Sinn Féin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 10 Feb 2020

I have no grasp on the political parties of Ireland. My view of Sinn Féin has maybe been tainted by the British press and how they are portrayed to us. So, are they just a left wing party or do they still have terrorist links? Sounds like the other larger Irish parties aren't keen on them.

In reply to girlymonkey:

> My view of Sinn Féin has maybe been tainted by the British press and how they are portrayed to us. So, are they just a left wing party or do they still have terrorist links? Sounds like the other larger Irish parties aren't keen on them.

Both are true.

I have a lot of misgivings about them and wouldn't vote for them.

They do still have links to the IRA but the IRA aren't active, there is a ceasefire in place.

If you take their policies on face value and are left wing then you would be inclined to vote for them. Many people just have , especially younger people who don't remember the horrors of "The Troubles"

I personally don't think they are ready to come in from the cold but feel a bit conflicted because we should be glad that they have turned away from armed conflict and at some stage have to acknowledge that they are a legitimate political party.

You're right the the main parties aren't keen on them, with good reason as the IRA were an illegal paramilitary force here south of the border very recently as well.

People have voted left, not just Sinn Fein but  the Greens , People Before Profit, and the Social Democrats have all done well. 

They, Sinn Feinn, do not have enough seats to form a government on their own as they didn't stand in all constituencies but they have earned the right to have a say in the next government. 

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

One thing I am glad about is the utter failure of the right wing parties to gain any traction at all. 

Doug 10 Feb 2020
In reply to Punter S Thompson:

> They, Sinn Feinn, do not have enough seats to form a government on their own as they didn't stand in all constituencies but they have earned the right to have a say in the next government. 

They did have candidates in each constituency but the Irish have a PR system with several TDs per

constituency (5 or 6 from memory). Sinn Feinn had 42 candidates for the 160 seats.

In reply to Doug:

You're right, I meant to say they didn't contest every seat.

The number of seats varies, depending on the size of the constituency.

They ran 42 candidates across the 39 constituencies.

OP girlymonkey 10 Feb 2020

I guess the strength of the PR system is that the people who voted for them should get a voice, but they won't have free reign to do what they like. Maybe this will be good for their socially progressive policies while still protecting people from extremism

In reply to girlymonkey:

That's pretty much what I hope for.

wercat 10 Feb 2020

one hopes they had no links to the group who plotted a lorry born Brexit day attack on the mainland using the ferry from Northern Ireland.

Didn't make many headlines except our regional news.

One hopes they had a part in foiling the plot but I suppose we'll never know

pec 10 Feb 2020

>  . . . .  at some stage have to acknowledge that they are a legitimate political party.

32 seconds in

youtube.com/watch?v=w6UhXivPyw4&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...