Sloes in the Peak - help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 10 Sep 2018

A dodgy knee means a 4-day Peak trip next week is going to be a bit sedentary and lonely.

Anyone fancy PMing me a good spot to pick sloes?  I'll be staying near Edale/Hope area.

Thanks!

robert-hutton 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

Wheatlands lane between Baslow and Hasop about 1 mile on right from Baslow end, loads

arch 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

You'll be lucky, that's like giving away the whereabouts of your favorite wildcamp spot.

They've come early around here. Lots already been picked. Bit early IMO. But if you snooze, you lose.

Andy Hardy 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

I walked past loads of sloes on Sunday about SK 165 703 not far from the car park on the A6 at the end of Monsal Dale

Phil Anderson 11 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

I wouldn't worry too much... Just get out to somewhere with hedgerows and if you don't find sloes (and you probably will anyway tbh) then your bound to find blackberries / rosehips / apples / damsons / something!

I keep seeing wild hops this year - way more than any other year although maybe I'm just more tuned in to seeing them.

McHeath 11 Sep 2018
In reply to arch:

>  But if you snooze, you lose.

ie don't be a sloecoach!

oldie 11 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

Any tips on what to use sloes for that don't necessitate expensive spirits or huge amounts of sugar? It would seem to be a barely used natural resource (for obvious reasons). 

marsbar 11 Sep 2018
In reply to oldie:

They are very tart so they do need some sugar.  You can make chutney with them.  

MG 11 Sep 2018
In reply to oldie:

Put a handful in apple crumble. 

Bulls Crack 11 Sep 2018
In reply to Phil Anderson:

Except sloes tend to be more abundant on alkaline/neutral soils. Not so many in grit areas

Bulls Crack 11 Sep 2018
In reply to marsbar:

I've just harvested about 4 kilos of Bullace (wild plum)   - 1.5 litres of gin on the go + 10 pots of superb jam  

wintertree 11 Sep 2018
In reply to oldie:

> Any tips on what to use sloes for that don't necessitate expensive spirits or huge amounts of sugar?

If you boil them down you might get a strong purple dye for cloth?  

You might also try boiling them for juice and reducing it down five to ten fold with only a smattering or sugar, then using that as a cordial with water or champagne.  I’m enjoying my tart plum cordial made with stewing juices after freezing a batch.

Post edited at 22:10
 Fozzy 11 Sep 2018
In reply to oldie:

> Any tips on what to use sloes for that don't necessitate expensive spirits or huge amounts of sugar? It would seem to be a barely used natural resource (for obvious reasons). 

Just use cheap spirits. 70cl of gin is only around £8-10, and as it’s just a base, it doesn’t matter if it’s not the best gin in the world. I used Lidl cheapo gin for mine and I’ve never had cause to complain. 

Rampikino 11 Sep 2018
In reply to Fozzy:

Yep - basic gin, cheap as you like. The sloes (or damsons or bullaces) will transform it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...