This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricky Dicky 27 Mar 2020

Apologies if this has been done, but I haven't seen it here.

To help researchers track the spread of COVID 19, you can download an app to your phone. I struggled to find it in Google Play store but if you search for "C19 COVID SYMPTOM TRACKER" in your browser you should be able to find it. https://covid.joinzoe.com/

You then reply every day to say if you are feeling well or not and it helps to researchers to plot the spread of the virus.

Trythallj 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

Bump.

Trythallj 01 Apr 2020

The researchers ( Imperial College London) are particularly short of people aged 60+.

ianstevens 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Trythallj:

Almost like they've limited their sample by using a medium those of 60 don't interact with quite as much as those under 60...

Trythallj 01 Apr 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

That is why it important to promulgate it on the internet on, eg ukc, where there are over 60's online. 

wercat 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Trythallj:

because we don't have phones - does it work if I install android on a laptop?

Trythallj 01 Apr 2020
In reply to wercat:

Don't know. I'm 72!

But I'll pop down to the Derby and Joan Club and put up a notice... oh, forgot, they are not open now because of the pandemic.

tom r 01 Apr 2020

There are android emulators for windows like bluestacks, but no idea if you could get that app to work on it. They should really have a web version of it.

Trythallj 01 Apr 2020
In reply to wercat:

But more usefully, this is from the FAQ from ICL:-

Q   Will you be launching a web based version of the app for those without smartphones?

A   Although this is not currently available, we intend to do so as soon as we have the resources. We realise that it is important for those who do not have smartphones.

wercat 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Trythallj:

I thought you meant ICL for a moment (big orange, white and brown computers).  That seems sensible - given we can't go out much.  I did intend to try out Android on an old laptop - might be the time now!

Mark Edwards 01 Apr 2020

Thanks you. I couldn’t get it from Play Store and didn’t think to use the browser.

In reply to wercat:

Bit weird that they chose to develop an app, rather than a web page. I suppose an app might be more easily traceable to an individual, with implicit opt-in, avoiding cookie privacy issues. Or they want to avoid the possibility of spurious data from some spanbots.

Or they had a student keen to learn android app development...

Post edited at 11:18
 freeflyer 01 Apr 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Bit weird that they chose to develop an app, rather than a web page.

It can depend on the skills available. Dev houses these days need multiple teams - Android, iOS, web, backend. It's a bit of a nightmare, especially if you're an academic institution with limited technical resources.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...