Setting up shop in France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supersteve 04 Sep 2020

Having moved to France a while back, I have been in contact with my old employer as they are keen for me to work for them again via a European depot. As much as I would like it to be as simple as just popping another address on the website, the business and tax implications are quite different. Does anyone on here have any experience of doing the same thing - i.e. setting up or working for a UK company, but not in the UK and with a separate set of clients, suppliers, etc. I am waiting to hear from InExtenso who apparently deal in this line of work, but keen to hear from others who may be able to assist. 

jon 04 Sep 2020
In reply to supersteve:

Firstly do you have a carte de séjour/nationality?

Secondly try joining a fb group like for instance Strictly Fiscal France: https://www.facebook.com/groups/strictlyfiscalfrance/?multi_permalinks=6043...  which looks promising for you.

OP supersteve 04 Sep 2020
In reply to jon:

Still have my British nationality (not letting go of that!) but as I have lived and worked over here for 2 years I have a French tax code and am fully integrated into their complex system. It's more about setting up the business in France so I can be it's employee (with others to hopefully join further along the road). 

jon 04 Sep 2020
In reply to supersteve:

Just for info, you don't lose your British nationality, you get dual nationality.

Try that fb group. pretty sur they'd answer some of your questions.

yorkshireman 04 Sep 2020
In reply to supersteve:

I moved to France in 2012 and carried on working freelance for my old employer for a year. I've set up a SARL that I invoice from and draw a nominal salary taking shareholder loans etc. I went perm for six years for a company in Paris but am now back contracting for a UK company with the same setup as before. I don't know what line of work you're in so might not be relevant - my long term future is here in France and I have a normal office job I can mostly do from home.

Quite frankly I pay an accountancy to deal with everything and I'm sure they more than pay for themselves with the savings I make with minimising my tax liability. I use a company called Sareg (they're all Englis speaking) based near Annecy and they also do my and my wife's personal income tax declarations too - I'd say its definitely worth it as the regulations fry my brain, even worse in a second language.

In reply to jon:

I will have a look at the FB group - they seem pretty useful. I also have an initial phone meeting on Monday now with InExtenso so will be good to see what they offer. My brother in law is a French tax lawyer, so I will make the most of his knowledge too. 

In reply to yorkshireman:

The company is wholesale distribution and I helped with a number of areas. I did think about going the SARL route, invoicing them and taking a salary, but was concerned how the tax man would view me having only one client.....in the UK. i.e. it would be quite clear I am working for a UK company from France. I assume that as I will be paying tax in France, they won't care, but this is France. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...