Should my mum be worried

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WaterMonkey 01 Feb 2021

My mum is a born worrier and I’m hoping some people on here can help me persuade her not to worry.

She’s American and has lived in the UK since 1957. She’s married to my British father and has permanent residency, registered with a GP etc but has an American passport.

Shes 71 tomorrow, is clinically vulnerable and is worried that she won’t get a vaccine letter due to what Matt Hancock said about all British citizens will be offered the vaccine.

Ive reminded her that she got a letter telling her to shield so I’m sure she’ll get one about the vaccine. 
It didn’t help that Dad got a letter today, but he is older at 74.

Can anybody help me put her at ease?

Philip 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Amazing how little advice there is on this. Presumably she has as an NHS number, you'd think that would be enough to be in the list.

Lankyman 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

One of my brothers lives in America. Next week he's taking his son and friend skiing. That's how seriously they're taking covid in her homeland. Tell her to be grateful she's not there.

profitofdoom 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> My mum is a born worrier and I’m hoping some people on here can help me persuade her not to worry...... 

> Can anybody help me put her at ease?

Sorry to hear about the doubt / dilemma. I can't give an answer (typical UKC, eh?) but can I just add that I, in that situation, would immediately phone my GP and ask about it, and keep bothering them until they definitely answered. It's very important, after all (I know you're not supposed to call the GP about Covid vaccination, but I think your case justifies it)

Sorry for the (non-) help but that's my idea

Good luck

marsbar 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

If it helps my Dad is 75 and got his letter almost 2 weeks ago.  Mum is 70 and hasn’t had her letter yet.  Both British citizens.  They are going by age when they send out the letters.  

Does she qualify for NHS treatment or does she pay when she sees the GP?  

I assume that as a permanent resident with a British husband she will be fine. 

OP WaterMonkey 01 Feb 2021
In reply to marsbar:

Yes she gets NHS treatment free and got her shielding letter so I’m sure she’ll be fine. I just can’t find much online about it.

Given there must be many non British elderly people I’m sure we’d have heard if they weren’t being offered jabs by now!

marsbar 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> The NHS operates a residence-based healthcare system.

> Most NHS services operates a residence-based healthcare system. Most NHS services are free to people who are ordinarily resident in the UK.

> Being ordinarily resident is not dependent on nationality, payment of UK taxes, National Insurance (NI) contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS Number or owning property in the UK.

> Ordinarily resident means living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being, and you'll be asked to prove this.

This is all I can find, it’s not specific to the vaccine but I think she will be fine.  I expect politicians talking about British Citizens is just making a bit of a political noise. 

mondite 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

I would assume if she is registered with the NHS etc she will be fine. All the references I have seen are simply to the UK population. Leaving everything else aside since vaccinations are about herd immunity and also reducing the burden on the NHS it doesnt make sense to exclude people based on passport (unless you are just going to throw them out of the country instead).

My dad has kept with his Irish citizenship but got the jab last week.

Post edited at 19:51
 coinneach 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

My elderly ( Irish ) MIL has dementia and we found the best way to get confirmation of her vaccination appointment was to e mail her local surgery to get the details.

That may be your best option rather than phoning.

In reply to marsbar:

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I guess that’s why there’s not much info, because it’s the standard NHS treatment rules.

Trangia 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

If she is registered with a GP, I'm sure she will get it. 

I am 76 (77 this coming Saturday), as I understood it my local area was still concentrating on the over 80s, and I wasn't expecting to be called for another week or so. So I was pleasantly surprised when I got a text from my surgery last Tuesday inviting me to attend the local vaccine centre. I was offered 4 time slots, 1 for last Thursday and 3 for last Friday. I chose Thursday and duly attended getting my first dose of the Pfiser vaccine then. 

It was all incredibly slick, well managed and straightforward. 

There was a mix of age groups attending, so I don't think the centres are rigidly differentiating within the first 4 categories.

As I understand it some areas are getting well ahead of other areas, so many of the vaccine centres are now contacting everyone over 70, others are a few days behind.

Based on this I don't think your Mum needs to worry, particularly as she has already heard from her GP's surgery concerning shielding which indicates that she is on their radar.

mik82 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

If she's a UK resident, is registered with a GP and has got an NHS number then don't worry about it. She'll get vaccinated. There's no need to ring the GP.

Removed User 01 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

I think she will be fine in terms of getting the vaccine but, as an aside, she should still be filing US tax returns.

In reply to Removed User:

> I think she will be fine in terms of getting the vaccine but, as an aside, she should still be filing US tax returns.

Even though she doesn’t work?

In reply to marsbar:

>  I expect politicians talking about British Citizens is just making a bit of a political noise. 

More brilliant communication, eh...?

Removed User 02 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> Even though she doesn’t work?

That's a good question. I'm not sure how often she travels back to the US but it might be worth her finding out. My understanding is that ALL US citizens must file a tax return. This is a relatively new thing so not everyone is aware of it. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-ab...

Offwidth 02 Feb 2021
In reply to Trangia:

The mix of ages will be due to front line staff and vulnerable people under 70.

Removed User 02 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

If you want a definitive answer the best thing to do may be to ring your MP's office.

Wimlands 02 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

My Mum arrived back in the UK from France just before Christmas and registered at a doctors surgery giving a UK address as her residence first week of January.

She had her first jab last week organised by that surgery.

I’m sure your Mum will be fine.

Neil Williams 02 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

If she is registered with an NHS GP then she will certainly get called in due course.

If she isn't, it would be a good idea to do so to ensure she isn't missed accidentally.

Post edited at 13:02
 mullermn 02 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Get her to try this. If she’s eligible she should be able to book herself in, I believe.

https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

I got my (70+) MIL to do this on Friday last week and she received her first dose on Monday. Letter inviting her arrived in the post while she was out receiving it. 

mick taylor 02 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Hancock was wrong to use the phrase ‘British Citizens’, he just fancied some jingoism. The least the govt (and society) needs is a load of folk not being given the vaccine, and I believe all asylum seekers will be offered the jab (and none of them are British Citizens).  I know two people older than your mum who have just got their appointment dates.

marsbar 02 Feb 2021
In reply to marsbar:

Mums's letter arrived today.  So 2 weeks or so since Dad's.  

Hope that gives her an idea of timings.  

OP WaterMonkey 02 Feb 2021
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks,

It's her birthday today so I'll try and put her mind at ease when I drop off her card, from across the path of course!

profitofdoom 02 Feb 2021
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> Even though she doesn’t work?

Just saying, loads of people have income of all kinds whether they work or not - from shares, rental property, etc. I'm not talking about your Mum specifically of course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...