Setting up an iPhone for a child

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 21 Aug 2019

Help! Against my better judgement my other half has bought our daughter a secondhand iPhone, and it's fallen to me to get the bloody thing working 

It was reasonably straightforward, but I now need to set up an Apple ID, and the only way to set up an Apple ID for a child is with an adult Apple ID. And the only way to set up an adult Apple ID is on a Apple device. WTF!? My daughter's phone is the only Apple device I have access to ( and that's one too many IMO). A bit of Googling hasn't come up with any solution that doesn't involve a Mac or iPhone. I only have PCs and Android devices - this experience is exactly the sort of thing that put me off Apple.

marsbar 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Hooo:

I think you may need to set up the phone for you, add her as a family member to make a child account and then log you out and log her in?  

OP Hooo 21 Aug 2019
In reply to marsbar:

That could work. A bit long winded, but I can't see why not.

Thanks

marsbar 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Hooo:

You probably already know this but make sure her location settings are not public and please warn her about talking to random people on social media.  

As a teacher I've had some scary incidents with pupils telling met their friend is off to meet up with someone they don't know.  

OP Hooo 21 Aug 2019
In reply to marsbar:

She's had an Android phone for a while, so we've been through all that. 

Bob Kemp 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Hooo:

marsbar's right - create an Apple ID for yourself, then go to Family Sharing and add your daughter. It is a bit lengthy but as well as getting her started it will offer you more control in the long run. 

Instructions here - 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201084

- and some pros and cons here:

https://www.technobezz.com/pros-cons-ios-family-sharing/

OP Hooo 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Thanks. That link points to the obvious easy answer - just use a false date of birth. There's no point in setting up my own Apple ID, as once I've given her the phone I'll have no way to access it for maintaining the account.

All set now.

summo 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Which would be worse?

A. Cut your losses now, sell the phone, buy android. Risking the wrath of your other half, which could not doubt have a half life of several years?

B. Loose your sanity and hours of your life with an apple product, then your child likes apple and your life will be ruined until they leave home?

ianstevens 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Hooo:

You can create and access your Apple ID online, via a browser: https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create 

Bob Kemp 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Fair enough. You might want to look at how you can set restrictions now - I know you can do this with a child's registration but I'm not sure what options there are with a fake adult ID. 

OP Hooo 21 Aug 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

Ah, so you can do it after all. Oh well, it's done now.

OP Hooo 21 Aug 2019
In reply to summo: 

For years we used Android for everyone. Everything was fine. Then child's peers all get Apple, and the nagging starts. Eventually my wife gives​ in, and a chunk of my life gets taken away. It would be fine if it wasn't me that had to deal with it

Toerag 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Why was an iphone bought for her in the first place?

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Toerag:

> Why was an iphone bought for her in the first place?

Do you understand reading?

"....child's peers all get Apple, and the nagging starts. Eventually my wife gives​ in"

Toerag 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Ah, I thought Hooo wasn't the OP. Must read things betterer.

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Toerag:

No probs, actually I had not checked which post you'd been replying to. All clear now then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...