones are a nice blue colour if you like that sort of thing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...