Skye and Hebrides holiday recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 10 Apr 2019

Heading up end of April/beginning of May in a van for 2 weeks. Only thing ive got on my to-do list so far is some scrambling around the Cuillin (The SMC guidebook to skye has just arrived) 

Does anyone have any recommendations for things to see or do? (climbing/outdoors related or not) 

Rough plan at the moment is Skye first off. Island hop down the hebrides.

Dave the Rave 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

I’ll c u next Tuesday

OP Kemics 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

What's your problem? 

elsewhere 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Had a great non climbing holiday on Lewis.

Luskentyre beach

Callanish standing stones

Dun carloway broch

Various other beaches

An lanntair

Post edited at 21:54
 Dave the Rave 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

> What's your problem? 

You’ll be there before me.

OP Kemics 11 Apr 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Great, thank you. Nice to have some non climbing things to do. I figure there's a good chance of less than ideal weather. Im trying to decide whether to include Uist and Barra or whether Skye and Lewis will be enough to fill 2 weeks

girlymonkey 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

The Uists are a little barren if poor weather, but Barra and Vatersay are well worth going to. I spent a couple of pleasant evenings on a tiny wee campsite on Barra watching the sun set as Dolphins played in the sea. 😊

Wainers44 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

We did Harris and the Uists (after Orkney) last year in the van. Absolutely wonderful trip. Bit of a long drive up from Devon but worth it! Lewis is OK, but we love Harris... 

Highlights.. 

Horgabost campsite

Leverburgh Butty Bus

Berneray, and the beaches behind Borve...and many more

Will have a think and give you a better list later!

pasbury 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

The B887 - follow it to the end - a little bit of heaven.

dread-i 11 Apr 2019
In reply to pasbury:

I remember driving that in the dark, with the fuel light on, with a big drop to the sea appearing frequently. Then the castle appeared like something out of a Horror film.

If you get to the end, you can camp on the beach. There is now a toilet block and a room to sit in and take in the view, for when your tent has blown away. If you look really hard, and squint a bit, you can see Canada...

You can also camp at Uig sands on Lewis. Though it is not quite a wild as it was. Horgabost on Harris is a good campsite. You can also follow the road round the bottom of the island in a loop.

tobyk 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

The outer Hebrides are great, Harris in particular is a favourite (been there three times) Lewis is great aswell, especially the west side near Uig sands, Valtos and Reef. The Uists are good too, especially the hills on the east side of south Uist, heckla etc, very remote with no paths. In a word the outer Hebrides are brilliant! April/May are generally good times to be up there aswell

Removed User 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

I'd certainly include the Uists and Benbecula. The hills in South Uist are well worth doing with the view from Hecla to the North being quite remarkable.

Barra and Vattersay are nice, gentler than the islands to the North and smaller and if you feel you can't fit in the whole set I'd leave these for another trip.

In reply to Kemics:

I may be biased as I lived there for a year, but the Isle of Coll is beautiful. Quite small and not much by way of climbing but the beaches are stunning and there probably won't be anyone else in view. Can be good for surfing too.

It's about a 3 hour ferry from Oban, can be coupled with a visit to Tiree.

Cog 11 Apr 2019
In reply to FunesTheMemorious:

The climbing on Coll is great.

In reply to Cog:

I stand corrected! (I lived there before I started climbing sadly)

daWalt 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Mangersta on Harris is worth a visit, even just to take a wander allong the cliff-tops.

western Isles are great just for chilling out on the beach in the sun (it's always sunny in the westen isles; but it's a big secret so don't tell anyone).

I woudl be tempted to take a snorkle, and a wet suit, next time I go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...