Skoda Superb issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Jan 2023

It had to happen! We're in Chamonix at the moment and it's baltic. Tried to start our diesel Superb this morning and it wouldn't; used a battery pack and it started OK but initially sounded rough, though calmed down.

However a warning light stayed on - the 'exhaust inspection system' warning. Frankly this doesn't sound very mission critical, and the car seemed fine on a 20 mile round trip. However the manual says it will be running in a limited mode and it should be seen by a dealer as soon as possible. Thing is, we're in France and would really like to get home sooner rather than later (though the snow is fantastic!

Any comments? In particular, is it worth risking driving home and getting the issue fixed there?

nikoid 22 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

If your battery is old/weak it could be causing all sorts of spurious warnings. 

SiWood 22 Jan 2023

I had the same issue on my Octavia Scout about 2 hours south of Calais on the way home after new year. The engine goes into safe mode which limits the power (particularly worrying on small uphill sections of the M25 in heavy rain). Rather weirdly the problem went away by next day and hasn’t reoccurred. Manual says it could have been a number of things (without specifying) so I think the warning light is just an indicator of safe mode. I suspect it may have been build up of carbon or dirty fuel but then again I am a complete mechanical numpty !

Tony & Sarah 22 Jan 2023

What engine and  what model, Mark 1, 2 or 3?

Bob Kemp 22 Jan 2023

Are you seeing any unusual dashboard warning lights? Apart from the exhaust one I should say. 

Post edited at 19:00
 Wally 22 Jan 2023

We have an 2013 superb. Agree with the comment on old battery. 
for the foreseeable problem we had that warning light after letting the car idle (10mins) to warm up one winter. Haven’t done that since and warning light never returned. I think something got too hot. 

as for limp home mode. We drove 200+ miles over 4 journeys in limp home mode to get back home under an engine warning light. That turned out to be the egr value! Not a cheap bit to replace. 

my guess is you will be fine but listen to your car and your gut and try and do it in as few stops as possible. 

In reply to Tony & Sarah:

2l diesel, 2015 model - don't know much more I'm afraid.

Derek Furze 22 Jan 2023

On a side issue, I hope you've been drinking plenty of my brother's beer... Hope the trip home works well

In reply to Bob Kemp:

I've had a warning light about direction indicators for 2 years, but no Skoda dealer has ever been able to fix it!

Bob Kemp 22 Jan 2023

Ha, yes, I have a mystery warning like that too! No particulate warning light then?

ben b 22 Jan 2023

Have an Octavia and a Superb diesel estate (the AWD) and when random flat battery issues occur the lights usually come on. My suggestion would be replace the battery if it’s on its last legs and it will probably fix the warning light. I had to replace the battery last year and when the new one was in the light disappeared after about ten minutes. 

good luck

b

Tony & Sarah 22 Jan 2023

It is a Mark 3, don't know much about these. We have a late Mark 2, could be ERG valve, this will often clear after a long run. A good source of information is the Skoda forum Briskoda.net . If it was us we would drive home as normal and not worry about it.

IainL 22 Jan 2023

Have you filled up with winter diesel since arriving in Chamonix? Really cold temps thickens normal diesel.

Rog Wilko 22 Jan 2023
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

That ERG group is nothing but trouble.

In reply to Derek Furze:

Hi Derek, does your brother have a brewery here in Cham? That could be an important factor....

This is great folks, thanks for all the input. I *think* we'll try to get home, warning light or no...

Derek Furze 22 Jan 2023

He does indeed.  The brewery is half an hour away, but he supplies throughout the valley 

birdie num num 22 Jan 2023

I get an engine management light come up from time to time and took it to the garage...It's a faulty O2 sensor on the exhaust.

I bought an OBD reader off eBay (£20) and cleared the warning light subsequently, it hasn't come back on since. 
at least with an OBD reader you can check if its something critical. 

Sam W 23 Jan 2023

A note for Skoda drivers with an EGR light on.  Our Mk2 Octavia had this problem, our local, very knowledgable, Skoda independent said we could have it fixed for £500ish or just ignore it.  We did another 50,000 miles in that car with the warning light on, I could never tell any difference and it passed multiple MOTs.  The major risk with this approach is that if you have another engine fault, as the light's already on, you may not realise.

Richard Horn 23 Jan 2023

We have a 2016 Superb - it seems like almost every long journey we have taken it on there is a beep and the dashboard lights up with something. Its reliability has not been especially amazing...

mchardski 23 Jan 2023

My mechanic cousin once advised me that in cold weather I should always keep my diesel tank more than half full. Its to do with limiting amount of water condensation inside the tank. I was driving a 2007 vivaro. It seemed to help with weird cold weather grumbles.

As others have said make sure you've filled up with the local cold weather treated diesel.

montyjohn 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Sam W:

> We did another 50,000 miles in that car with the warning light on, I could never tell any difference and it passed multiple MOTs.

It's suppose to fail an MOT with an emissions related light on unless this was some time ago. Can't remember when they changes the rules.

montyjohn 23 Jan 2023

I'm going to guess a dodgy battery.

It's probably not the DPF as I think they have a seperate warning for that.

Unsure on EGR, I would have thought that would trigger the engine management light?

My guess is the dodge voltage triggered a bad Lambda sensor reading and threw a code.

You may need the codes clearing after you've replaced the battery. See if it comes back, and then use the code reader to troubleshoot the problem further.

A cheap code reader is £20 and pays for itself on it's first use. Just get one. No reason not to. Very handy for clearing and reading codes.

In reply to montyjohn:

Well thanks for all the advice folks, here's an update. Despite another freezing night, this morning the car started straight away and ... no warning light! Even though yesterday it always came on after every stop/start. So now we're coming back and all seems well ... ( fingers crossed).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...