Sexist Guinness World Records

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 05 May 2019
 ianstevens 05 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

You'd think someone going for a niche "world record" would be able to read all the information and comply in 2019, agreed  

FactorXXX 05 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> One might think we were beyond this sort of thing:

What is the problem?
The rule was made when the record was first established and any subsequent record attempts have to be done in a similar fashion to count.

OP Offwidth 05 May 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

She ran the race in a nurses uniform. That Guinness feel the need to define this in a sexist way as wearing a skirt (which will have no effect whatsoever on the time) is something they themselves have admitted needs looking at. You continue living in your bubble by all means.

FactorXXX 05 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> She ran the race in a nurses uniform. That Guinness feel the need to define this in a sexist way as wearing a skirt (which will have no effect whatsoever on the time) is something they themselves have admitted needs looking at. You continue living in your bubble by all means.

She wasn't running the race as a nurse, but rather a parody of a nurse and most people recognise that as being the old fashioned nurses uniform of dress and bib, etc.
It's supposed to be a bit of fun and not as an advert for the nursing profession.
Similarly, someone running as a firefighter would do it in the recognisable clothing of a 'frontline' firefighter and not one that works in say the stores.
I also assume that she wore running shoes as opposed to the shoes that nurses should wear.

In reply to Offwidth:

> which will have no effect whatsoever on the time

Actually, I think running a skirt would easier than running in trousers...

Moley 05 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I think you and the Guardian are taking this a little too seriously.

FactorXXX 05 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Here's an article on various records broken during the London Marathon:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2019/4/all-the-records-broken-at-...

Notice how each category is represented by a parody of that category and not an actual realistic representation of it.

Moley 05 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Hang on, now this from the BBC news.

Officials told Jessica Anderson that its criteria for a nurse uniform also involved a pinafore and cap, but tights were optional. 

She ran the London Marathon knowing that her time would not count. 

I really don't get what the fuss is about. 

Ridge 05 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

It's a fancy dress 'record'. In other news divers don't still wear lead boots with copper helmets, do they give the 'record' to a bloke wearing a pair of shorts who claims to be a free diver?

Ridge 05 May 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Actually, I think running a skirt would easier than running in trousers...

Only one way to find out...

In reply to Offwidth:

This 5k is such an out-dated view of Chuck Norris too:

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27364044/chuck-norris-5k-results/

OP Offwidth 05 May 2019
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

That's a brilliant event I'd never heard of.... cheers.

On my point, now imagine a rule that said you can't wear something due to the rules that Chuck wore all the time.

duchessofmalfi 05 May 2019

Here's how to fix it:

GWR changes the existing WR to "running as a Carry On nurse".

From now on admits running in a nurse's outfit as "running as a nurse".

AFAIK my dad (who is a nurse and a marathon runner) has never worn a skirt to work (but he did have an upside-down watch).

Tom Last 06 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Dammit. I read this as “Sexiest Guinness World Records”, oh well. 

Bellie 06 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm still annoyed my marathon record attempt running as 'Benny Hill', was discounted due to not having the required French maid running ahead of me for the entire time. I almost patted the official's baldy head in frustration.

Post edited at 11:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...